LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Legacy Wheel Thread

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stepped down a size to have narrower tires with thick sidewall for winter.

Put these on about a month ago after doing a ton of research to determine if 16" rims would fit. Fortunately the wheels fit, but I'm really concerned the wheel balance plates will get knocked off of anything finds it's way inside the rims.

I calculated a 3% error from my stock tires, but when travelling my gps and speedometer speeds were both identicle.

Rims:

16X7, 45 mm offset Sport Edition V1

Tires:

215/65R16 Michelin X-Ice Xi3735850bcb423d175cc3d33cf5d12c448.jpg08c5b3a451fa4c2e0899977aa90bfa53.jpgc896633e7358fab0e30bf610bda9e9c4.jpge4713c0578c110d9641abaf82d0cb05b.jpg66dc37c6a0efc277651e182ce8c5e74a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Stepped down a size to have narrower tires with thick sidewall for winter.

Put these on about a month ago after doing a ton of research to determine if 16" rims would fit. Fortunately the wheels fit, but I'm really concerned the wheel balance plates will get knocked off of anything finds it's way inside the rims.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I put used 16" wheel + snow tire set on mine Friday of last week, I'll throw up a pic once I get a chance. I'm fine with the amount of clearance between caliper and wheel weights. Some OE wheels have had similar clearances over the years.

The person before me had clearance issues (lexus). On 2 of my wheels they originally had the weights on the inside of the wheel, and then relocated them to the inside edge, in addition to using spacer plates. If you are concerned you could have the wheels re-balanced and the weights relocated.

I put used 16" wheel + snow tire set on mine Friday of last week, I'll throw up a pic once I get a chance. I'm fine with the amount of clearance between caliper and wheel weights. Some OE wheels have had similar clearances over the years.

The person before me had clearance issues (lexus). On 2 of my wheels they originally had the weights on the inside of the wheel, and then relocated them to the inside edge, in addition to using spacer plates. If you are concerned you could have the wheels re-balanced and the weights relocated.

Am planning on going with 16s as well, Tire Rack approves, but will go with another vendor for Momo Winter 2 wheels and Michelin X-Ice. This is the setup we have on our 2012 Legacy which is in it's 7th winter now (purchased fall 2011), the wheels look nice, clean up nice, easy to handle.

All in all, have had better snow experience with higher sidewall tires than with low profiles.

Just picked up a set of OZ Ultraleggera in Black - going for a blacked out look with a little chrome.

I’m super surprised at their weight compared to the stock 18s.

They camr with 225/40 but I’m gonna use the stock size 225/50 on them to fill the wheel well and improve ride quality a bit, I like the stock feel for my daily (my project/ summer ride is a VW convertible on coilovers slammed to the ground)

Pics to come when the weather gets better. I did a test fit but the car is really dirty and the 225/40 looks out of place

Actually ended up with the 16" X-Ice on Tire Rack's 16X7 RADIUS WI02 TI in Gunmetal, and am a little tweaked they put the balancing weights on the inside given that the vehicle was specified, but will see when I get them on, too cold to do it today...

225/60/16 Michelin X-Ice Snows on 16x7 Radius WI02 TI Gunmetal from Tire Rack. Note the close spacing for balancing weights and caliper clearance. Ironically, the fit is tighter in the back than up front, only realized after selecting the wheels with fewer weights to the front. All in all, expect it should be fine, the actual clearance is slightly better than it appears in the photo.

Not going for anything super impressive for our salty winters, have seen better snow performance and protection from road condition hazards with the higher sidewall tires, and these wheels were lightweight and easy to handle (self change) and the whole package under $1k. Paint seems nice and glossy and thick to handle some winter wear.

http://www.gooley.net/images/SnowWheels2.jpg

http://www.gooley.net/images/SnowWheels3.jpg

http://www.gooley.net/images/SnowWheels4.jpg

Edited by Fraugher

...Not going for anything super impressive for our salty winters, have seen better snow performance and protection from road condition hazards with the higher sidewall tires...

For those reasons most tire experts here in the great frozen north recommend going to a -1 setup with taller sidewalls for the winter. I figured I'd go part way and install the base Legacy setup of 225/55R17 on 17" wheels rather than the 18" that came on my car.

Being the owner of a 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata with 17" wheels, I was curious if they would fit on the '17 Legacy. It turns out that the factory 17" wheel from the NC generation of Miata is a perfect fit. It has the same offset, bolt pattern and a slightly larger bore. There are lots of 2006 to 2015 Miata owners around who have swapped their original mags for aftermarket and have sets of four of these wheels lying around in their garages. I picked up 4 in excellent condition for slightly more than black steel wheels and I think they look good on my Legacy for a winter wheel. I even have Subaru centre caps that fit the Mazda wheel.

NC-on-Legacy-1.thumb.jpg.d7eb3f867c9ea829bc642488f025c873.jpg

NC-on-Legacy-3.thumb.jpg.d25433728fe137f0021e79487a18adba.jpg

2038136796_NCWheel.png.075b6034c25ada56a02ba40d0bb27a06.png

It turns out that the factory 17" wheel from the NC generation of Miata is a perfect fit. It has the same offset, bolt pattern and a slightly larger bore.

Without centering rings, "a slightly larger bore" (67.1 mm vs. 56.1 mm = 11 mm/0.433 in larger) is not a perfect fit. The Mazda rim width is also half an inch narrower than the Legacy (7.0 in vs 7.5 in).

The uncommon 55mm offset is perfect, though. Good find.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Without centering rings, "a slightly larger bore" (67.1 mm vs. 56.1 mm = 11 mm/0.433 in larger) is not a perfect fit. The Mazda rim width is also half an inch smaller than the Legacy (7.0 in vs 7.5 in).

The uncommon 55mm offset is perfect, though. Good find.

I'll agree, it's not perfect by the strictest definitely of the word, but it's also not dangerous. Lots of people run lug centric wheels without any real issue. I did use a centering ring on my methods, but likely wouldn't have if they didn't include it with the wheels.

Is there a reason the majority of you guys dropping to 16" rims for winters kept the 225 tire width? I went with a 215/65 instead of 225/60, narrower tire will improve ground pressure and the tire load rating is the exact same for Michelin X-Ice.

Is there a reason the majority of you guys dropping to 16" rims for winters kept the 225 tire width?

I think some of it may be because you understand winter tires better than most people. Bigger is not always better.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Is there a reason the majority of you guys dropping to 16" rims for winters kept the 225 tire width? I went with a 215/65 instead of 225/60, narrower tire will improve ground pressure and the tire load rating is the exact same for Michelin X-Ice.

I bought my used set complete, so beggars can't be choosers lol. Finding a decent used set, no curb damage, with even + deep remaining tread in a good size is a challenge.

Also, while it is my "winter" set, I'm still only going to be on snow <10% of the time. I need the DOT snow rating for "traction tires required" areas. The 225 vs. 215 i wouldn't consider that big of difference anyways but I definitely wouldn't upsize. Back east I'm sure sees a lot more snow than where I'm at

When it comes time to replace I'll consider the 215/65 setup

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking to do some wheels that are flush with the fenders on a mild drop. Is +15 too aggressive? 18x8.5 Flat Bronze 5-100/5-114.3 [+15mm]
My impression from previous posts:

On a 8.5" width,

55 offset (sti oem people are running) fill up the wheel well pretty good but is not "flush"

40 offset is pretty aggressive. Supposedly doesn't rub, but I don't know if people are loading up their cars and going over bumps etc.

Anything lower is gonna require fenderwork and/or pretty stiff aftermarket suspension.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm looking to do some wheels that are flush with the fenders on a mild drop. Is +15 too aggressive? 18x8.5 Flat Bronze 5-100/5-114.3 [+15mm]

Yes, +15 would definitely be too aggressive, unless you want your wheels to protrude a lot from your fenders or you're planning to custom-make wide-body fenders.

Even my 19x9 +35 wheels required extensive rear fender rolling and cutting, at my ride height. I'm dropped 1.5", but with soft stock springs and shocks, +35 would still rub at stock height. I learned that the hard way because back when I was running 20mm spacers with stock wheels and suspension (ie, the equivalent of 18x7.5 +35), I rubbed at the rear when going over bumps and when cornering hard.

On a 8.5" width,

55 offset (sti oem people are running) fill up the wheel well pretty good but is not "flush"

Far from flush.

40 offset is pretty aggressive. Supposedly doesn't rub, but I don't know if people are loading up their cars and going over bumps etc.

Anything lower is gonna require fenderwork and/or pretty stiff aftermarket suspension.

@evo171 is running 19x8.5 +45 at stock ride height and stock rear fenders (no rolling/cutting), and has had no issues with carrying loads or going over bumps, that I know of.

Edited by surmiser
@redvenetian on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170102/76ddcbfb72796c29789f944431ab2c06.png

This person is on IG and told me his are 20" and fenders are rolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's his Instagram username? Would love to check out more pics

• 2 weeks later...