LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

What kind of leak, fuel or air?

I have Deatschwerks 17U-07-1000-4 injectors.

https://www.deatschwerks.com/17u-07-1000-4

They came with a card, no idea where it is. I think it only had the flow rate though.

Air. You'd know if you have a fuel leak.
My fuel pressure seems high, gauge was reading around 60 psi when idling, and when it was about to die it dropped down to around 40
What does your FPR install look like? When you did your top feed conversion, did you use the fuel rail mounted FPR or a different setup?

I have an 07+ fuel rail mixed with 05 fuel rail, didn't use the fuel rail mounted fpr. I have an sti fpr on the return line and gauge on the other line.

The setup worked prior to rebuild.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5982271&postcount=370

Edited by Tehnation

That's for stock setup, might not be the case anymore. Guys on nasioc have been modding their fprs by banging the top to raise the fuel pressure. Why do people use aftermarket fprs if not for more fuel pressure?

That's for stock setup, might not be the case anymore. Guys on nasioc have been modding their fprs by banging the top to raise the fuel pressure. Why do people use aftermarket fprs if not for more fuel pressure?
More fuel pressure at idle isn't better though. People used to mod the fpr because they were running high boost and needed more pressure to stay 1:1 for boost and fuel.

When you did your fuel pump wiring, did you keep the FPCM wired in so you still have 33, 66 and 100 for the duty cycle?

I'm sending a PM too.

I really don't think I have a leak. Ive been chasing leaks in this car since I bought it, I have memorised the entire vacuum system. I bought the smoker because if its a leak its gotta be really small. Exhaust system is tight and right as well. I've pulled this car apart dozens of times. So I have considered all the usual things. It has to be something stupid....

IT LIVES!!! Just took it on the road!! Drives good except for the clutch sorta sticking to the floor for some reason. This EFI tuner is pretty damn good, he had my fuel trims etc. dialed on the 1st map he sent. 2nd map fixed the issue with finding idle.

I love these stage 3 cams..... I can drive around in second gear and get up to 60mph with room to spare and I'm only running 7psi of boost atm. This is exactly what I wanted, band was moved to the right. Can't wait to get it on the dyno... gotta get these cylinder rings seated asap... only done like 35 miles so far, another 965 to go!

I totally forgot about 93 pricing swings.... I need to start paying attention to gas prices again. I paid like 3.30 a gal to fill up at the close gas station, the expensive one. Drove down the block and it was like 2.97. Normally for 87 there isn't much of a difference but the 93 varies a lot from place to place. The variation and the extra add up, 3.30 is like 75 cents more than 87. Edited by Tehnation

Yeah, gas prices vary from place to place or town to town.

I find that MA. has cheaper prices then CT. Though BJ's Wholesale Club has 93 for $2.44 the other day.

Glad to hear the car is doing well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

ANDDDD THERE GOES A VALVE!!

OMFG!!! motors gotta come back out.... a 3rd time....3rd times a charm right! smh......

I knew I shouldn't have cheaped out on the valvetrain.... I just knew it would come back to bite me in the ass..... what made me think valves with 120k miles on it would be good enough..... oh well.... back to the drawing board, hopefully my sb is still good. But it looks like a valve is loose and floating.

This time

new guides

new and better valves

new and better valve locks

Any recommendations? I will probably just get the entire BC package otherwise.

BC2960- 6° Billet Keepers / Locks for Subaru EJ205/EJ257 applications

BC3600- 36.0mm Intake Valves (standard head diameter)

BC3601-INC- 32.0mm INCONEL Exhaust Valves (standard head diameter)

BC3960- 6.0mm INTAKE Valve Guides (Subaru EJ205, EJ257, EJ257B)

BC3961- 6.0mm EXHAUST Valve Guides (Subaru EJ205, EJ257, EJ257B)

god help me....

Edited by Tehnation

OMFG!!! motors gotta come back out.... a 3rd time....3rd times a charm right! smh......

I knew I shouldn't have cheaped out on the valvetrain.... I just knew it would come back to bite me in the ass..... what made me think valves with 120k miles on it would be good enough..... oh well.... back to the drawing board, hopefully my sb is still good. But it looks like a valve is loose and floating.

This time

new guides

new and better valves

god help me....

Oh dear god no. That absolutely sucks!!

This time

new guides

new and better valves

god help me....

Sorry to hear that, take a step back and think for a minute.

The valves should have been fine. My wagon still has all the valves that came in the engine.

I would guess the valve lash was off ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No idea what happened. Was beating it on the highway and then it lost power, now its hard to start and barely runs, and has a weird squeak and some random tapping noises. Who knows whats wrong with it. First I'll inspect the timing belt, then the turbo, then pull the block.

After taking a break from it and thinking it over.... i think something happened with the timing belt, like the tensioner took a sh**. Lets pray it is something simple. If it were a valve it would start but sound like crap and change with the rpms. My motor can barely start, takes a ton of cranking, like when you have a tooth off. Dear god give me a win!!! If its the timing belt I can be up and running a lot sooner. I had a gates racing timing belt kit with the blue kevlar belt that I bought way back in the day, bought it like 5+ years ago. Edited by Tehnation

After taking a break from it and thinking it over.... i think something happened with the timing belt, like the tensioner took a sh**. Lets pray it is something simple. If it were a valve it would start but sound like crap and change with the rpms. My motor can barely start, takes a ton of cranking, like when you have a tooth off. Dear god give me a win!!! If its the timing belt I can be up and running a lot sooner. I had a gates racing timing belt kit with the blue kevlar belt that I bought way back in the day, bought it like 5+ years ago.

Good luck! But please stop cranking it OMG!