LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

had to, i was right near my house, and no phone or wallet... just wanted to get it back in my driveway, so I let it sit for 5 minutes, got it started and cruised home. I initially thought it was an overheating issue, so I let it cool down for a couple hours, tried to start it and that was that. Everything is retrospect, so its not as bad as you think it is lol.

Looking for a boroscope on amazon atm. I really need the sb to be fine, heads being ok would be a bonus. I'm hoping the squealing I heard is from a bearing on timing belt and not a camshaft or my turbo.

had to, i was right near my house, and no phone or wallet... just wanted to get it back in my driveway, so I let it sit for 5 minutes, got it started and cruised home. I initially thought it was an overheating issue, so I let it cool down for a couple hours, tried to start it and that was that. Everything is retrospect, so its not as bad as you think it is lol.

Looking for a boroscope on amazon atm. I really need the sb to be fine, heads being ok would be a bonus. I'm hoping the squealing I heard is from a bearing on timing belt and not a camshaft or my turbo.

I had an sti that jumped a few teeth once. After the timing was reset it fired right up so you might be ok!

It is the timing belt , all the marks are gone, and I have this black streak running throughout the entire thing. The tensioner bolt nut came loose and the bolt was just freely moving..... wtf happened.....

Ok, So I need a new timing belt and tensioner... who makes a high quality product?? I hear gates is crap now.

I just hope my valves didn't get the kiss of death....

20200831_121356.thumb.jpg.3b41cfa7509485f9bbb5377cba432b78.jpg

20200831_121324.thumb.jpg.83c3a63f35c25da8ee3fcb9310bec1ea.jpg

20200831_121311.thumb.jpg.1b016033ad638de3cfd8623c4e47a891.jpg

Changing the timing belt in the engine is going to suck, I got spoiled doing it on a stand... ordered some cam adjust tools as well with the new belt

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLFKVDS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1DA8RL16JPDA0&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4JNFT5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2GLJ7X54D1BMY&psc=1

I'm not going through that nonsense again in that tight space.

there are zero marks! Everything was rubbed off.

oh the cam marks, the double notches , not sure they are on opposite sides. I would have to move it all somehow, but they should be close.

Edited by Tehnation

Aisin TSK004 I think is the correct part # for the timing belt most of use now day's.

Or if you just need a belt, go to Advance Auto Parts and get a Dayco belt. I used that the first time back in 2008.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replacing-timing-belt-94193.html?t=94193 post #20

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Aisin TSK004 I think is the correct part # for the timing belt most of use now day's.

Or if you just need a belt, go to Advance Auto Parts and get a Dayco belt. I used that the first time back in 2008.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replacing-timing-belt-94193.html?t=94193 post #9

That's the right part number. I just checked my timing belt kit label.

not out of the woods yet... some weird sound is coming from the motor, doesn't seem like a valve. I think the tensioner is shot completely and isn't giving any tension, and is hopefully bouncing up and down. So, ordered a new tensioner, an aisin tensioner. Started fine then after that seems like it went out of timing right after 1st start. If its not the tensioner, then I'm screwed and have to pull the motor.

Looks like just one head or cylinder rather.

It was caused by the tensioner failing at high rpm like rhino said!

Don't forget I have stage 3 cams, so the lift and duration are longer, so those valves are going out further longer..... not a good recipe for bad timing.

Edited by Tehnation

Shouldn't cost much to test the valves to see which are still sealing and replace whatever valves are bent, probably like 200-400 for both heads. Biggest cost is the damn time it takes pulling this crap apart, getting a buddy over to help and putting it all back together..... so damn time consuming. It would be so convenient to be able to pull the heads without pulling the entire motor. So much work for a silly little 4 cylinder, plus it has 2 cylinder heads, 4 cams.... sheeshhhh god damn ej blocks are a pita, its like some freak v4 engine but without all the awesome power of a v8... half a v8 twice the work.. wtf Edited by Tehnation