LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Legacy Wheel Thread

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the STI Rims but from a different seller. That other guy wasn't budging on the price. They have minor curb rash on two of the rims but otherwise very good conditions. Came with 245/40R18 tires and tpms but as I found out yesterday the tires are shot, not surprised, but was hoping I could get little more life out of them. Now I'm in the market for new rubber and I cannot decide what to get.

When I put the new rims with tires on my car yesterday I didnt like the smaller profile of the tire. Car looked ackward with tiny wheels. Looking at the pictures on this thread it is hard to judge from pictures if the 245/45R18 will look tiny. They don't but pictures can be deceiving. I'm looking to stay closer to the overall size of the stock with these new rims. My plan is to run summer on these rims and winter on the stock 18", but summer tire choices for 245/50R18 we're not that great on Tire Rack. There were some ok/good All-Season there. So, 45 or 50 for the side wall? Seem most have gone with 45, except grnlanrern1 done a 50. Another option, I could follow Andrew and do 255/45R18 for a little extra protection. His tires also looked bigger too.

Has anyone run winter on the stock 18" limited wheels yet, or not recommended? I was thinking 225/55r18. Thoughts?

Just get the 245/45R18's as they are very close to stock size and easiest to get. The 255/45R18 will work as well (slightly larger) but is not so common.

Rim protection is more to do with the design of the tire and if there is protection built into the sidewall of the tire, though if they're stretched this will expose the rim more than if you have a slightly wider tire on the same width rim.

As you noticed the stock WRX tire fitment is too small on the Legacy. The Legacy can easily take a 19" rim but there's no 19's in STI yet (will be with the 2018 WRX STI). Though you'll have to wait for a bit to see these hit the second-hand market.

Dipped my wheels today. So happy with the result! :)

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae108/muncee/Mobile%20Uploads/20170423_003913.jpg

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae108/muncee/Mobile%20Uploads/20170423_003930.jpg

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae108/muncee/Mobile%20Uploads/20170423_003757.jpg

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae108/muncee/Mobile%20Uploads/20170423_003830.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Wondering people's thoughts on this... I've got a decent lead on 4 new takeoff Mustang GT 10 spoke wheels 18" x 8" ET 40

http://i.imgur.com/ct238om.jpg

Based on Will It Fit - Its claiming that it will stick out 0.8 of an inch compared to my stock 17" setup....

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=55&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=55&width2=235&aspect2=50&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=40

Any thoughts? I like the look but don't know if a close to 1 inch difference is cause for concern...

Quick photoshop rendering... of the wheels I'm talking about

http://i.imgur.com/eXSItkx.png

Edited by SubyBru

Wondering people's thoughts on this... I've got a decent lead on 4 new takeoff Mustang GT 10 spoke wheels 18" x 8" ET 40

I like them! On the first page, there's a chart of all the sizes that work. There's an 18x8 +38mm offset, and it's fine, so if yours is +40mm, you should also be fine.

I must be the only one that cant figure out fitment even with offset calculators. I want to go with an 18 x 8 with 43mm off with 225 50 18... If my stock is 17 x 7.5 55mm off with 225 55 17 that would mean my combo will be sticking out nearly 3/4 inch farther.. Eyeballing it that seems that would be out to far. But then I see pics with 38mm off and it looks fine. What am I missing or am just over thinking it...

I must be the only one that cant figure out fitment even with offset calculators. I want to go with an 18 x 8 with 43mm off with 225 50 18... If my stock is 17 x 7.5 55mm off with 225 55 17 that would mean my combo will be sticking out nearly 3/4 inch farther.. Eyeballing it that seems that would be out to far. But then I see pics with 38mm off and it looks fine. What am I missing or am just over thinking it...

You're overthinking it. If you look on the front page, there's a chart of what sizes are ran and if there's any issues. According to the chart, we can run an 18x8 with 38mm offset and be fine, so you'll definitely be fine with a +43mm offset wheel. I would recommend a 245/45r18 size tire though. The 225 will be a little stretched, so the 245 will add some protection to the lip of the wheel.

Looks amazing! How are the tires? Have you put them through their paces yet?

Been getting used to driving a lower profile and wider tire you can definitely feel the difference. They are a bit noisy, but I expected it with lower harder side walls and more rubber meeting the road. Driving at lower speeds it is normal, but it is when you get up to speed that you really notice the difference. It leaves me wanting a better suspension now. I have been noticing tho in the morning for the first half-mile or so the ride is a little bumpy but then it smooths out and it's fine onward. First I thought I might have a bent rim. Then I thought maybe it was the road by my house because the town did some construction recently but I suspect the tire might be flat spotting a little when I leave the car parked over night which seems unusual but I can't think of anything else.

Been getting used to driving a lower profile and wider tire you can definitely feel the difference. They are a bit noisy, but I expected it with lower harder side walls and more rubber meeting the road. Driving at lower speeds it is normal, but it is when you get up to speed that you really notice the difference. It leaves me wanting a better suspension now. I have been noticing tho in the morning for the first half-mile or so the ride is a little bumpy but then it smooths out and it's fine onward. First I thought I might have a bent rim. Then I thought maybe it was the road by my house because the town did some construction recently but I suspect the tire might be flat spotting a little when I leave the car parked over night which seems unusual but I can't think of anything else.

If you are feeling a bit of the wobbles from new rims it could be a number of things that are cheap fixes. You may need some hub centric rings. They are like $10-$20 and will help with that bumpy feeling as it will help the rim center itself on the hub like your factory wheels did. It could also be tire pressure or wheel balancing causing this issue as well. If you had a bent rim or a flat spot on the tire you'd feel it at just about any speed.

If you had a bent rim or a flat spot on the tire you'd feel it at just about any speed.

Not necessarily. Suspension resonances and/or damping can make imbalances more noticeable at some range of road speeds vs. slower or faster.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

If you are feeling a bit of the wobbles from new rims it could be a number of things that are cheap fixes. You may need some hub centric rings. They are like $10-$20 and will help with that bumpy feeling as it will help the rim center itself on the hub like your factory wheels did. It could also be tire pressure or wheel balancing causing this issue as well. If you had a bent rim or a flat spot on the tire you'd feel it at just about any speed.

Thanks for the input. It isn't pulsating all the time only in the morning when I first get into the car for the first couple miles and it is only under the seat not on steering wheel and then it is fine onward. The rim is a Subaru rim and I had them balanced twice. Last one yesterday was road force balanced and they are fine. Tire pressure is set to OEM standard.

Thanks Tigger73. I was poking around on NASIOC and read someone recommending inflating them to 40 psi cold. Also been doing some reading on Road Force Balance trying to get better educated after getting my results and debating making a third trip to the installer. I read that 10 and under is ideal but under 26 is acceptable. It seems they only measured and did not rotate tire on rim. Below were my readings.

LF - 16

RF - 17

LR - 19

RR - 6

2016 WRX Limited Wheels

Powder coated gloss black

18 X 8.5 ET 55

BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2 245/45/R18

McGard spline drive tuner lugs

2015+ WRX/STI center cap overlays from Pro Stickers

What are you lowered on?