LegacyGT.com

Questions From a New 2007 Legacy Owner

So, I have a new problem now. I my dashboard has a CHECK ENGINE light turned on. The Cruise light is flashing on the speedometer. The car won't let me switch to I or S#. Any suggestions? I looked on other forums (Outback, Tribeca, etc.) and they said it was a problem with the gas cap being loose or an emissions problem. I checked my gas cap and it seemed tight. I went and refueled though just in case. The light is still on. Other people said that they had an issue with the black canister on the looker's left in the engine bay. I'm assuming this is referring to the emissions scrubber? Where is the emissions scrubber on 4th gen Legacies?

I will be receiving an OBD2 scanner tomorrow. Will post the diagnostic code for reference when I figure it out. If this is familiar to anybody, please let me know. Should I take care of this myself, or just take it to a mechanic?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to know the CEL code first.

Most auto parts stores can read the code for free...

The CC light always flashes when you have CEL.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's my understanding a flashing CEL is indicative of an engine misfire and is a more serious form of having the CEL "illuminate". In the past such a condition could cause damage as unburnt fuel would pass through the cylinder and on its way through the exhaust system where it would damage the catalyst in the catalytic converter. I'm not sure if the same holds true today as the computer shuts down fuel to the affected cylinder preventing fuel from reaching the catalytic converter. However I would not stake my vehicles life on this so minimize driving if at all possible.

Having said all of that the takeaway from this response is a flashing CEL is unlikely to be the result of a loose gas cap.

He has a flashing CC. I read it as the CEL is on.

Flash CEL is serious.

Flashing CC is always when you have a CEL. You can't engage some of the functions.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Everything seems fine now. The CHECK ENGINE light is no longer there and the Cruise light is off. When people said it was their gas cap, they had to wait a bit before the light turned off. The light was on when I drove to school this morning, but it wasn't on during the drive home. I will call it resolved, but I will still check with the OBD2 scanner when it arrives.

Everything seems fine now. The CHECK ENGINE light is no longer there and the Cruise light is off. When people said it was their gas cap, they had to wait a bit before the light turned off. The light was on when I drove to school this morning, but it wasn't on during the drive home. I will call it resolved, but I will still check with the OBD2 scanner when it arrives.

I just had this exact same symptom happen to me a few weeks ago. Ended up being the oil level was low.

Oops, confused the two.

No problem, I've done the same, The rule is Flashing CEL is bad, That's why its trying to get your attention, solid is get it checked.

Also for info the CEL will reset after four engine starts if its just a opps type thing. Like when you float the car on snow and all four tires spin but the car is not able to move till you dig it out.

Done that more than once, Did it with my 00'GT wagon too.

Connected the OBD2 scanner today. It read one code. P0171. I cleared the code. I will check tomorrow to see if the code reads again.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trouble-codes-cels-26113.html

system too lean, check for a vacuum leak.

Zip tie all the vacuum hoses.

No problem, I've done the same, The rule is Flashing CEL is bad, That's why its trying to get your attention, solid is get it checked.

Also for info the CEL will reset after four engine starts if its just a opps type thing. Like when you float the car on snow and all four tires spin but the car is not able to move till you dig it out.

Done that more than once, Did it with my 00'GT wagon too.

The CEL wasn't flashing. It was just solid. The cruise control light was flashing. Figured out that the car won't let you use cruise when the CEL is on.

So today I learned the downside to owning a Subaru. I was on my way to pick up a family member, when all of a sudden this bright green Honda Civic pulls into my rear view mirror. I was on a one lane road at the time, so the Civic couldn't pull up next to me. I guess he really wanted to drag though because he followed me into the neighborhood where I was picking up someone. When I pulled into the driveway, he circled around the block until I pulled back out. When I started to leave the neighborhood, he followed me further until I flashed my brake lights a few times. Then he stopped tailgating me a left. Usually I would think this was a coincidence, but the fact that the Civic was lowered and had under spoilers, as well as when he circled the block of which I was parked, led me to believe he had a slight case of riceritis.

So, the one downside of owning a Subaru is that Honda ricers want to drag. :/

So today I learned the downside to owning a Subaru. I was on my way to pick up a family member, when all of a sudden this bright green Honda Civic pulls into my rear view mirror. I was on a one lane road at the time, so the Civic couldn't pull up next to me. I guess he really wanted to drag though because he followed me into the neighborhood where I was picking up someone. When I pulled into the driveway, he circled around the block until I pulled back out. When I started to leave the neighborhood, he followed me further until I flashed my brake lights a few times. Then he stopped tailgating me a left. Usually I would think this was a coincidence, but the fact that the Civic was lowered and had under spoilers, as well as when he circled the block of which I was parked, led me to believe he had a slight case of riceritis.

So, the one downside of owning a Subaru is that Honda ricers want to drag. :/

I can't believe he actually followed you. It's one thing to do an impulsive street drag when you're lined up side by side. It's another to follow you around in an attempt to do it. I guess this was his way of trying to be a man.

The CEL wasn't flashing. It was just solid. The cruise control light was flashing. Figured out that the car won't let you use cruise when the CEL is on.

Max was speaking in a generic sense since I had mistaken your flashing CC as a flashing CEL. Max corrected my error and then went on to speak in a generic manner.

So, I decided to try and clean up some of the scratches and fog on my headlights. I used this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY]3M headlight restoration kit[/ame] and unfortunately got below average results. I will post a picture of what I mean, but in short, there are tons of microscratches and some areas seem worse than when they started. I'm going to blame myself for this one since I wasn't using the fastest of drills. However, does anyone think it can be fixed? Or should I just save up for some new lenses. I previously used [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wipe-New-HDL6PCMTRRT-Headlight-Restore/dp/B00K889FCI/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1463489321&sr=1-7&keywords=headlight+restoration]this Wipe New kit[/ame] on a previous vehicle, and it cleared up the lense just fine. Problem is, I don't know if it is enough to fix any damage I might have done.

You can pretty much fix anything like that.

You can start with a 400 grit wet/dry paper and work your way to the polishing pads. It just takes time.

There a video's and post about all over the web. Don't worry.

I think I use the Mothers kit once a year.

I've actually had good results with the 3M kit. You could try checking out ammonyc's video on headlight cleaning methods - he does all the sanding by hand on one example, which seems really effective.

That's fine focus on finals the car wait.

I think 5eat's have a dip stick in the drivers side back by the brake boost for the front diff.

Sorry, late as hell to the party as usual.

Drives side dip stick is for the ATF-HP

This tiny one placed conveniently behind the downpipe for you to burn yourself every time is for the gear oil. I asked years and years ago but don't think I got an answer. Can us 5eats use the blue 5/6MT dipsticks there so we aren't playing hot potato with the DP?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/1444653160_ee4223342a_b_1.jpg~original

So, I decided to try and clean up some of the scratches and fog on my headlights. I used this 3M headlight restoration kit and unfortunately got below average results. I will post a picture of what I mean, but in short, there are tons of microscratches and some areas seem worse than when they started. I'm going to blame myself for this one since I wasn't using the fastest of drills. However, does anyone think it can be fixed? Or should I just save up for some new lenses. I previously used this Wipe New kit on a previous vehicle, and it cleared up the lense just fine. Problem is, I don't know if it is enough to fix any damage I might have done.

Use the following. Works amazingly well:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/headlight-restoration-guide-201687.html

Archived