LegacyGT.com

Cadillac ATS Brembo Caliper Upgrade for your Subaru

LatentWagen

i said "stock sized" not stock parts.

what kind of feel? i prefer the stock progressive feel. the more you push down the more it stops. not the common super boost and then nothing after.

If you think the stock brakes are "progressive" then you really ought to go out and drive some other cars! If pure progression is your goal, the stock sliders aren't the brakes you're looking for...

never done brembos. which ones are you referring to and on what car? brembo bbk? on a legacy? haha. never will. i would have bought a different car instead.

I've probably driven fifty different cars with Brembos. Used to work at a fancy dealer. Never driven a Legacy with a proper Brembo BBK (just my LGT with STi B's).

ive tried hawks on stock rotors. then tried stoptech pads on dba. will NEVER buy hawks again.

We can definitely agree that Hawk's street pads do suck (used to be HPS, not sure what they're using now), I've faded them out on a stock braking setup, and they came with my Brembos, wasn't a fan.

maybe our preferences are different. i want pure progression and maybe you want super boost. and thats ok.

To clear it up (not sure why you assumed otherwise), I much prefer a consistent, linear pedal, too. I have to admit that "super boost" does sound pretty awesome, but only if there is red covered button for it :cool:

Anybody up for a Super Boost button group buy?

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

The housing of the ATS IS larger than the STI Brembo setup. Idk if it's just the housing or the actual internals are bigger. So far I kind of like them on the LGT. they're made by brembo so I'd imagine their quality is the same even though it's for a Cadillac.

The kit comes with a tap for the bottom mounting hole for the bracket. I decided not to tap it but use a 12x1.25 x 60 (didn't have 55) 8.8 grade bolt and nylon lock nut. You will

Need to drill the top hole to 9/16" to allow for the larger bolt to caliper if you install it. Dust shield is mandatory to come off.

Image1461573638.462999.jpg.ed6b40e655f27e4be95b48ed28ede30d.jpg

Hub spacer to rotor (included)

Passenger side bracket

No dust shield

Top hole drilled out for larger bolt (included bolt)

Bottom stock size will fit 12x1.25x60 bolt if you go from out to in (purchased separately)

Don't mind the axle nut it got replaced

Don't mind that the bracket is installed upside down in this shot LOL.

Edited by iNfEk

What's this "drilling" bit? Thought these were bolt-up and go.

How much would the dust shield have to be cut to fit the caliper in there, or is it more a function of the rotor size?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

What's this "drilling" bit? Thought these were bolt-up and go.

How much would the dust shield have to be cut to fit the caliper in there, or is it more a function of the rotor size?

No cutting of dust shield. Just remove it. Dust shield doesn't prevent or keep dust from accumulating on your wheels. It also helps little rocks get stuck between your rotor and dust shield. You'd need to cut down all the way to the hub since the larger and thicker STI Rotor will make direct contact.

Drilling is required for you to be able to fit the larger M14x2.0 bolt the caliper needs to mount. The bracket just allows you to use the brake caliper since the mounting holes on our hubs are wider.

Here's the knuckle without the wheel bearing cartridge or wheel hub installed.

Image1461604199.047930.jpg.d7b99c8d0de4fc9ca66b8aca482226bf.jpg

You do NOT need to remove the axle to remove the hub bearing cartridge. I would recommend removing the ABS sensor though.

Tie rod end is NOT required to be removed either.

Edited by iNfEk

Image1461608035.165906.jpg.3270e4c2764b1af3b197ddc8a4e6a6c8.jpg

The caliper is in a similar position. As the STI brembo when mounted. So far braking feels pretty balanced with the stock rears. I may decide to put a STI brembo rear or Subaru 2 pot (JDM or USDM). we will see

Is there a significant difference in brake feel?

not sure i know how to answer this question or whats actually being asked here.

it's a significant upgrade up front to the braking system. YES, it feels different. it's 4 pistons vs 2 pistons and a lot larger rotor thats vented.

I did upgrade my lines prior and also have a MBC bracket so my brake feel may not be the same as your stock.

Have you driven a car with a BBK before? honestly the LGT front brakes are pretty decent. but being able to stop better is a bonus for me. not that i'm going to be romping round and such. Further, given the price of this upgrade... It's well worth it in my opinion

Look at the first post on this thread, very comparable in size.

Unfortunately those pictures don't show me anything of use except "LOOK! BREMBOS!"

I mean dimension and such. I want to know how much is needed to be removed from the caliper to use STI BBS of at all possible.

Drilling is required for you to be able to fit the larger M14x2.0 bolt the caliper needs to mount. The bracket just allows you to use the brake caliper since the mounting holes on our hubs are wider.

Drilling the control arm hole, right? So this impacts being able to go back to stock calipers?

Drilling the control arm hole, right? So this impacts being able to go back to stock calipers?

No. Top hole on the knuckle. Didn't say control arm anywhere.

No it doesn't either. The hole just gets bigger to accommodate a bigger bolt for the top. You can go back if you need to

So has anyone answered for certain if you have to have 18s for this?

18s are a good idea. I'm using 18s right now. Unless the 17s have a thin inner barrel you'll need 18s.

I also mentioned earlier the stock LGT wheels will not fit.

Image1461645178.174477.jpg.191c8f763e97c5c33be1f5a5a600215f.jpg

These are 18s. Look how close it is to the inner barrel. No way STI BBS or similar 17s will fit. The upgraded/larger STI rotors that are required barely fit the stock 17s

Unfortunately those pictures don't show me anything of use except "LOOK! BREMBOS!"

I mean dimension and such. I want to know how much is needed to be removed from the caliper to use STI BBS of at all possible.

So basically you want a detailed DIY tutorial or YouTube video to show you the whole process?

On their FB page, someone mentioned that you CANNOT use STI BBS wheels without modifying either the caliper or wheels inner barrel. Neither is safe.

Both materials and what's involved with the install can be had through CTSVs install guide.

Edited by iNfEk

[ATTACH]229012[/ATTACH]

The caliper is in a similar position. As the STI brembo when mounted. So far braking feels pretty balanced with the stock rears. I may decide to put a STI brembo rear or Subaru 2 pot (JDM or USDM). we will see

Is it me or does it look like the pad is only contacting the outer half of the rotor? Is this what STI brembos also look like on our cars?

Is it me or does it look like the pad is only contacting the outer half of the rotor? Is this what STI brembos also look like on our cars?

Hmm. Maybe the pic I posted is when the bracket was flipped upside down. I'll get updated ones later today.

Just reposting your guys pics for easier comparison.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=229082&d=1461686259

No worries. This was a test for pic and is being held on with zip ties [emoji23] I'll get updated pics later today.