LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

First impressions are the interior is well thought out. Easily accessible. What's there 'makes sense' even when it comes to the materials. Come people might think it would come across as cheap, I don't hoqvee think that way. Considering if it's dirty it makes things easier to clean up with harder plastics and rubber.

The interior is really quiet for the most part with having a soft top. Two people can talk like normal, even on the interstate semi trucks don't really make a difference. Or maybe I just don't pay that close attention. Stereo though is lack luster. So I'll be replacing speakers soon. Plus needs to be loud for when I take the top totally off.

As for the ride. Suspension is firm, but also very smooth. First time in a long time that driving 8hrs+ didn't affect my back. When I say it's 10million times better than any jeep I truly mean that. Hardly any body roll, wind doesn't push you around too bad. And considering I just drove across Wyoming at 70-85mph with 30 to 60mph wind gusts it did great. Still got 19 or so mpgs fighting that. I think it's rated to get around 22? I'm not sure yet. I do know that premium and regular can be ran and makes a world of difference. The dealer filled it with 89 I bet because once I got through that first tank it really woke itself up. Several modes for sport, eco, normal, slippery, sand, etc I'll have to play with. The 3point trail assist is pretty wild to do. Spin a 360 super easy.

For being the 2.3l it moves. Lots of torque, drove 6-9% grades with elevation changes from 4200ft to almost 9000. Pulled just fine with the cruise set. The trans feels really good. First few gears are short so that takes awhile to get used to around town. Otherwise no complaints.

I've been following bronco stuff for nearly 5 or 6 years for this one to be made. I'm sure the higher trim levels are much nicer and comparable to the explorer in terms of amenities. Of course price jumps up significantly. I couldn't be more satisfied to have one. I see what the hype is about. For my lifestyle it's very practical and capable to hit the highway or a trail. Ill make some improvements to my liking. Feel free to keep enabling me, Subaru or not.

No kidding? Lots of beautiful country in Wyoming. Most think is nothing because they only drive along I80 which isn't really much to see.

You're from the pretty side, I'm from Torrington. Lots of prairie my way.

That photo was probably around Cokeville area.Weather was nasty around Cheyenne to Elk Mountain, so I avoided all that best I could.

There was about 30more of them when I pulled over, kinda spooked them. So I was nervous I wasn't going to be able to fit them in. Thought it was destiny to come across some. Rarely do you see a group near the highway. Plenty wild horses/broncs out here in Idaho too.

• 4 weeks later...
*gasp* the EJ is finally dead?! yeah not surprised on that note...kinda sad to see it go...was hoping they could have partnered with toyota to bring in a mild hybrid system to spank some torque in and use the new 2.4t and really get it going but, guess not. almost feels like when mitsu pulled the plug on the evo...end of an era.

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd show off my new recent purchase. 1990 base model, fwd, auto, legacy wagon. One of those little old lady stories and has 123k on it.

The interior is spotless and just needs a simple cleaning.

I'll get the outside better cleaned for now it was a quick rinse off. Had moss and years worth of dirt in the fender wells, surprised there is no rust.

The 500+ mile adventure home was another story in it's own for ignore the most matched tires. That's only temporary as I had a flat on the way home....

Also new wheels on the Bronco for anyone that noticed. I'll be taking them off and go back to stock though. I'm going to sell it for more of a performance wagon/SUV of some kind.

Otherwise get 03-04mach 1 mustang, cobra, or Saleen/Roush of some kind. cf0aeaafb7f93751ab051a39be66b474.jpg1b9dc7de3f76ac5e34177f9d3d58ade0.jpg4ec95a2410e457af543c4ebac02c6c0b.jpg5b49c62eaf966fcea0178cfaa0421a85.jpg62b6d89d1e375f7ae970eae7fddc9188.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• I Donated
Man respect the elders! I can tell you this is far from being a POS

Yeah, you've been driving it for a few days. As I said, I drove mine for a year. It was even lower mileage, too -- 52k when I inherited it from my grandparents in January 2006.

They have vague steering that's overly susceptible to crosswinds, every turn is body-roll city, they're totally gutless (even with the manual that mine had -- which was also super rubbery and vague), and I doubt the brakes were good even when new but they certainly hadn't improved with 15 years of deterioration of the hydraulic system, and my guess is another 15 years hasn't helped your car any. The styling also looks hella ugly to me (although that's certainly a subjective judgement), the seats were uncomfortable for anything over a half-hour drive and the fabric was practically sandpaper, the motorized seatbelts were a terrible idea even before they were installed in any cars, even the L+ I had didn't have variable-intermittent wipers (that was reserved for LS and above), and the headlights were entirely worthless (yay 9004 bulbs and plastic lenses!).

About the only pluses were AWD and manual (neither of which your car has, of course), and the cargo space, which I concede was both capacious and very useful. Plus, it was a car, when I really needed a car, and it didn't break down.

I mean, I guess it wasn't as bad as the Loyale, but the first-gen Legacys (my brother had a 92 sedan, which was only marginally better, despite having even less mileage -- 40k -- and being garage kept for its first 14 years) are cooler in concept than in practice.

Edited by thefultonhow

Man if you got hate I'm your heart let it out brother!

Guess it's a matter of simplicity to be that keeps me grounded to liking this more so than most cars I've had recently. Still blows me away that if you'd sit in each generation for awhile you'll notice the heritage Subaru as brought through from gen1 to gen 7

Speaking of hate. I got a brand new Outback as a loaner today (finally got the Takata recall done in my LGT...).

Subaru truly excels in producing extraordinary turds. Whoever buys the Outback must hate life and driving. Incredibly floaty. Dead scary steering. My 200-series Land Cruisers are like race cars compared to this abomination in handling and road holding departments, and these are ******* 3-ton truck-based SUV monsters on AT tires. Even my 2012 lifted Taco inspires more confidence on highway.

Ok, they improved some things. It's not as bouncy as a 2005 Outback I remember driving eons ago. But the engine is the same ******* lawn mower engine, now the experience made even more realistic by the nauseating CVT.

I don't remember driving a car I hated more. Maybe a rental Versa few years back.

I guess I should post in the Outback subforum and make some new friends.

Edited by unclemat

LOL If I get an outback its either the 3.6r or XT. That thing with a 2.5 is 100% a turd haha *cries at 2.5 Legacy*

If it handles the same it will be even scarier with the extra power. No thanks.

Friend of mine has been a Subaru fan for years....went from a 2002 Forester to a 2007 Legacy wagon and recently to a 2016 Outback 3.6R. He added better tires and an STi 20mm rear sway bar...HUGE improvement....handles great for a family SUV wagon. :)

enthusiasts always have to remember generally cars aren't really made for them...a comfort suspension on chunky sidewall low rolling resistance tires and a high center of gravity does not a sports car make. if you want your big fat comfy family hauler to have any semblance of sport you're gonna have to make those upgrades. i knew going in to my wagon that it was gonna be big, fat, slow and roll-y...but it's comfy and eats miles, and that's what it was designed for...same with the outback. it's what i was looking for in a daily--comfort, and it's got that in spades.

enthusiasts always have to remember generally cars aren't really made for them...a comfort suspension on chunky sidewall low rolling resistance tires and a high center of gravity does not a sports car make. if you want your big fat comfy family hauler to have any semblance of sport you're gonna have to make those upgrades. i knew going in to my wagon that it was gonna be big, fat, slow and roll-y...but it's comfy and eats miles, and that's what it was designed for...same with the outback. it's what i was looking for in a daily--comfort, and it's got that in spades.

Kinda bull. I wasn't talking about Outback being a sports car. Family hauler or not, it does not need to handle like utter crap.

You can have family haulers that handle well. Explain to me how a 3 ton truck frame SUV (200-series Land Cruiser) feels more planted on the road than a car-based CUV (Subaru Outback)? Shitty, cheap engineering in the latter. With superior steering feel? Well, 200-series has hydraulic steering, and Outback obviously electric rack, but the latter does not need to suck so much. Again, cheap engineering/product management pushing garbage cars with questionable safety features (effing lane assist in that thing can kill you) to the stupid public. Because "Love". Nothing is more puke inducing than this Love marketing bullshit from Shitbaru.

And, believe me, Land Cruiser does not leave anything to Outback in the comfort department. In fact it's not even close.

Edited by unclemat

Kinda bull. I wasn't talking about Outback being a sports car. Family hauler or not, it does not need to handle like utter crap.

You can have family haulers that handle well. Explain to me how a 3 ton truck frame SUV (200-series Land Cruiser) feels more planted on the road than a car-based CUV (Subaru Outback)? Shitty, cheap engineering in the latter. With superior steering feel? Well, 200-series has hydraulic steering, and Outback obviously electric rack, but the latter does not need to suck so much. Again, cheap engineering/product management pushing garbage cars with questionable safety features (effing lane assist in that thing can kill you) to the stupid public. Because "Love". Nothing is more puke inducing than this Love marketing bullshit from Shitbaru.

And, believe me, Land Cruiser does not leave anything to Outback in the comfort department. In fact it's not even close.

i mean, you're asking how an 80K+ truck is better engineered than a $30k truck?

I wouldn't describe it as harshly, but there is certainly validity in the disconcerting direction Subaru is going. I think we'll see more and more people not exhibit brand loyalty. I love Subarus and can work on them pretty easily. But am finding myself leaning towards Toyota as they are focusing on the driving experience vs their brand and image selling vehicles. Someone joked before that Subaru will just become a sub-brand of toyota lol not too far off.

So if I'm able to wait till next fall and can find one not marked up over MSRP, the GR Corolla is a real possibility for me.

i mean, you're asking how an 80K+ truck is better engineered than a $30k truck?

That's not a fair example $$$ wise, but one that I have experience with. But I also have 2012 Tacoma which was $20-$30k truck then and it handles and drives better!

Heck I drove my share of rental turds... for CUVs things like Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango, GMC Arcadia. Even the GMC offered vastly superior driving experience than Outback. I am honestly surprised the Outback was as bad as it is. I just don't get why it is so popular given the terrible driving/handling experience. Partly explains why Subarus seem always driven by slow pokes. It's just too scary to move "fast" in them (80+ mph).

I wouldn't describe it as harshly, but there is certainly validity in the disconcerting direction Subaru is going. I think we'll see more and more people not exhibit brand loyalty. I love Subarus and can work on them pretty easily. But am finding myself leaning towards Toyota as they are focusing on the driving experience vs their brand and image selling vehicles. Someone joked before that Subaru will just become a sub-brand of toyota lol not too far off.

Ease of wrenching on Subaru is a plus. People complain about access to spark plugs which is silly. Everything else is easily accessible instead. Not so e.g. on V6/V8 Toyota engines.

Edited by unclemat