LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

ahhh... I need an intake.... what a gross oversight....

"I fell into a burnin' ring of fire

I went down, down, down

And the flames went higher

And it burns, burns, burns

The ring of fire, the ring of fire"

-Johnny Cash

$$$$$$$$$$ BURN BURN BURN !!!

Do I need to go big maf? Any threads on this , I don't see any recent posts about it.

Anyone have any insight on what to get?

Im going to want one that would work for my current 20g and the gen2 gtx3576r I plan to get.... I hope I don't have to do this twice..

I was thinking this

https://www.grimmspeed.com/cold-air-intake-subaru-legacy-gt-05-09-outback-xt-05-09/

But now I need to look into when you need a big maf... or if this big maf thing is some old wives tale...

An aftermarket solution for mafs rather than going oem

Denso 197-6040

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-197-6040-Mass-Flow-Sensor/dp/B007WMG8A0

Has this been added to JmP's sticky up top in the 4th Gen forum ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
Are you going to use a break-in tune or just run it lightly on the stock tune? I'm doing a very similar build to yours and I was curious what the procedure is gonna be after the engine is together. Do you first get your 2k miles or so break-in done on the stock tune (no boost of course, driving Miss Daisy) and then have it dyno tuned? Would it be safer to get a base tune from Mr. Cryotune or something?

I have a base tune for break in, going to break in for 1k miles then bring to dyno, tuning alliance is like 2 hrs from me so they sent a base tune to get me to the dyno, so I probably won't wait until 1k, breaking in a motor doesn't really need miles, the main purpose is to seal the piston rings and flush out all the metal from new parts grinding, i will most likely just do the break in processes for pistons and cams and then go to the dyno, so the 1k i first stated is complete bullshit, i'll have it on the dyno in well under 500 miles.... speaking of which... i need to get back on this project! Edited by Tehnation

Interesting to me you say this is an old wives tale but ever engine ive ever installed came with a break in procedure of 500-1000 miles. The shop here in Denver wont even dyno run your new motor until you have at least 500 miles on it. You would think the guys building the motors for a living would realize none of this was necessary. Even new cars have a break in time of at least 500 miles, for all the same reasons. Glad youve figured out there big scheme against us!

I'm just doing what the manufacturers of my parts told me.

For the cams from BrianCrower:

"CAMSHAFT BREAK-IN

Brian Crower, Inc does not recommend using synthetic oil during camshaft break-in. If you must run synthetics during operation, even though we recommend that you do not, make sure the synthetic contains a high zinc content (ZDDP count of 1400 or more). Follow OEM cam cap torque sequence and specifications. Use a liberal amount of aftermarket engine assembly lube, again with the recommended amount of zinc content, during installation and assembly. Check cam follower or bucket surfaces for any abnormal wear and/or scuffing. On initial start-up and break-in run engine at 1500-2500 rpm for 20 minutes."

For my pistons and rods from Manley:

"Ring Seating

When first starting your engine to ensure proper ring seating, do not allow the engine to idle for long periods at a time. It is a good idea

to mildly load the engine as soon as you can. Highway driving is a good way to properly seat the rings quickly. Do not idle the engine as

idling does not break in any engine. Manley DOES NOT recommend the use of synthetic oils during break-in. After 2000-3000 miles on

the street, or one night racing on the track, the rings should be adequately seated so that any oil you prefer can then be used."

so to me all that means, when i first start the car run it from 1500-2500 for 20 minutes, then i change my oil, then go drive on the street and beat the shit out of it for 50-100 miles, then change my oil, then beat the shit out of it some more, change the oil.... then it should be ready! lol

I lost my hood stand thing, the rod that keeps hood open. oem part costs like 100 bucks. At that point I might as well get the ones with the pistons. Anyone know what the hell i'm talking about and who sells them?

I lost my hood stand thing, the rod that keeps hood open. oem part costs like 100 bucks. At that point I might as well get the ones with the pistons. Anyone know what the hell i'm talking about and who sells them?

You are looking for "hood struts" and there are several companies that make them like Grimmspeed (not sure for the Legacy) and Redline Tuning (what I have). There are a few threads on here about them.

Also, I have a spare hood rod if you want it; I'll send it to you for $10 plus shipping if interested. I have the Redline struts and I'm spoiled, I really like popping the hood and just lifting a few inches and having the struts take over, raise the hood and hold it. Some day when they decide to wear out and not hold the hood up I'll be mad about having to buy another set... but maybe not.

Do you have the bushing that goes with the rod? How much to ship? My other car has hood struts stock, and I love it! No knocking it out while your working on the car and boom, hood is sitting on your head..... I hate it.. I think I nerd raged and ripped it out and tossed it somewhere....

found this, sent email to grimmspeed to ask if they have one.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/hood-struts-subaru-03-08-forester/

Edited by Tehnation

Question for those reading!

Which way does the crank pulley spin? If your standing in front of the car and facing it! Is it counterclockwise or clockwise?

I need to flush the steering lines and need to know which way to spin the steering pump.

You are looking for "hood struts" and there are several companies that make them like Grimmspeed (not sure for the Legacy) and Redline Tuning (what I have). There are a few threads on here about them.

Also, I have a spare hood rod if you want it; I'll send it to you for $10 plus shipping if interested. I have the Redline struts and I'm spoiled, I really like popping the hood and just lifting a few inches and having the struts take over, raise the hood and hold it. Some day when they decide to wear out and not hold the hood up I'll be mad about having to buy another set... but maybe not.

How was the install? I hate rivets, but it looks like the only one that works for our car. Did you use their tool or some other rivet tool?

Do you have the bushing that goes with the rod? How much to ship? My other car has hood struts stock, and I love it! No knocking it out while your working on the car and boom, hood is sitting on your head..... I hate it.. I think I nerd raged and ripped it out and tossed it somewhere....

found this, sent email to grimmspeed to ask if they have one.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/hood-struts-subaru-03-08-forester/

I have the rubber bushing as well.

I'm guessing that shipping will probably be ~$20 because of the length, even though it doesn't weigh anything.

How was the install? I hate rivets, but it looks like the only one that works for our car. Did you use their tool or some other rivet tool?

Install was pretty easy, I wasn't crazy about rivets, but it's been fine.

I used my own rivets/tool that I had so that I knew what the quality was.

I have the rubber bushing as well.

I'm guessing that shipping will probably be ~$20 because of the length, even though it doesn't weigh anything.

sent!

do you have the hvac vents for the dashboard? What other stuff did you have?

sent!

do you have the hvac vents for the dashboard? What other stuff did you have?

Don't have a lot left.

I have the two outside dash vents (not the center set)

A glovebox

The lower dash on the drivers side

The silver center console stereo trim

Pair of sun visors

End caps for the dash