LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

3 hours ago, dgoodhue said:

I thought that I ordered a 2023. I looked at my pair work and apparently I ordered a 2024. (The pricing matches what is in 2024 WRX press release)

The 2024 prices were released in late December,  I do not know when Subaru  ordering opened up for 24 but they told me 2-3 months for delivery.  I would guess that March would be the earliest a 2024 would show up on the lot.

If you ended up ordering a '24, then that means you get all the Eyesight stuff with a manual. Love it or hate it, it's nice to have a second set of eyes watching the road.

14 hours ago, Falcor said:

If you ended up ordering a '24, then that means you get all the Eyesight stuff with a manual. Love it or hate it, it's nice to have a second set of eyes watching the road.

Yeah I am getting older (50). I like having the back up of all those safety features. The reason I ordered the limited was for the blind spot detection.  

I talked to my sales guy, the person who authorized the orders will be in this afternoon.  He said it looks like the TR can be ordered from his screen but he won’t know until that person comes in.  If it can be order, I will be getting the TR. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 1:57 PM, Falcor said:

I have to now decide if I want to trade in the GT or sell it outright. I would much rather sell it to someone who would appreciate it.

Looks like I'll be hanging onto the GT a bit longer. Good thing I still like and enjoy it 😁.

• Like 1

I'll also be hanging onto my truck for a while yet. Turns out the dealer I bought it from didn't disclose severe structural damage to the rear frame. There are no accidents reported, this was just brought up at Carmax when they were able to see Auction disclosures on Experian Auto Check. I half wonder if its just from rust, as I looked and didn't see any bends/pinches, repairs, or cracks any where, and I've towed upwards to 10k pounds with it a few times. 🤷‍♂️

Regardless, Carmax will milk that shit and only offered me 12k :D. Even listed they would need to replace the rear bumper, and there is zero wrong with the current one. Oh, and a transmission replacement because it downshifts a little hard lol bunch of crooks, the whole industry. Good thing I love my truck, but was really looking forward to a 3.6r outback build.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:20 AM, dgoodhue said:

Yeah I am getting older (50). I like having the back up of all those safety features. The reason I ordered the limited was for the blind spot detection.  

I talked to my sales guy, the person who authorized the orders will be in this afternoon.  He said it looks like the TR can be ordered from his screen but he won’t know until that person comes in.  If it can be order, I will be getting the TR. 

Will be interesting to see what you think about the WRX - when I sat in one, I liked it, but the back seat/trunk just wouldn't work well for what I have to be able to move around (medical stuff for my youngest).  Curious how different the FA24 behaves there vs. in the Legacy/Outback/Ascent - both use a dual scroll turbo, but the turbo is different , and the WRX is tuned for 91 and the others for regular - the engines being rated 271hp/258ft-lbs vs. 260hp/277 ft-lbs.  The turbocharger for the WRX lists for almost twice what the one in the other cars - wonder what the difference is?

I hear you on the getting older thing - I'm a few years beyond you and the safety features (with eyesight, RAB, blind spot detection, etc.) definitely factored into my decision.  I really miss the manual, and the GT was definitely quicker, but for day to day stuff, the Legacy sport is pretty great.  Once I get over 1k miles I'll get more spirited with it, and maybe I'll be fine with it, otherwise, I'm hoping the WRX drops the cladding when they do a refresh and maybe I'll switch...  we shall see!

• Like 1

Rode around quite a bit in my buddy's 2023 WRX Limited over the weekend. Loved everything except two things. It didn't have a sunglass holder (minor gripe), and the ride was harsher than I expected. I keep my Koni's at 1/2 or full turn on the fronts and 0 on the rear and love the ride. I'm wondering if the WRX GT would ride a bit softer like mine since they are adjustable as well. That would make DDing it way better.

• I Donated
1 hour ago, Falcor said:

Rode around quite a bit in my buddy's 2023 WRX Limited over the weekend. Loved everything except two things. It didn't have a sunglass holder (minor gripe), and the ride was harsher than I expected. I keep my Koni's at 1/2 or full turn on the fronts and 0 on the rear and love the ride. I'm wondering if the WRX GT would ride a bit softer like mine since they are adjustable as well. That would make DDing it way better.

I hated the ride in my 2015 WRX. Very bumpy even on smooth roads. One of the many reasons I got rid of it. 

19 hours ago, Falcor said:

I keep my Koni/Eibachs at 1 turn F / 0.5 turn R.  As I wrote this, I remember that my ‘12 2.5i rode better with this set up than my ‘12 GT.  The 1st  owner of my GT used whiteline poly bushings all through out my suspension. I removed the front lower control and put in stock one to help with the ride. I have group N front struts mounts. I went to in mid my rear with oem upper rear control arms but once I pulled the rear subframe assembly down I found that poly rear control arm bushing used non stock bolts (threaded into the bushings) and I found the rear spindle had a solid bushing pressed in where the lower bars bolts to. I never bothered to go back and fix it, so my 2012 GT does probably ride stiffer than your car.  

• 2 weeks later...

my legacy has 233k and guzzling oil at 600mi/qt so i will probably be looking at something from honda, toyota or mazda once it finally dies...hoping to stretch it to sept 2026 when my wife's car payment is done...probably something with more cargo space...ideally i would like a wagon but there aren't many newer wagons available from reliable manufacturers...

-honda crv ex-l (2011-2015, 2016-2021, 2022+)
-mazda cx-50 premium plus or turbo (2022+)
-mazda cx-5 2.5s preferred (2017+) (like preferred for 17" wheels)
-subaru outback limited (2020+) [for leather & seat memory] (on the list reluctantly)
-subaru forester touring (2018-2023, 2024+) [for leather & seat memory] (on the list reluctantly)
-toyota rav 4 xle premium + weather package (2015-2017, 2018+)

-acura tsx sportwagon (2011-2015)
-toyota venza (2009-2015) [xle for seat memory and leather]
-honda crosstour or honda accord crosstour (2010-2015) [ex-l for seat memory and leather]

*-honda accord (2018-2022, 2023+) (no leather or memory seat unless hybrid ex-l)
-honda civic hatch ex-l or sedan touring (2021+)
*-mazda 6 touring (2014-2021) (memory seat available on grand touring reserve and up)
*-toyota camry xle (2017-2023, 2024+)(no seat memory)

• 1 month later...

Quite the list Point XD gonna be a few days of test drives when the time comes.

I came across this low priced, high mileage '18 3.6 outback: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/4S4BSETC5J3323607

Unfortunately, it appears based on service records that oil changes were barely done over 166 miles lol not to mention from sources such as dealer, midas, and walmart. i'd wonder what that engine looks like 0.0

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Loya1ty said:

I came across this low priced, high mileage '18 3.6 outback: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/4S4BSETC5J3323607

Unfortunately, it appears based on service records that oil changes were barely done over 166 miles lol not to mention from sources such as dealer, midas, and walmart. i'd wonder what that engine looks like 0.0

my list fluctuates...probably won't test drive all of them...trying to find a good mix of reliability, gas mileage, low to the ground and storage is not easy...especially when you want more cargo floor area (not volume) and there aren't many wagons left to buy...i'm leaning more towards another subaru but i just don't want another oil guzzler which it seems is the case when they get into high mileage unless you run conventional oil

crossover suvs
*-honda crv ex-l (for leather and seat memory) (2011-2015, 2016-2022, 2023+)
-honda hrv ex-l awd (for leather NO seat memory) (2023+)
-mazda cx-50 premium plus (for leather and seat memory) (2022+)
*-mazda cx-5 2.5s preferred (for leather and seat memory) (2017+) (like preferred for 17" wheels)
*-subaru outback limited (for leather and seat memory) (2020+) (on the list reluctantly)
-subaru forester touring (for leather and seat memory) (2018-2023, 2024+) (on the list reluctantly)
*-toyota rav 4 xle premium + weather package (for leather and seat memory) (2015-2017, 2018+)

older wagonish choices
*-acura tsx sportwagon (for leather and seat memory) (2011-2015)
-toyota venza xle (for leather and seat memory) (2009-2015)
-honda crosstour or honda accord crosstour ex-l (for leather and seat memory) (2010-2015)

sedans
-acura integra A spec with tech package (for leather and seat memory) (2023+)
-honda accord (2018-2022, 2023+) (NO leather NO memory seat unless hybrid ex-l)
-honda civic hatch ex-l or sedan touring (for leather NO seat memory) (2021+)
-mazda 3 preferred (for leather and seat memory) (2019+)
-mazda 6 grand touring (for leather and seat memory) (2014-2021)
-toyota avalon 6cyl limited (for leather and seat memory) (2018+)
-toyota camry xle (for leather NO seat memory) (2017-2023, 2024+)

I think that the CX-5 might be your best bet. Matches everything your asking for and while it's not equipped with the biggest volume in the cargo area for the class, it certainly is plenty if you utilize it correctly. We have three of them in the family and they can take a lot of wear and tear. My girlfriend literally stuffed an entire room worth of stuff and drove from MA to Florida and still got great gas mileage. I have a CX-5 Turbo and that thing is a blast to drive, and I still get like 21 MPG while driving around town in the winter. It drives so much better and is more unique than a bland Toyota or Honda which are more like utilities and being made cheaper now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alexmed2002 said:

I think that the CX-5 might be your best bet. Matches everything your asking for and while it's not equipped with the biggest volume in the cargo area for the class, it certainly is plenty if you utilize it correctly. We have three of them in the family and they can take a lot of wear and tear. My girlfriend literally stuffed an entire room worth of stuff and drove from MA to Florida and still got great gas mileage. I have a CX-5 Turbo and that thing is a blast to drive, and I still get like 21 MPG while driving around town in the winter. It drives so much better and is more unique than a bland Toyota or Honda which are more like utilities and being made cheaper now.

thanks...i am leaning that way at the moment...it seems like i can get most of what i want out of it and i can get leather and seat memory at a lower price point than other choices...it will have more cargo room than the legacy...only 1.8 cu ft of volume less than the outback...no cvt and carplay would be nice as well...i also like that the rear seat is a trifold vs 60/40...they are less expensive than a rav4 or crv...cx-50 have to get into a higher trim for the same options i want, i hear the seats are not that comfortable and there isn't much more cargo room than the cx-5 (+0.6 cu ft)...also there's a mazda dealer 1 mile from home and i had great luck with my 05 mazda 6 into high mileage...hoping the legacy will top the 6's mileage when i unload it

i would love a tsx wagon but i'd be going back in tech as well as have to find one down south that hasn't seen salt...as far as sedans go the only 1 that would be decent would be the integra...the integra is basically the same as the civic but it does have the option for memory seats...i was surprised by the amount of cargo room the civic hatch/integra has

Edited by Point37

16 minutes ago, Point37 said:

thanks...i am leaning that way at the moment...it seems like i can get most of what i want out of it and i can get leather and seat memory at a lower price point than other choices...it will have more cargo room than the legacy...only 1.8 cu ft of volume less than the outback...no cvt and carplay would be nice as well...i also like that the rear seat is a trifold vs 60/40...they are less expensive than a rav4 or crv...cx-50 have to get into a higher trim for the same options i want, i hear the seats are not that comfortable and there isn't much more cargo room than the cx-5 (+0.6 cu ft)...also there's a mazda dealer 1 mile from home and i had great luck with my 05 mazda 6 into high mileage...hoping the legacy will top the 6's mileage when i unload it

i would love a tsx wagon but i'd be going back in tech as well as have to find one down south that hasn't seen salt...as far as sedans go the only 1 that would be decent would be the integra...the integra is basically the same as the civic but it does have the option for memory seats...i was surprised by the amount of cargo room the civic hatch/integra has

Don't forget that the CX-5 is made in Japan so the quality is superb versus the CX-50 that is american made and considered to be a lot cheaper with its interior. It's actually smaller in terms of head room compared to the CX-5. I'm 5'11 and when I sat in the CX-50 my head was pretty much touching the top when I was sitting comfortably in one. The only "complaint" I have with the CX-5 is that the OEM tires you get only last like 35k-40k miles and the brakes don't last as long since the car uses them very slightly on turns to maintain a smooth feel to the steering wheel. Other than that it's been great since the Mazda dealer near me does a special where they do a full synthetic oil change + tire rotation for around $90. 

• Like 1

Big fan of the Mazda styling and driver oriented driving and comfort (passengers aren't quite as high but decent). The big reason we ended up with the Highlander over the CX-9 is due to the lame sales team at the Mazda dealer, and knowing the highlander would retain its value better since we knew it is our bridge SUV while the baby/toddler stage wreaks havoc lol - then it's probably an update to a Volvo XC-90 hybrid (but may consider the new CX-90/Grand Highlander/Telluride). Hard to beat Volvo comfort though but pricing is important.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Alexmed2002 said:

Don't forget that the CX-5 is made in Japan so the quality is superb versus the CX-50 that is american made and considered to be a lot cheaper with its interior. It's actually smaller in terms of head room compared to the CX-5. I'm 5'11 and when I sat in the CX-50 my head was pretty much touching the top when I was sitting comfortably in one. The only "complaint" I have with the CX-5 is that the OEM tires you get only last like 35k-40k miles and the brakes don't last as long since the car uses them very slightly on turns to maintain a smooth feel to the steering wheel. Other than that it's been great since the Mazda dealer near me does a special where they do a full synthetic oil change + tire rotation for around $90. 

good to know about the usa/japan models...also good point about the head room...i think i had read that as well but haven't sat in one yet...i am the same height so i'm probably going to remove it from my list...i didn't know that the brakes are used on turns either...seems like a waste...the legacy brake pads have lasted a long time i have found...i'll probably pick up a fumoto valve and do my own oil changes...i was looking at the accessories for the cx-5...any recommendations for OEM vs aftermarket accessories?...i would get mud flaps, all weather floor mats, cargo tray, trailer hitch and the cargo cover...i'm thinking smartliners for the mats and cargo tray...trailer hitch OEM...cargo cover aftermarket...mud flaps i'm not sure if i would go OEM or aftermarket

31 minutes ago, Loya1ty said:

Big fan of the Mazda styling and driver oriented driving and comfort (passengers aren't quite as high but decent). The big reason we ended up with the Highlander over the CX-9 is due to the lame sales team at the Mazda dealer, and knowing the highlander would retain its value better since we knew it is our bridge SUV while the baby/toddler stage wreaks havoc lol - then it's probably an update to a Volvo XC-90 hybrid (but may consider the new CX-90/Grand Highlander/Telluride). Hard to beat Volvo comfort though but pricing is important.

that's good news...i spend a lot of time in the car so the more comfortable it is the better...

my wife has a '22 telluride sx...we have a now 6 year old, one 65lb dog and one 75 lb dog...the telluride is pretty nice although i don't drive it a ton...but i do as much of the maintenance as i can...i really dislike the kia dealers though...they will do everything they can to get out of warranty work...the car has 41k miles and it started leaking from the stupid plastic oil filter housing...i bring it in and they can't locate the leak and did nothing but they want to charge me $130 "modification fee" for having a fumoto valve...i didn't end up paying it and just replaced the housing myself...i also think it's starting to consume oil a little but it's within their consumption tolerances...i just did an engine flush and cleaned the intake valves with the last oil change when i replaced the housing so hopefully that helps...i'm going to replace the pcv valve and install a j&l oil separator this weekend hopefully...other than that the windshield glass is thin/weak...first windshield didn't make it through it's first new england winter...everything else has been fine...very good tech but it has too much for my liking but i guess all the new cars do at this point...i would love a volvo wagon but i think it would kill me over time with repairs for how much i drive

do anyone run an oil separator/catch can on their legacy?...i'm debating on installing one on my mom's outback

Edited by Point37

3 hours ago, Point37 said:

good to know about the usa/japan models...also good point about the head room...i think i had read that as well but haven't sat in one yet...i am the same height so i'm probably going to remove it from my list...i didn't know that the brakes are used on turns either...seems like a waste...the legacy brake pads have lasted a long time i have found...i'll probably pick up a fumoto valve and do my own oil changes...i was looking at the accessories for the cx-5...any recommendations for OEM vs aftermarket accessories?...i would get mud flaps, all weather floor mats, cargo tray, trailer hitch and the cargo cover...i'm thinking smartliners for the mats and cargo tray...trailer hitch OEM...cargo cover aftermarket...mud flaps i'm not sure if i would go OEM or aftermarket

If you drive the CX-5 you'll feel a difference in the steering that comes from the brakes being slightly used on some of the turns, but I do wish the brakes lasted longer as my girlfriend's car needed all four pads + rotors and the brake fluid done at 38.5k miles. I got my car certified with 24k miles and they already had to put new pads on the front and now at 36k miles I'm gonna need to do my rear pads + rotors and brake fluid. I suspect that since I have the Turbo model it contributes to quicker wear. I've gotten all of my OEM accessories from BAM Auto Parts for a lot less than directly from Mazda's website.

Edited by Alexmed2002
  • Like 1

thanks...i'll check that website out when the time comes...do you know what that corner braking feature is called?...i'd like to read up on it a little

On 4/1/2024 at 11:48 AM, Loya1ty said:

The service history does not always show oil changes (or someone did their own oil changes). They probably didn't go 50k miles between oil change (48k to 98k) My car never see dealership except for warranty repair.  Sometimes you have to judge it by condition.  I looked at 2018-2019 3.6R Outback and Legacy before giving up.  The low mileage one were in the mid 20's which was more than I wanted to spend for a used car.  I am planning on replacing my 2009 Outback with a 100k ish OB 3.6R or Forester XT.

This 3.6R looks pretty clean but I don 't know if I would want a 166k mile one.  Even though the price is cheap I can see this being a difficult to sell vehicle  in 3-4 years when it's over 200k, so I would probably pass.  

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 4:25 PM, Alexmed2002 said:

thanks...i'll take a spin through it during lunch

On 4/2/2024 at 9:24 PM, dgoodhue said:

Subaru as well as other manufacturers do this.  This is part of the VDC.

if the brakes are being applied in my subaru then they make some very good pads cause i think i've only had the brakes done 2 or 3 times over 235k miles

7 hours ago, Point37 said:

if the brakes are being applied in my subaru then they make some very good pads cause i think i've only had the brakes done 2 or 3 times over 235k miles

When I had my legacy I got like 60k-80k miles out of them, until I had a caliper go bad on me. They lasted a while surprisingly.

• Like 1