LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went out last night for a pull in the 25 degree weather. Hit about 18.5 psi. So I don't think things are as bad as they were but I would expect an overboost situation could still occur if the temps dropped a bit further. At this point I'm guessing it's just as good as it's going to be without porting the IWG.

Did a little research last night on this forum and it sounds like some of these cars are just finicky when you go stage 2. Some overboost, some don't. Catted or catless DP, any CBE set up. Porting solves the problem in most cases. Mine apparently is one that's going to be problematic.

Not sure what the plan is next. I'll probably throw my AVO mufflers back on because I miss the noise. Get it retuned in the spring / early summer. Add a boost gauge so I can keep an eye on things. When it gets cold I'll just have to be careful.

I'm going to check with the local Subaru communities and see if there is a semi local place that does porting. If it can be done for a reasonable price I might consider that.

I went out last night for a pull in the 25 degree weather. Hit about 18.5 psi. So I don't think things are as bad as they were but I would expect an overboost situation could still occur if the temps dropped a bit further. At this point I'm guessing it's just as good as it's going to be without porting the IWG.

Did a little research last night on this forum and it sounds like some of these cars are just finicky when you go stage 2. Some overboost, some don't. Catted or catless DP, any CBE set up. Porting solves the problem in most cases. Mine apparently is one that's going to be problematic.

Not sure what the plan is next. I'll probably throw my AVO mufflers back on because I miss the noise. Get it retuned in the spring / early summer. Add a boost gauge so I can keep an eye on things. When it gets cold I'll just have to be careful.

I'm going to check with the local Subaru communities and see if there is a semi local place that does porting. If it can be done for a reasonable price I might consider that.

I happen to know a guy who made a restrictor plate for some temporary help with his overboost issues. :cool:

If you need it, I will be happy to mail it to you when it comes out in a few weeks. Not pretty but it added enough backpressure in my setup to keep things under control.

So, are there actually people in colder climates that have gone stage 2 and don't have this overboosting problem when the temp drops? Sorry, if I missed this earlier in the thread.

Yes but I don't have a Nameless DP. I'm stage 2 with an AVO DP bolted to the remainder of the stock exhaust, and I live in one of the colder regions.

Thanks mcg_.

What about people with a full TBE, nameless or not, in colder climates?

So, full stage 2 is no longer truly a simple bolt on options since wastegate porting or moving to an ewg would be necessary?!?!?

Thanks mcg_.

What about people with a full TBE, nameless or not, in colder climates?

So, full stage 2 is no longer truly a simple bolt on options since wastegate porting or moving to an ewg would be necessary?!?!?

Full TBE here, (Invidia) living in Toronto.

Did a third gear pull in -20c (-4 Degrees Fahrenheit to you yanks) weather before, tune is limited to 16.5 psi, I regularly hit 18.5 psi in the winter time... even I have been wondering if its worth the trouble to get an EWG.

So far my car seems to be fine though, DAM at 1 all the time and the only knock I get is on partial throttle high rpm (-1.4 to -2.8 feedback knock with -2.8 being very very rare) (no knock at WOT)

Edited by DeltaSniper

I want to go stage 2 but don't to be constantly chasing a solution.

Hopefully, I'll at least get a new bpv, charge pipe and a custom tune this summer.

If you run with the stock CBE and a catted DP, you shouldn't have any trouble at stage 2. I was just fine at stage 3 in cold weather when I left my stock CBE in place.

So, I would either have to get rid of my Invidia CBE or swap that portion out ever November to March. The funny thing is that I toyed with the idea of getting the dp instead of the cbe. Hindsight I tell ya.

So from what I'm understanding, you have about a 50/50 chance of boost creep when the temps drop if you're running an aftermarket CBE due to inadequate backpressure. If creeping occurs, the only way to fix it is to have your exhaust side or wastegate ported?

I think I finally got all the parts I want to install and go "Stg2" (Nameless J-pipe, RacerX chargepipe, Grimmspeed EBCS, and GFB Hybrid) So now just prepping to install and get a tune once it gets a bit warmer. I am currently going to be sticking with the stock CBE, but that's only until funds are collected for an Invidia Q300 or the Magnaflow CBE. I do live in Iowa, so it does get cold during the winter months, and I commute 100+ miles a day... Just trying to get a handle on this before winter hits next year to avoid problems.

So from what I'm understanding, you have about a 50/50 chance of boost creep when the temps drop if you're running an aftermarket CBE due to inadequate backpressure. If creeping occurs, the only way to fix it is to have your exhaust side or wastegate ported?

I think I finally got all the parts I want to install and go "Stg2" (Nameless J-pipe, RacerX chargepipe, Grimmspeed EBCS, and GFB Hybrid) So now just prepping to install and get a tune once it gets a bit warmer. I am currently going to be sticking with the stock CBE, but that's only until funds are collected for an Invidia Q300 or the Magnaflow CBE. I do live in Iowa, so it does get cold during the winter months, and I commute 100+ miles a day... Just trying to get a handle on this before winter hits next year to avoid problems.

If I were you, I'd recommend keeping your stock CBE. If you really want the sound of a pass-through system, your risk of boost creep or overboosting is going to go up significantly. If you save the funds for an aftermarket system, you might also want to set aside a little extra for porting the wastegate or do it yourself if you feel comfortable dropping the turbo.

What about keeping the center pipe of the stock CBE with nameless mufflers? Is this even possible? And would it provide enough back pressure?

You're talking about keeping the midpipe? Not sure how it will mate to the Nameless mufflers but from a backpressure standpoint you might be okay. Backpressure is a function not only of the pipe diameter but also the length. That's a long section of pipe at reduced diameter. My guess is that would probably be enough, especially since you also have a cat in the downpipe.

That's what I plan to do. I'm already running the axlebacks.

I will be going a similar route soon. AVO DP (which is only half of the Nameless DP)-> stock -> Nameless axleback.

I'm already tuned with the AVO DP. I don't anticipate a change in my tune when adding the axleback, but, of course, I will log vigorously right before and right after the addition of the axleback.

Once I get around to it, I plan on rolling the dice with the full Nameless TBE. If I get boost creep, I'll re-evaluate. I'm sure my wife would prefer keeping things inexpensive (meaning, putting back the OEM midpipe), but I'd prefer to keep parts that have seen New England salt off of the car entirely. Plus, shiny.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost have everything for stage2 just waiting on my gasket and bpv to come in and my tune date is set for April 17 by pdx tuning

Just have one question I will be using my stock midpipe and have the grimmspeed adapter

Do I use the stock spring blots or the ones that came with the adapter and do I need a donut gasket for the midpipe to adapter side? I just don't want any leaks

I reused my donut gasket and did not have any issues. IIRC, I used the bolts that came with the adapter, but they were only barely long enough, like I could only get them started with 2 threads and then hope for the best.