LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

Also ordered

https://www.flatironstuning.com/innovate-mtx-d-dual-gauge-oil-pressure-temperature?qty=1

So I can monitor oil pressure, shoulda had this installed in the first place to see what the hell was going on! This is a must if your raising rpm. And by not having it I can't accurately pinpoint the initial issue.

Edited by Tehnation

Connecting rod oil clearance:

Standard

0.017 — 0.045 mm (0.0007 — 0.0018 in)

Crankshaft oil clearance:

Standard

0.010 — 0.030 mm (0.0004 — 0.0012 in)

found this post in the engine rebuild section about this issue. Maybe it helps. https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/main-bearing-clearance-questions-282240.html

I am going to contact Manley and King to see what they have to say about tolerances. I may be running my tolerances to tight for my rod bearings, seems like king says they should be a lot looser. Will look into it more.

Is there a guide or video for cleaning the oil pump and cam gears? I thought there was but I can't seem to find anything.

Edited by Tehnation

Trying to decide on which oil pump, i think i will stick with the 11mm, but for single avcs it should be 10mm. I'm not sure if my stage 3 cams and increased redline warrant the 11mm because it may cause aeration if i'm not really pushing it that high and driving at normal rpms. So running the 11mm and tight tolerances could have caused an issue when I randomly romp on it and it's not giving me fresh oil. A lot to research...

I have a 11mm. I romped on it alot. Aeration wasn't really an issue, but oil consumption was. To this day, idk where it went. Following cars said no blue smoke or oil smells.

Careful of assigning blame to something based on marketing data. Unless you are at wot most of the time, you're not going to have "race" level problems.

Chasing the bearing tolerance seems like the better approach since that's where yer damage is. You might pm m sprank with pics and get a second opinion. He's seen more failures than anyone else (maybe not anyone but more than most)

Just ordered a bunch of stuff: crank, rods, bearings, seals, oil cooler, oil pressure/temp gauge kit, various nuts and bolts, piston ring compressor tool, 4" flex hone bit, red line assembly lube, sealant, scotch pads, plastigauge and arp assembly lube.

1st thing I gotta do is clean everything, going to soak the case halves and scrub the outer parts down, and push air through everything. Then I'm going to break down the piston rings and clean the pistons. Gotta see if I need new rings or not, will probably just get a new set, if so will need a piston ring filer.

How were your heads and cam journals?

Regardless, you should remove the oil galleys and clean. You wouldn't want any of that residual oil to contaminate your new stuff.

The plugs are a pain to remove without stripping and needing to drill out. General consensus says the best way is to heat with a torch and then remove. This method does work.

They are also slightly expensive and it adds up since there are a lot of them.

heads and cam journals are surprisingly in tip top shape! No wear or gouges. A good cleaning and some brake cleaner and they will be fine.
Brake cleaner will not clean the oil galley passages in the head as they dead end in several spots. It's not me building it but I would remove, clean and replace the small galley plugs in the heads.

Plastiguage or not, I would measure the bearing thickness. You might be able to swap them around to the best tolerances. Measure inside the house so the temps will be close enough.

We used a brake power bleeder connected to the oil pressure sensor port. Rotate the engine slowly with ~20 psi of pressure in the bottle and it will feed oil throughout the motor.

Which power bleeder did you purchase? I see some for 55 bucks. I believe I saw somewhere that someone used a 10 dollar garden pump sprayer or something of that nature from home depot. I will have to look into it more.

https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Pressure-Clutch-Bleeder/dp/B00CJ5DZE2

Edited by Tehnation

Which power bleeder did you purchase? I see some for 55 bucks. I believe I saw somewhere that someone used a 10 dollar garden pump sprayer or something of that nature from home depot. I will have to look into it more.

https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Pressure-Clutch-Bleeder/dp/B00CJ5DZE2

That is the exact one I used, but only because I already had it for bleeding brakes. You could use anything that pressurizes with a fitting on the end for the fluid to flow through.