LegacyGT.com

Cadillac ATS Brembo Caliper Upgrade for your Subaru

LatentWagen

Is it me or does it look like the pad is only contacting the outer half of the rotor? Is this what STI brembos also look like on our cars?

That was my same concern, the bracket looks like it pushes the caliper too far outward. I did message the company that makes the bracket, and they did confirm that all the pad is in use. The STI brembos also look like they sit closer to the rotor.

[ATTACH]229083[/ATTACH]

Here's one I just took now.

Combined below, with higher resolution.

My 17" vs your 18" wheels is a little tricky to size up right. If you have a perfect "face on" shot, the comparison would be a little better scaled.

As you wear your rotors more, the pad swept area will be more clear, but right now it looks like you're missing a little on the inside of the rotor (probably not a big deal, in terms of torque applied, might be weird for rotor wear, though).

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=229096&stc=1&d=1461690817

comparo.thumb.jpg.f1e7eb85036275e7fbc488701c01e6ec.jpg

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Combined below, with higher resolution.

My 17" vs your 18" wheels is a little tricky to size up right. If you have a perfect "face on" shot, the comparison would be a little better scaled.

As you wear your rotors more, the pad swept area will be more clear, but right now it looks like you're missing a little on the inside of the rotor (probably not a big deal, in terms of torque applied, might be weird for rotor wear, though).

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=229096&stc=1&d=1461690817

i understand what you mean. this used to be a "problem" with wilwood bbk for the bugeye back in the day. not enough towards the inside. i believe the pad is making contact with the rotor fully.

Image1461694175.454591.jpg.197bf6bcb938ff01002e634c1c8f4a04.jpg

ill contact CTSV and see what they say.

Don't get me wrong. i'd prefer a matched brembo setup for the car but given the price tag. I couldn't turn it down. it functions similarly to my STI brembo setup on my STI so i cannot complain here either.

Edited by iNfEk

So just to summarize, what size rotor do you have, tire and wheel specs?

thanks for doing and sharing all this man.

13 x 13 x 3.5 inches is the rotor size according to power slot

wheels are 18x9.5

thanks.

Tire size?

245/40

i'm trying to stay on topic here. no offense but wheel and tire specs don't really have to do with this mod. as long as you're 18s you should be good.

on a side note though. i'm in contact with CTSV and i've gotta double check a few things to confirm before proceeding.

there might be some pad overhanging at the moment unfortunately and though it's minor that may be a problem.

i'm hopeful that CTSV will correct for this

I'm sure if you have 18s with shitty offset you would have to worry about it.

No kidding. Wheels are incredibly relevant to this thread because many 18" wheels won't work with these brake calipers. The 18" wheels need to have the a reasonable offset and spokes that stay arched out. The OE Legacy 18" wheels (Spec B and 3.0R) will definitely not work. And wheel offset, width and tire size all play a role in whether they can fit without rubbing.

I suppose the key is using 18" wheels that are known to clear STI Brembos with minimal, or ideally no, wheel spacer. Wheel spacers introduce their own sets of challenges. This is such a popular topic that a lengthy thread exists on NASIOC that lists specific wheels that are known to fit STI brembos: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448097

i understand what you mean. this used to be a "problem" with wilwood bbk for the bugeye back in the day. not enough towards the inside. i believe the pad is making contact with the rotor fully.

[ATTACH]229102[/ATTACH]

ill contact CTSV and see what they say.

Don't get me wrong. i'd prefer a matched brembo setup for the car but given the price tag. I couldn't turn it down. it functions similarly to my STI brembo setup on my STI so i cannot complain here either.

Um.... that caliper is on the wrong side of the car. Bleeders should be UP.

I'm with you here. Put it this way, I won't be buying STi Brembos for the Saabaru, but I am really considering these. The 18"s are the only issue for me. I really think with a little grinding, they'd clear some 17"s... When I have a few bucks free in the mod fund, I'll try to test fit one ATS caliper on my Legacy, and see how much material needs to come off to make it fit under the 17"s.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Um.... that caliper is on the wrong side of the car. Bleeders should be UP.

I don't think it'll matter much since the housing is symmetrical. but ok I'll look into that as well.

Image1461705216.837135.jpg.f1ff57e0c06fa7278db6466d641149fe.jpg

Image1461705233.739976.jpg.82b641f4268dad7f2ff7bb80c105210a.jpg

Edited by iNfEk

^ The bleed screws aim upwards so that you can bleed out all the air. If they aim downwards, the bubbles can get trapped in the top of the caliper. Even though the calipers are symmetrical, the bleed screw direction does matter.

^ The bleed screws aim upwards so that you can bleed out all the air. If they aim downwards, the bubbles can get trapped in the top of the caliper. Even though the calipers are symmetrical, the bleed screw direction does matter.

I hear you on this...

I use a power pressure bleeder so the air is just pushed out anyway.

Ive bled both with the power bleeder and then the manual way with two people.

There is no air in the caliper. But...

I will also spin the caliper around so that can be a non-issue when I post pictures.

I can't tell if the small things that are being pointed out or actually to help the cause or hurt the cause.

When I said it didn't matter much… I was referring to how it physically mounts than pressure. It has about inch or just under an inch from the rotor top hat so I thought the concern was to make sure that the pad itself is being fully utilized on the rotor.

EDIT: stupid Siri

Edited by iNfEk

So basically you want a detailed DIY tutorial or YouTube video to show you the whole process?

On their FB page, someone mentioned that you CANNOT use STI BBS wheels without modifying either the caliper or wheels inner barrel. Neither is safe.

Both materials and what's involved with the install can be had through CTSVs install guide.

Yeah because that's what I asked.

One person on their Facebook thread said that they don't work, I believe it but I'd like more information.

I've modified calipers before in this fashion, I was just wondering if anyone had any more experience than a post on Facebook. Your pictures do help.

Yeah because that's what I asked.

One person on their Facebook thread said that they don't work, I believe it but I'd like more information.

I've modified calipers before in this fashion, I was just wondering if anyone had any more experience than a post on Facebook. Your pictures do help.

honestly the first "retrofit" style bbk i've done before so it's a little weird but very similar to just bolting on a BBK that requires a bracket (like the 05+ STI rear brembos)

I'll "correct" a few things that are stopping people from seeing the bigger picture of this inexpensive modification.

The guy that posted that kit above sold it for under $600 which is damn cheap!

further, no required rear setup due to the way the brake bias is required but a lot of people will opt to change the rear for ascetics really.

I'm trying to help the community as much as i can without spoon feeding really. though i feel that unless I do, the LGT community won't fully embrace it. LOL

Anyway, stick around and I'll do what I can to help get people on board with this. I think there are a few other people that purchased this so with my "mistakes" others won't make them and we can move forward faster.

I'm not the youtuber type so i won't be making a video tutorial but the instructions that you can download from their website is pretty straight forward.

Edited by iNfEk

I suppose the key is using 18" wheels that are known to clear STI Brembos with minimal, or ideally no, wheel spacer. Wheel spacers introduce their own sets of challenges. This is such a popular topic that a lengthy thread exists on NASIOC that lists specific wheels that are known to fit STI brembos: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448097

Yea i agree. If the 18's clear sti brembos , then they can clear this. The only problem with 17's is that the ATS brembos are too long and not modular like the sti brembos.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.