LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

20190730_130803.thumb.jpg.b9d9b80a440ce6f6f296f407bc15cb1a.jpg

I thought I was going to have to sell you!

This is another reason why the GS tmic is the best on the market, a 90 dollar hose gets you access to all sorts of turbos..... hands down best tmic! F**k fmic's ....

Edited by Tehnation

Mmmm...I'm excited to see which snail you choose. All seem like pretty solid choices. I'll be happy once I make 400+ whp with my setup and built block. Getting close on getting the parts and pulling the trigger on moving forward lol. Do share videos bro!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

looks like there is plenty of room...... god damn $2300, so call it $2500.... I'm gonna wait until I break in the motor at least before I drop any more g's....

I'll get a nice comparison as well comparing the 20g to the gtx35... I need to really get this motor in this weekend, once classes start then its nothing but work and then classes, and then cold and snow....

Once my block is confirmed to be in working order and everything seems legit, then its time for round 2, but I will have you!! OH YES!!! YOU WILL BE MINE! MAUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I wonder how the gs tmic does on big end turbos... seems like my tuner thinks fmic is the only way to go. but with fewer distance of piping wouldn't the system charge faster?

Mmmm...I'm excited to see which snail you choose. All seem like pretty solid choices. I'll be happy once I make 400+ whp with my setup and built block. Getting close on getting the parts and pulling the trigger on moving forward lol. Do share videos bro!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

its the pump gas... makes things so much harder, but at the same time, its a lot more convenient when you can drive anywhere and get gas.... rather than needing an e85 app to find gas in the middle of nowhere..... not fun....

I'm leaning towards the garret gtx35r, but they don't have much technical info... its like turbo, here, buy, lol...

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/turbo/gtx3576r-gen-ii/

made it to here and gave up.... if it will do the job, who cares i guess...

I wonder how the gs tmic does on big end turbos... seems like my tuner thinks fmic is the only way to go. but with fewer distance of piping wouldn't the system charge faster?

As long as I keep the revs over 4000, I don't notice any lag with my GT3076. It feels like it builds boost as fast as I can push the pedal down.

Given that you already have the GS, I think I'd lean toward using it. If you're not happy with the results, then go FMIC.

I was pleasantly surprised how well the 3" inlet on my ATP cleared the TGV housings. I was expecting a clusterfuck like so many other stock-location 3" turbos. For that reason alone I'd prefer ATP over alternatives.

I'd also lean toward an internally gated turbo, and if you want an EWG, have one mounted on the up-pipe. This might be pointless nitpicking, but my gut says it makes more sense to vent the unwanted exhaust before the exhaust tract starts to neck down in the turbo exhaust housing.

I'd love to see how their stock-location GTX3576 performs, both in terms of how much power it makes and how wide the powerband is. I'm pretty sure I'm done with power mods, but if that thing makes 500whp with full boost by 4500, I might have to reconsider.

My C5 made 475whp a couple weeks ago. It would be hilarious to put the LGT back on top again. :)

Which turbo inlet hose did you use? I hear about bad ones collapsing.

I'm all for iwg, ewg seems like more parts, more complications, basically more stuff i don't want to think about lol...

Part of me wants to just sell this 20g and buy the gtx....but the more I think about it, I really want to make sure this block is good to avoid it eating 2500 dollars when i first start it...

At least I will have time to look into the blouchs, and do some more research.

but its definitely going to be one of these two. leaning more towards the garrett unless the blouch gives me a reason.

4.0xt-r

http://www.bptstore.com/Subaru-WRXSTi-Dominator-40XT-R-Full-Ball-Bearing-Turbocharger-_p_18.html

gtx3576r

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-SUB-084&Category_Code=SUB-INT

i can't find my bell housing bolts...

Bolt & Washer Bell House (2 L, 2 R)_____800510080______4

Bolt & Washer Bell House (top L & R)____800510060______2

Bell House Nut (lower L & R)___________802010080______2

Bell House Washer (lower L & R) _______803010120______2

anyone know part number for studs?

Edited by Tehnation

nah, they are studs, like the turbo but longer.... my nuts were rusted the stud and pulled the entire thing off when I pulled the motor. something like this

https://sprintingharejdm.co.uk/SH1178KGD

its part number

and the straight pin is

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_7/engine/cylinder_block/illustration_2/

#8 for studs #7 for pins

Edited by Tehnation

Which turbo inlet hose did you use? I hear about bad ones collapsing.

I'm all for iwg, ewg seems like more parts, more complications, basically more stuff i don't want to think about lol...

Part of me wants to just sell this 20g and buy the gtx....but the more I think about it, I really want to make sure this block is good to avoid it eating 2500 dollars when i first start it...

At least I will have time to look into the blouchs, and do some more research.

but its definitely going to be one of these two. leaning more towards the garrett unless the blouch gives me a reason.

4.0xt-r

http://www.bptstore.com/Subaru-WRXSTi-Dominator-40XT-R-Full-Ball-Bearing-Turbocharger-_p_18.html

gtx3576r

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-SUB-084&Category_Code=SUB-INT

I have the APS metal 3" inlet pipe. Not sure if they're still in production though.

IWG is working fine for me.

If I remember right, Blouch used to have issues with their turbo inlet being kinda behind the TGV housing, which made it hard to install... but that was years ago so even if I am remembering correctly it might not be the case anymore. It's something to check into though.

nah, they are studs, like the turbo but longer.... my nuts were rusted the stud and pulled the entire thing off when I pulled the motor. something like this

https://sprintingharejdm.co.uk/SH1178KGD

its part number

and the straight pin is

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_7/engine/cylinder_block/illustration_2/

#8 for studs #7 for pins

They come on the engine block. notice the old where one stud came out, there are also pictures where one of the transmission shop put the stud back in the wrong hole and I had to pop the left axle out to remove the nut and stud from so I could unbolt the tranny and left it in the car.

That FW is the Spec LWFW with a replaceable friction surface. It also uses the torx T50+ bolts.

ATTACH]278013[/ATTACH]

DSCN4788.thumb.JPG.c603ebf02e58c47c876d7664003daadf.JPG

DSCN4723.thumb.JPG.fce35a631aeb0c8dca5a585ca69c164f.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I pulled the entire stud when removing the nut. didn't know where i put them.

but i found them. looks like my pins are stuck in the tranny, but shouldn't be a problem. I was about to order 4 new short bolts, I was looking for days.... then I realized they are what I used to mount my engine to the stand.... derp derp derp.. was about to go to the stealership....

bolts.thumb.jpg.f3d39c8f98b4c1343c3a0e781781a7b9.jpg

studs.thumb.jpg.08fd6bd97c54d3aeb14fe543f66fef9a.jpg

That's what most of us use to bolt the block to the stand...LOL

Pretty funny...;)

Sometimes, you can't see the Forrest for the trees.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'm sure, but I seem to recall you have to slide the spline up into the U joint section...?

Have you checked the service manual ?

I know I looked at it years ago but had my mechanic replace it. He did tell me, that I should have done it when I had the engine out. It would have been easy then.