LegacyGT.com

2008 2.5i N\A Tuning (It has started)!!!

On that one, yes. Look at my post #135 in this thread

Ohhh, I gotcha. Those plots were on the previous page for me so I thought you were all talking about the one GTEASER posted. I started to think you guys were crazy for a minute.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohhh, I gotcha. Those plots were on the previous page for me so I thought you were all talking about the one GTEASER posted. I started to think you guys were crazy for a minute.

Haha I thought YOU were crazy for saying they all intersected at 5,252. We're actually the voice of logic and reason in this thread.

For the record NA guys, we don't hate your cars for not being turbo, we just think if you want more power you should buy a car with more power

I wouldnt even say that.

ther is a right way and a wrong way to go about tuning. again, no issues with a remote tuner, but since no many people do this it got to be done scientifically with a real dyno or 1/4mi time slips to prove the measurable gains in the real world. butt dynos and virtual dyno plots will be called out when the claims are outlandish.

Can you guys please concentrate on the dyno graph that OP posted and I bumped in post 135? This is the only one that relates to his car that we have. The others pulled from the tuners website by other members to try to call out credibility issues are irrelevant to this build thread and the tuner has already weighed in on those with an explanation. Additionally, there may be some "english being a second language" issue going on here as well.

^i did. that is a virtual dyno, not a real dyno as far as we can tell. therefore, not reliable.

Of course, its a virtual graph from a remote tuner based on logs and it's not reliable. Until OP goes and gets his car dyno'ed, gets himself a quarter-mile time slip, or updates with more butt dyno info ( :lol: ), there is no reason for anyone to post here.

Can you guys please concentrate on the dyno graph that OP posted and I bumped in post 135? This is the only one that relates to his car that we have. The others pulled from the tuners website by other members to try to call out credibility issues are irrelevant to this build thread and the tuner has already weighed in on those with an explanation. Additionally, there may be some "english being a second language" issue going on here as well.

Wait a second, what he offered was hardly an explanation and didn't satisfy ANY of my concerns. OP is touting this tuner and suggesting that others use him, so I don't know how questioning the tuner isn't relevant. If those strange dyno graphs are a result of the tuner using some proprietary algorithm to calculate power from logs, then the algorithm is faulty and any dynos from logs are faulty. Also, English is the primary language spoken in Barbados and the tuner's website is all in English, so I know that he understands what we're asking.

To any actual 2.5i people reading this, sorry for all the people that are off topic. I will not be wasting time on their post.

Car is still running great.

I was able to get some logs in with my new oil. I am still waiting on some parts to come in, and install. :spin:

To any actual 2.5i people reading this, sorry for all the people that are off topic.

Car is still running great.

I was able to get some logs in with my new oil. I am still waiting on some parts to come in, and install.

Nice to see you're back. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take your car.

I think everyone knows it's not going to be a race car but it's modding cars that makes us happy. And if it makes you happy then do it ;)

As for doing dyno runs and 1/4 mile these all cost $. If you're logs and butt dyno say its better then I say save the $ and spend it on cars parts :)

Having said that getting your car on a dyno can be useful in terms of making sure AFR's are within spec and that you're not running too rich or lean.

To any actual 2.5i people reading this, sorry for all the people that are off topic. I will not be wasting time on their post.

They aren't off topic though. They are discussing the credibility of how your virtual dyno plots are physically possible and would like to see actual measurable gains done on a physical dyno or times in a 1/4 mile to actually prove the gains you've had. I know that every virtual dyno I've put my logs into give me false numbers but I know that my car is definitely faster and puts down more power as there are quite a few others with the same setup that I have.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I think everyone knows it's not going to be a race car but it's modding cars that makes us happy. And if it makes you happy then do it ;)

As for doing dyno runs and 1/4 mile these all cost $. If you're logs and butt dyno say its better then I say save the $ and spend it on cars parts :)

Having said that getting your car on a dyno can be useful in terms of making sure AFR's are within spec and that you're not running too rich or lean.

Yeah they all about number to prove something. Oh well. Number are great but don't mean crap on the street. :eek: These do cost to do 1/4th mile and dyno. I will try to get to one but I live 3 hours away from the dyno, and closest track is 3 hours. :lol: So when life settles down a bit I will get that all done.

People do not understand life I guess, I have full time job, plus I am shooting weddings this year, and I do have a 4 month old, along with the process of buying another house. Not to worried about time slips and dyno numbers. :lol:

They aren't off topic though. They are discussing the credibility of how your virtual dyno plots are physically possible and would like to see actual measurable gains done on a physical dyno or times in a 1/4 mile to actually prove the gains you've had. I know that every virtual dyno I've put my logs into give me false numbers but I know that my car is definitely faster and puts down more power as there are quite a few others with the same setup that I have.

Yeah postin pictures about sandwiches is on topic I guess huh :rolleyes: This care about number. Car is not a race car, I cared about number in my mustang.

Yeah 2.5i guys should stay tuned, the car is going to go in an nice direction for sure. not just in performance, but looks and other little mods that can be done that are quality and set the car off for other cars or legacy's.

I am here to just let all 2.5i owner or any N\A that you do not have to sell and get a WRX or LGT like every other person. you can save your bucks and do many nice things to the 2.5i. :)

No one has said once numbers prove something over street results or anything even close. :lol: When you preach, and preach HARD, about your butt dyno/tuner/roadkills people simply want to know WHAT does it mean? WHAT was achieved? WHAT actually improved in two catergories: HP and TQ. That's it man. Don't get defensive, don't complain about it, you brought it up by starting a tuning thread. Why is it so offensive, so ridiculous, so out there that people would want to see numbers on a TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNING thread??? :confused:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Yeah postin pictures about sandwiches is on topic I guess huh :rolleyes: This care about number. Car is not a race car, I cared about number in my mustang.

Numbers prove everything even if it isn't a race car. A butt dyno and virtual dyno is not enough for the power you are trying to prove. You post all these kill stories and then say its not a race car. :confused:

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Not one single person would or should tell you that you can't mod your NA car. Make it yours, do you.

What we WILL tell you is that unless you go forced induction or some ridiculous swap, an NA legacy will never be fast. It just won't. You will never recover from an 8 second 0 to 60 time when a turbo car, which already starts a full second or more quicker to 60, can get nothing but a tune and jump more WHP than you will with hundreds and hundreds of dollars into the NA motor.

Let's put it this way. Zeroto60times.com lists a 2005 Legacy (wagon, but still NA) as 7.9 seconds 0-60. My 1995 ford probe has a full half second quicker run to 60. Sorry dude, but you don't have a fast car.

All that said, again, make it yours, do you. Modify it how you want. Celebrate it. It just gets old hearing about how hard the car pulls and how fast it is and how you're decimating other cars in street races and shit. There's nothing wrong with saying 'hey I did x and y and it feels faster and it's more fun to drive'.

Coming in here and reading about how 'OMGLOLLERCOPTERZ IT ARE SO FAST IT PULL SO HARD IT BEATS SHIT OUT OF X AND Y AND Z' is just ridiculous and invites the negative attention you've seen in this thread.

I could suck start a snow blower.

And NORU, we don't want to hear about street racing antics. Do it on the track please, for the safety of you and the general public. This forum and the credible members here do not condone racing on the street in any form and will not tolerate your bragging or glorification of it.

Yeah they all about number to prove something. Oh well. Number are great but don't mean crap on the street. :eek: These do cost to do 1/4th mile and dyno. I will try to get to one but I live 3 hours away from the dyno, and closest track is 3 hours. :lol: So when life settles down a bit I will get that all done.

But you went just a week or two ago to the strip? :confused: Oh weird, that post where you said that seems to be removed? :confused::confused::confused:

But I agree with you on those jerks overcharging at the drag strips..charging $20 bucks during open nights for all you can run in a night and whatnot. THE NERVE! Those $20 could definitely go towards more useful go fast parts like plug wires or a K&N filter or even a bottle of octane booster...heck maybe even 2!!!!!

But you went just a week or two ago to the strip? :confused: Oh weird, that post where you said that seems to be removed? :confused::confused::confused:

QUOTE]

First off I have never taken this car close to a drag strip, Never. I said I went out to the strip,which in a very long road in my town. This car has not seen a DRAG STRIP :mad:. If I would have went I would have posted the times. You assumed strip meant Drag Track.

Guys without 2.5NA cars if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread I suggest that you find another forum area to have your discussions/banter. You're clogging up this thread with your repetitive posts. If you have previously tuned a 2.5NA feel free to contribute to the ongoing discussion with your real world experience.

You may find posting up dyno plots that are clearly not from a 2.5NA humerous, however for those with 2.5NAs that are interested in modifying/improving the performance of our cars it really is getting beyond a joke.

I don't see why the OP has to spend $ to get his car dyno tested or run on the drag strip just for a bunch of keyboard warriors. A lot of people that get their cars tuned never run it on a dyno or down the 1/4 mile.

You can see that the OP is remote tuning/logging and then tweaking the tune based on the log results. This is clearly a work in progress. Also given that the OP has no base/stock dyno or 1/4 mile times it's really not that meaningful to get these done now.

Us 2.5NA owners are under no illusions that there are only modest gains in terms of power/torque from tuning a 4 cylinder NA engine. On auto/CVT models there's also some tweaks to the transmission which can net some gains too.

There are a number of things that can be done to make a car "feel" quicker like adjusting the throttle maps to speed up response. Even changing the throttle response can turn a dull drive into something that is more enjoyable - without any power increase.

Finally the OP has never claimed to be running any particular times or power outputs. All his posts have been butt-dyno results. The only claim he has made is being able to keep up with a car that used to pull away in a straight line. It's not an unreasonable yardstick and a useful comparison in terms of a vehicle that is fairly well documented in terms of its performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 2.5L V6 MX6 with a KLZE in it. 200hp stock in a car that weighed less than 2800lbs. I wanted to go faster. I put in Ferrea valves, colt cams, hotshot headers, millenia injectors, walbro pump, upgraded clutch and had the heads lightly ported. I also used Megasquirt to tune the car myself. Sure, I could have posted in the MX6 forums about how I could chirp the tires in 2nd and 3rd, but who cares? So I did the sensible thing. I tracked improvements based on how long 2k RPM to 5500RPM took in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. Also got 0-60 times. Never went to a track, never went to a strip, never went on a dyno, but I was still able to post quantitative and meaningful info to back up my butt dyno readings. You may find my last post (that was deleted by the mods) ridiculous, but realize that it's no more ridiculous than anything OP has posted until he can actually show numbers to prove that his car has improved and it's not just a placebo effect. Emperors new clothes and such.

I agree that this thread would be better with some more quantitative data to back up the qualitative results. However if the OP doesn't have the data then there's no point everyone keeping asking for it over and over and over and over and over again.

It gets kind of repetitive.

As he has stated, the OP is on a tight budget and he's clearly not going to dyno his car every time he gets a new revision tune - especially given its 3 hours drive away.

I applaud him for sticking with it and continuing to document his project even though there's a fair bit of ongoing criticism.

I am actually also a little surprised at how many non-2.5NA guys are showing such a keen interest in this build. He's not claiming to go crazy fast - just being able to keep up with some other 4 cylinder cars where before he would drop behind. I don't think those claims are too outrageous and from my own personal experience it sounds about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived