LegacyGT.com

Cadillac ATS Brembo Caliper Upgrade for your Subaru

LatentWagen

Gee whiz, things sure heat up quickly over there.

Thanks LegacyGT.com for not being full of d-bags like that "other" site.

As hillbillies from my area say "ain't no way" I'm buying these if they don't fit inside my OEM 17's. I can probably justify spending cash on calipers and rotors, but if new wheels/tires showed up my wife would know I was up to no good. It'd be a different story if someone made 18's that looked just like my 17's :cool:

I once hit a really bad pot hole. It cracked two of my wheels on the right side. They wouldn't hold air, you know, slow leak kinda thing. And did you know it's less expensive to get four aftermarket wheels than replace two oem wheels?

True story.

Sooooooooo I see how the fronts fit just like usdm Sti brembos, but I'm still waiting for a for sure that the rears swap, or maybe I missed it?

Idk bout you but form<function but I mean it would look awful goofy with a massive caddy front brembo and baby stock lgt caliper in the back haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooooooooo I see how the fronts fit just like usdm Sti brembos, but I'm still waiting for a for sure that the rears swap, or maybe I missed it?

Idk bout you but form<function but I mean it would look awful goofy with a massive caddy front brembo and baby stock lgt caliper in the back haha

This is more of a function > form kind of mod. Most people who are doing this are looking for braking improvement on a budget, and while a rear brake upgrade can be worthwhile from a balance perspective, it likely wouldn't offer as much bang for your buck as this front-only upgrade.

And plenty of OEM cars/SUVs come equipped with big fixed calipers up front and small sliders in the back. Front biased brakes and under-steer at the limits are safety/tuning philosophies for most OEMs these days, it seems.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

There is this. Which is awesome from a looks perspective, get the rear rotor to the back of the car. I wonder how much it will mess with my brake bias if I did just that. Would love the look of it.

Here's a brake bias idea. They make a bracket to use LGT front rotors on the rear of the car with the stock rear calipers. If you're buying ATS rotors and you don't have too many miles on the fronts just slap em on the back with this bracket.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Subaru-REAR-CB09D-p/cb09d.htm

They make a whole kit but the rotors are $$$

Yeah I guess so. I already talked to my best friend who is a professional painter. I had the idea of respraying the caddy brembos a gloss black then instead of the GD brembo sticker, id get one made that said " Spec" then the brembo logo ( the b in a circle) so it kinda looks like spec B and paint the lettering in gold

Yeah I guess so. I already talked to my best friend who is a professional painter. I had the idea of respraying the caddy brembos a gloss black then instead of the GD brembo sticker, id get one made that said " Spec" then the brembo logo ( the b in a circle) so it kinda looks like spec B and paint the lettering in gold

I considered refinishing my Brembos with the spec.B logo, but never thought about combining it with the Brembo (b) ... make it happen! :)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

hmmm

i have to throw in some questions...

good pads have a good amount of dust. just the way it is. BUT many complain about the dusting and then use lesser pads.

what is the over all point of using bigger rotors etc if people are going to use less than great pads?

wouldnt good grippy pads on some stock sized rotors be just as good? i mean its tire friction related when it comes down to it. ive also had the stoptech pads on dba 4k rotors with a stink i can smell inside the car with windows closed and there was no fade.

outside of trying for a 'look" like people go for sound with bov's whats the desire for this setup?

I can't say for certain, but it seems the iDea is that if the stock brake calipers are not that great, and upgrading to Brembos is the best way to go, then prehaps these low cost Brembos are a more cost effective option than the regular Brembos.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

wouldnt good grippy pads on some stock sized rotors be just as good?

In terms of stopping the car once? Sure. 10x in a row, maybe not as good. I've had my stock brakes glowing in the daytime, billowing smoke. Never done that to the Brembo/DBA setup.

But IMO it's mostly about feel... just like modifying your suspension, it's very rewarding. And you can use and appreciate your upgraded brakes all the time, not just at the limit or at WOT. Have you driven a Brembo-equipped car before? If not, go test drive one and you'll probably get it.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Honestly, I don't think the oem calipers are that bad. If you want a BBK for whatever reason, this is a solid deal. If your calipers are in need of replacement, this is also a solid deal.

Agree completely. There are many other "upgrades" I'd rather do first, but this is interesting.

Honestly, I don't think the oem calipers are that bad. If you want a BBK for whatever reason, this is a solid deal. If your calipers are in need of replacement, this is also a solid deal.

This is great for Outback owners running 18s. We have smaller front calipers and rotors than the LGT. I picked up some LGT calipers, but still need pads and rotors. I'm thinking of selling the LGT calipers, since I have little into them, and going with these for a HUGE upgrade compared to stock Outback. I'm sure I'll want to look into rear upgrade too...

The H6 caliper bracket to run LGT front rear rotors in the rear, might be an option.

https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/972_1003+Brake+Upgrades+Rear+H6+Brake+Upgrade+

Edited by rebourne

This is great for Outback owners running 18s. We have smaller front calipers and rotors than the LGT. I picked up some LGT calipers, but still need pads and rotors. I'm thinking of selling the LGT calipers, since I have little into them, and going with these for a HUGE upgrade compared to stock Outback. I'm sure I'll want to look into rear upgrade too...

The H6 caliper bracket to run LGT front rotors in the rear, might be an option.

https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/972_1003+Brake+Upgrades+Rear+H6+Brake+Upgrade+

I know! We just upgraded my buddy's 09 XT to LGT brakes last year. I wish we knew about this before we did the work!!

The H6 caliper bracket to run LGT Rear rotors in the rear, might be an option.

FTFY

Here's a brake bias idea. They make a bracket to use LGT front rotors on the rear of the car with the stock rear calipers. If you're buying ATS rotors and you don't have too many miles on the fronts just slap em on the back with this bracket.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Subaru-REAR-CB09D-p/cb09d.htm

They make a whole kit but the rotors are $$$

Doesn't this kit use a rotor the same size as the front, but not literally the front rotors? Because parking brake.

They list these as rotors that fit this setup http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=9160-01

The H6 caliper bracket to run LGT front rear rotors in the rear, might be an option.

FTFY

Thanks. edited op

I have to say I am not sure the H6 brackets fit the OBXT. Can't figure it out on KNS's website.

Thanks. edited op

I have to say I am not sure the H6 brackets fit the OBXT. Can't figure it out on KNS's website.

Just run LGT calipers in the rear. The LGT rears rotors aren't any bigger, but they accommodate a vented / slotted rotor. The OBXT is solid.

Thanks. edited op

Yes it fits. I did the rear H6 upgrade with centric rotors and hawk ceramic in the rear a few months back and the bias and bite are definitely improved. It doesn't nosedive nearly as hard either. It will not be as good of a track upgrade as a rear vented rotor but for spirited driving, street use, and towing I would definitely recommend the H6 rear upgrade.

Yes it fits. I did the rear H6 upgrade with centric rotors and hawk ceramic in the rear a few months back and the bias and bite are definitely improved. It doesn't nosedive nearly as hard either. It will not be as good of a track upgrade as a rear vented rotor but for spirited driving, street use, and towing I would definitely recommend the H6 rear upgrade.

You're right with this... I forgot we did the H6 upgrade on our first Saabaru and the extra torque from the larger rear rotors really helped to stabilize the car under heavy braking. As said, the whole car squats, rather than just the front nose-diving (which might be made worse if you only upgrade the fronts).

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

See user DocHolliday here on LGT.com for all your vinyl sticker needs! You can probably get the logo printed whatever color you want. Gloss black. Sticker. Clearcoat. Done.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-legacy-gt-sticker-connection-151856.html?highlight=doc+holladay

Enjoy!

Edited by Dujo

In terms of stopping the car once? Sure. 10x in a row, maybe not as good. I've had my stock brakes glowing in the daytime, billowing smoke. Never done that to the Brembo/DBA setup.

But IMO it's mostly about feel... just like modifying your suspension, it's very rewarding. And you can use and appreciate your upgraded brakes all the time, not just at the limit or at WOT. Have you driven a Brembo-equipped car before? If not, go test drive one and you'll probably get it.

i said "stock sized" not stock parts.

what kind of feel? i prefer the stock progressive feel. the more you push down the more it stops. not the common super boost and then nothing after.

never done brembos. which ones are you referring to and on what car? brembo bbk? on a legacy? haha. never will. i would have bought a different car instead.

ive tried hawks on stock rotors. then tried stoptech pads on dba. will NEVER buy hawks again.

maybe our preferences are different. i want pure progression and maybe you want super boost. and thats ok.