LegacyGT.com

2008 2.5i N\A Tuning (It has started)!!!

In order to move this thread along into a constructive discussion, OP needs to start producing some data and numbers, otherwise we will forever call him out on fluff and unsubstantiated statements about parts and recommendations to other owners.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In order to move this thread along into a constructive discussion, OP needs to start producing some data and numbers, otherwise we will forever call him out on fluff and unsubstantiated statements about parts and recommendations to other owners.

But if someone posted up some subjective comments about tuning a GT its OK because you GT guys know what times a tuned GT runs with stock turbo and certain level of mods.

But because he's tuned an NA then you need the OP to jump through hoops to satisfy yourselves that your cars are still faster (which we all know is the case anyway).

I agree it would be nice to have some hard data. I actually enjoy reading the updates as a bit of light entertainment. You can tell that the OP gets a lot of enjoyment out of modifying his car. Pity there are so many people trying to dampen his enthusiasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's one thing to be NA Tuned with general opinions on what the tune makes the car do/feel like and it's another to OMGWTFBBQ THIS TUNE IS AMAZING AND I HAVE NOTHING BUT STREET WINS AGAINST A BRZ to show for it. Can you see the difference there or not?
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

But if someone posted up some subjective comments about tuning a GT its OK because you GT guys know what times a tuned GT runs with stock turbo and certain level of mods.

But because he's tuned an NA then you need the OP to jump through hoops to satisfy yourselves that your cars are still faster (which we all know is the case anyway).

Like you've already been explained, gains on the GT are extremely well proven by this point. We know what Stage 1, 2, 3 generally means.

If someone were to say "I beat on XYZ with this tune and mods that nobody else has had done before", said GT owner would be solicited for data.

You can tell that the OP gets a lot of enjoyment out of modifying his car. Pity there are so many people trying to dampen his enthusiasm.

OP is making testable claims about gains in power and performance. This isn't about "my car looks so nice with a 1 inch drop, I am super excited". Do you see the distinction? He is claiming "my car has gained power, I am super excited and happy, I recommend these mods to anyone looking for power, by the way I have no data, just my enthusiasm. Also, super expensive oil and octane booster in the tank, just because".

well I caught the mail lady, about to pull off, and bam a month early the chamber is here. :spin::spin::spin::eek:

I was surprised, cause it came with the hard pipe, which is greatttt. I am going to get the parts all ready for the intake to the fog light and then get a new map from XRT. This is very nice, hand made and the welds are crazy nice. I will post more pics soon.

Sorry it's in plastic, I was press for time.

http://s28.postimg.org/hx89lfh7x/20160317_123944.jpg' alt='20160317_123944.jpg'>

^why is the chamber made from metal? wouldn't they want it to be cooler air?

looks like a ricer muffler, link to what sold you on this item?

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

it is a clean leggy, reminds me of my old one. All you need to do is bake the headlights, get rid of the reflectors and paint your grille black and it would look awesome.

Here's what I want to ask though as what would be logical vs. illogic.

-Etune: $350 which is a lot for an e-tune, more reputable e-tuners within the cobb tuning network charge $250 tops for an e-tune let alone $350 for an open source

-Kakimoto Intake $375

-what other little doodads you're throwing on with it let's say you spent $1000 all together and you gain 15hp with a much higher revving engine, doesn't make much sense now does it? Not to mention that 2.5i engine isn't engineered for performance.

Now lets look at on a LGT/WRX/STI a similar setup

-Cobb Accessport: $5-600

-Intake: $300

-E-tune: $250

You're looking at $1100 spent and you gain about 30-40hp and 50-60 torque out of that, much better throttle response and a much higher revving engine that was engineered for that kind of performance.

Do you see what we're getting at here?

How many times does this have to be stated? The only mod for n/a EJ motors that has any ROI is cams and head work. Without cams you are spending big for gains that can barely be measured.

I used to own a GF6 with an EJ253 swap. Loved that car for it's agility and utility, didn't worry too much about the hp number.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^ this.

Now if someone has that much disposible income and wants to do a full EJ257 swap to their 2.5i that would have me intrigued. Especially if they go FMIC and keep the scoopless hood. Serious sleeper status.

In all actuality I owned a 1999 2.2L impreza L. I knew it was not a performance engine at all so I spent my time on suspension and looks. And in all reality I made it pretty ricey but I enjoyed it even if it was super slow. I don't understand why there is so much talk in this thread without any data to back up the so called claims. Can the OP please spend the money/time to go to the strip or the dyno to prove his actual measurable gains with all his modifications and tunes. Maybe once he gets final revisions :iam:

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

and again, that's fine and all to have fun with your car even if you know it's slow. I know someone from local meets that has a BRZ and he knows it's slow, he used to have a STI that was pretty sweet and then he got the BRZ but it's one of the nicest cars i've seen aesthetically. He also rips it on the track all the time because he has that driver mod. Despite the fact it's slow it hasn't stopped him from having fun with it and making it look real good aesthetically.

It's another thing to post vehicular kill stories on the street and say you're not afraid to race a car that is 120HP+ than yours (eg, my WRX or a LGT)

You may find with an all metal intake your intake temps are higher esp for stop n go situations. Best way to tell would be to wire in a Intake Air Sensor in the stock, drive and log then swap to the metal and repeat. I would compare those and send them to the tuner so he can factor that in.

So as you know I have the chamber. Also all the parts I have talked about are on the way.

GEE, I am going to get re-tuned, and also look at the temps to. I did a bunch of research, and talked to people running the chamber and things are not what most would think of crazy hot metal causing problem. Most I have read about have 3.0R which would cause much more heat. The Ram air fog light should help a good amount. I know of a 3.0R running the same setup and has had not issues. :)

stay tuned for pictures and more 2.5i fun to come. :p:spin:

^ this.

Now if someone has that much disposible income and wants to do a full EJ257 swap to their 2.5i that would have me intrigued. Especially if they go FMIC and keep the scoopless hood. Serious sleeper status.

No, that doesn't really make sense to me either, since Subaru built a Legacy with a turbo 2.5 motor in it that you could just buy. Why bother creating something you can buy off the shelf, all ready to go or further mod? It's much easier to buy a GT, switch to FMIC and fit the hoodless scoop and 2.5i badges. If you're going to go to the trouble of swapping a motor, at least build something Subaru didn't have the guts or imagination to make themselves.

The other thing that makes no sense to me is kludging up the exhaust on a 2.5i, spoiling it's performance even further, just so it sounds like a 2.5GT... :iam:

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived