LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

Feel ya.

Sitting here looking at the school's prodemand (mitchell's for the old school folks), trying to build a parts order list. Forgot my lgt password, so hand-copying part numbers to my cellphone's email. Prodemand does list torque values and assembly orders different than I've seen in the forums. Kind of makes wonder about other suggestions.

Now I'm curious cause mitchells/prodemand is used by a lot of shops, its like oem info updated by real world info. Would you be able to list what's different? From my understanding there is only one process that's correct and that's the fsm way, but the fsm probably changes over the years between the different setups. Is it generalizing the lgt or giving specific info to years like b25 heads vs d25 heads, the slightly different sb's between years as well.

For general assembly I have been following this guys methods.

Shortblock Assembly

Head Installation SOHC

Edited by Tehnation

Now I'm curious cause mitchells/prodemand is used by a lot of shops, its like oem info updated by real world info. Would you be able to list what's different? From my understanding there is only one process that's correct and that's the fsm way, but the fsm probably changes over the years between the different setups. Is it generalizing the lgt or giving specific info to years like b25 heads vs d25 heads, the slightly different sb's between years as well.

For general assembly I have been following this guys methods.

Shortblock Assembly

Head Installation

it generalizes some things as it assumes you have knowledge. remove & install instructions come from the fsm. speciality tools are listed. it can generate work orders. but haven't been able to generate an order list yet. Apparently school didn't pay for that feature, as the list is incomplete.

year,make,model,sub model,body type, transmission are all choices you have to make before getting results. So far it's included year differences where appropriate.

Edited by boxkita

What exactly are you working with? Bare blocks and heads? If you want a parts list message flatirons on chat, and they will have a solution and list of parts you need. Why do it yourself when someone else can do it for you lol, might as well get some service with your order imo. Edited by Tehnation

Any place you are ordering your parts from should be able to do all this for you, you will get a list of part numbers, and if you feel inclined to purchase you do so, if you want to haggle pricing you can do that as well. But I wouldn't rack my brain when most of the parts stores will actually part out a list for you, which you can just cross reference with google etc.

What exactly are you working with? Bare blocks and heads? If you want a parts list message flatirons on chat, and they will have a solution and list of parts you need. Why do it yourself when someone else can do it for you lol, might as well get some service with your order imo.

I pulled two engines apart to a big pile of parts. labeled the big stuff. threw the little stuff in bags by general location. But most of the little things are toast.

Really? didn't know parts houses would do that. Places I've been dealing with (local) suck at everything so always did my own lists.

If its a reputable online seller, they will! They want your money. I know for a fact flatirons will. Message them on chat right now via the website, wait is usually like a minute or so. Say you have bare block and heads, and you need everything, it might take a little time like an hour or so, but they will do their best. When I order parts via a chat or something, even if I know the part number I act like an idiot... and if they come back with the same part number , i tend to trust their judgment more a little every time.

If its a reputable online seller, they will! They want your money. I know for a fact flatirons will. Message them on chat right now via the website, wait is usually like a minute or so. Say you have bare block and heads, and you need everything, it might take a little time like an hour or so, but they will do their best. When I order parts via a chat or something, even if I know the part number I act like an idiot... and if they come back with the same part number , i tend to trust their judgment more a little every time.

100% this! FlatIrons is fantabulous <---Word of the day.

They are very knowledgeable, honest and helpful.

they are, if they don't have the part listed , give them the part number and they will put it on the site within an hr.

Like the cylinder head plugs , the allen key screws, 15027AA132. When I asked about it first time they said that you can't order it, but rhino pointed out the part # asap, I just told them it is a purchasable part, so it should be on the site within the hour available for order. They did this for a bunch of random parts I needed, if they don't know about it or unfamiliar just give them the part number and they will absolutely get it.

I'm thinking I'm going to build 2 long blocks, have them on rotation. If I get 36-60k miles out of a block, I consider that a win!

One is going to have my nice expensive pistons and rods, the 2nd I'm going to find the cheapest forged set I can find.

So if anyone sees some cheap b25 heads let me know.

$$$. new blank heads are $600 each. I was trying to buy long blocks.

there's a couple heads in the classifieds now

600 for blanks wow! I could get normal rebuilt ones for the same price from most places. I'm not in a rush, so I can wait for a nice deal. I don't see any heads for sale in classifieds?!

Edited by Tehnation

600 for blanks wow! I could get normal rebuilt ones for the same price from most places. I'm not in a rush, so I can wait for a nice deal. I don't see any heads for sale in classifieds?!

you were probably looking in the "single" parts section. Its much cheaper in the "many" parts section - https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rhode-island-2005-subaru-legacy-gt-wagon-284103.html

So my case halves are soaking in some simple green and water, going to let it sit for probably a week.

20201005_141441.thumb.jpg.901c4053478ef1cf18ec782197125acf.jpg

My pistons and rings are in great shape, I'm going to breakdown the pistons and rings, and soak them in some Chem dip for a couple days. I can fit 2 piston sets at a time.

20201005_141254.thumb.jpg.a63632ad2b24133a7f29ea6c9e832f4a.jpg

piston order from bottom left going counterclockwise 1, 2, 3, 4.

20201005_135848.thumb.jpg.be9dcf04475def34b44d0874d18f9fba.jpg

Edited by Tehnation

I was thinking of getting another h4 to work on when this block is finished but I thought to myself why not try something new. So I am going to look into getting an h6 and setting it up for a twin turbo application. If I am going to do custom piping, fmic or pretty much go crazy, might as well make it worthwhile. Hopefully some kind of twin turbo kit exists for the h6, which would simplify things a lot.

Other than the engine/turbo kit what else would I need? I am wondering if the wiring would be drastic, does the h6 engine harness connect to the existing harness connection to the ecu, I know I would need a new ecu and I'm wondering if the stock h6 ecu can handle a turbo setup. I may have to look into aftermarket engine management, I would prefer to try and keep things on oem ecu but who knows.

It may be just a pipe dream, but I will see based on the feasibility.

Edited by Tehnation

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Only thing I'm not sure about is the wear on the piston skirts. Seems like a lot for about 90 miles.

[ATTACH]287387[/ATTACH]

I will agree that looks like a lot of wear. If the cylinders got hot, that would help cause wear.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here