LegacyGT.com

Questions From a New 2007 Legacy Owner

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see he has a link in the first "here" to a fuel pressure gauge install.

I'm only going to do the modifications of necessary. I was wondering if there was a way to see if the fuel pressure was sufficient without a gauge so I don't have to go and buy one. If the fuel pressure is the problem, I will do most of the modifications since I will already need to mess with the fuel pump.

EDIT: I've looked around, and a pressure gauge seems like the only option. I will go and buy one to test the fuel system.

EDIT2: Do I need to cut the fuel line and install a gauge to check the pressure? Is there not some port to check the fuel pressure in the engine bay?

I'm only going to do the modifications of necessary. I was wondering if there was a way to see if the fuel pressure was sufficient without a gauge so I don't have to go and buy one. If the fuel pressure is the problem, I will do most of the modifications since I will already need to mess with the fuel pump.

EDIT: I've looked around, and a pressure gauge seems like the only option. I will go and buy one to test the fuel system.

EDIT2: Do I need to cut the fuel line and install a gauge to check the pressure? Is there not some port to check the fuel pressure in the engine bay?

You can buy some fuel line and a pressure gauge for under $15 at a local auto parts store. You're also going to want to get a "T" for the fuel line. At some point in the feed line your going to splice in the T and add a length of hose to the gauge. Leave enough hose to feed the gauge up to your windshield and place the gauge there and go for a drive monitoring the fuel pressure. You want to make sure it rises with boost and doesn't fall off at idle.

That's the cheapest way to test. Otherwise you can install a permanent gauge for piece of mind.

I know Max mentioned a vacuum/boost leak test. Have you done that yet? It almost sounds like that could be your issue. Wanting to stall when the revs come down and leaning out could mean a leak.

Yep. What I did was let the car idle while spraying certain areas described in this thread with CRC brake cleaner. I listened for a change in the idle noise, but nothing ever came from it. I was pretty sure I would have a leak, but there doesn't seem to be one.

This was the reason I asked for a video of someone driving a working car. I was going to compare engine and turbo noise to see if mine had any unusual whistles or tones.

That will work fine if you have leaks in your tgv or intake gaskets, but what about the miles of vacuum lines? I would try the test described here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/checking-general-health-your-engine-and-tune-210369.html

Could you clarify what I think I'm reading? What I think is the process is to remove the air intake and spray aerosol into it. Then I just listen for leaks? Also, can I use the brake cleaner from my last test? I guessing no since the directions say a can of aerosol or spray paint (I'm assuming the paint is empty).

You remove your intake and you use the end of a can to block off the turbo inlet so no air gets in or out. You then remove the vacuum line to the bpv and attempt to blow into it with your mouth. You should be able to build a few pounds of pressure and it should hold for a little while. If air just escapes you will hear it coming from somewhere under the hood and should be able to track it down. I've used this test dozens of times.

You don't actually spray any aerosol in

I think you want a fluid filled gauge, so the needle doesn't bounce around. I think that's what we used on the race car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I got around to installing the O2 sensor yesterday. Wasn't too difficult except I couldn't find a 7/8" tool anywhere. The car seems to be more consistent with idle RPMs. I do have a small problem still where the car will "half stall." The car feels like it is going to stall like before, then the tachometer drops below 500RPM. Instead of stalling though, the engine suddenly jumps up and prevents a stall. Any thoughts?

I've got a few error codes that I haven't seen before. P0302 and P0304. I also have P0171 and P0301 pending. I've already read that these are misfires. Where should I start to diagnose this? I've already cleared the codes once, and they came back pretty fast. The CEL is on too.

Also, when I started my car the next morning after the O2 Sensor install, it took a few turns of the key to get it running. I had taken it for a test drive the night before and it started fine. I haven't had a weird start since. Could it be related?

^ that's the first step, and it's free.

Every now and then my wagon will take a extra crank or two too start. It did a few weeks back fora couple mornings, hasn't done it since.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

This little filter is a bit chewed up, but that is the only problem I can find in the vacuum lines.

What I'm starting to think is that the previous owner left the car sitting for some time with gas in it. I'm guessing the car wasn't driven too often since it only has 40000 miles over 10 years. My hypothesis is that the old crappy gas got cycled through the system and gunked up any filters or lines causing a low fuel pressure. I can't test anything just yet, but I am working on setting up a gauge.

unnamed.jpg.d6c0b22e794b2074954651a5291d1718.jpg

This is really strange. The code never seems to stay on in the car. It kind of switches between various misfire codes and sometimes no codes at all. Even the CEL can't decide if it wants to stay on or off. I haven't cleared anything either.

So today I discovered one of my ground straps broke in the engine bay. Not sure how long it has been that way, but it seemed like it had broken for a while. I replaced it. What would a broken ground strap have caused?

You should replace both of those ground wires. Not sure exactly what they will cause, but you want good grounds, clean all of them. Those two seem be the only ones that need replacing.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5218_zps47b42c1c.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5215_zps4651c6e9.jpg

Archived