LegacyGT.com

Independent testing of the Grimmspeed Intake

Tuning Alliance

Real world driving conditions in fall weather, with zero power readings to confirm anything.

I never said it was a "junk".:mad: Most cars? The stock intake was fine on the dyno. The intake doesnt require massive airflow, but having a path to fresh air of any kind would help. The fender well doesnt have any positive source of airflow. They included the ducting for the BRZ, but not the wrx/lgt. Yes, it is a different shape. So I guess its okay to have turbulence in the brz intake but not the wrx.

Sorry you implied it was junk.

Also in response to the bolded section I'm not sure what sort of data it will take to convince you we are actually seeing "normal" intake temperatures on the road. I can't log the ambient air temperature on my Accessport. If I have too I'll put my track day helmet on with the gopro so you can see both the intake temperature and the ambient temperature reading.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that at this point, it's probably best for people that like the GrimmSpeed intake and believe that we're being truthful to purchase it and for those that don't like the intake and don't believe that we're being honest to simply not purchase it.

It's quite clear that there's a difference of opinion here, based on a number of variables that I can't even begin to count, that won't be easily rectified. With that said, there's also plenty of data in this thread and in other threads that LGT folks can use as they research which products are right for them.

I would like to leave with one technical tidbit that I know from working with how important dyno cell airflow is in the testing of our TMIC, which uses a very dense core and relies heavily on the forced air that you see on the road.

A typical industrial 'snail fan' like you see here flows 1,500-1,700 CFM (that's cubic feet per minute). The frontal area of an 05 LGT is 24SQFT or so. If you put that into your fancy calculator, you'll see that blowing such a fan at the front of a stationary vehicle is approximately equal to a vehicle speed of just under 1MPH. Is the door behind the dyno closed? That's creating restriction that doesn't exist on the road, so you're going to need to push even harder to achieve that CFM figure.

To simulate the same volumetric airflow as a 30MPH air speed, you would need around 36 of those same fans and some way to keep the air from simply spilling around the car, in order to generate the 62,000CFM required for a proper simulation. You want 60MPH? Double those figures.

Sounds crazy, right? Well, purpose built dyno cells all over the country are capable of that and much more. Those guys use 4 or 5 multi-blade fans on each end of the car, or even a single large industrial/military fan on each end, to introduce and evacuate air into the cell in equal volumes. If you're interested, try to find a photo of the dyno fans at IAG or Phatbotti Tuning. Those guys understand airflow and it's affect on the accuracy of dyno testing.

Just some food for thought to put the magnitude of the differences we're referring to into perspective.

Cheers!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

Sooo, case closed now, right?! When we say "repeatable" data, we don't mean "reiterate" and I think most of us are tired of reiterating.

Let the data speak for itself and be validated by all 69 people who participated in the group buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

The reality is that this intake is not all that different from all the other intakes out there. The factory inlet tube is quite small and necks down to 2.4". The stock intake is larger than the inlet tube (~2.75") and thus is unlikely to be the major restriction in the intake side. The filter element itself is likely the biggest contributor to how the system flows. So if you believe you need a intake larger that 2.75" to feed a 2.4" inlet then great. I simply do not think it has a large impact.

You bring a very valid point here, my ~20whp gains were with a Perrin STi inlet, which is factory inlet size but it's smoother. Though on stock airbox, going from a holy stock inlet to perrin silicon one didn't show any real measurable power gains for me. Once I replace my slipping clutch, I might do some more testing with intakes but swap in the stock inlet.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

the sound of my grimmspeed intake spooling with my 1.5 xtr is incredible. although it gets drowned out by EWG and 3in straight pipe on the upper RPMs but 3000/3200rpm at spool sounds like a tornado is ripping under my hood

Funny thing is I bet most ppl on the road who hear all the new noises busting out from under my hood during spool probably think my car is either broken or about to explode. Which might be true but hopefully not just yet :)

funny thing is i bet most ppl on the road who hear all the new noises busting out from under my hood during spool probably think my car is either broken or about to explode. Which might be true but hopefully not just yet :)

qft.

After finally installing, I have some data to report. I'm trying to think of a way to actually provide graphed data, which may turn into a phone video and creating a data point every few seconds or so.

Anyway, I ran some very easy drives and checked the IAT's. The following were done on Pennsylvania back roads with few stops and 40-50 mph cruise opportunities.

On a cold morning (37*F), I saw a delta 0-4F with the most frequent delta of 3F.

On a warmer afternoon (70*), I saw delta 2-6F with the most frequent delta of 4F.

Additionally, the warmest temps I saw was a delta 14 (on the warmer day) from a stoplight, which returned to delta 4F within 20-30 seconds.

Lastly, I can promise you these are easy drives because I'm in the midst of an etune session and have been around 20-35% throttle every day for the last week. I'm looking forward to hearing the full effect once I get the green light for some pulls.

After finally installing, I have some data to report. I'm trying to think of a way to actually provide graphed data, which may turn into a phone video and creating a data point every few seconds or so.

Anyway, I ran some very easy drives and checked the IAT's. The following were done on Pennsylvania back roads with few stops and 40-50 mph cruise opportunities.

On a cold morning (37*F), I saw a delta 0-4F with the most frequent delta of 3F.

On a warmer afternoon (70*), I saw delta 2-6F with the most frequent delta of 4F.

Additionally, the warmest temps I saw was a delta 14 (on the warmer day) from a stoplight, which returned to delta 4F within 20-30 seconds.

Lastly, I can promise you these are easy drives because I'm in the midst of an etune session and have been around 20-35% throttle every day for the last week. I'm looking forward to hearing the full effect once I get the green light for some pulls.

So it seems fine on the street(similar to what i found), some data comparing it to the stock intake would be great. Or comparison with the factory inlet tube.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So, I read somewhere maybe here, can't remember. If I use Mobil 1 we should see around 2 more WTQ due to the engineering and refinement of the oil. If you don't get those results, you may have to special order from the auto store where I live.

You can gain power by running lighter weight oil, due to the reduction in viscosity. I wouldnt though, haha.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So it seems fine on the street(similar to what i found), some data comparing it to the stock intake would be great. Or comparison with the factory inlet tube.

If I had more time I'd revert to the stock airbox and do some IAT tests. I have a GM/AEM IAT sensor that's tapped into the underside of my IPR TMIC's end tank. Upon cold start after sitting overnight, the IAT and the car's ambient temp gauge read within 1F of each other.

My morning/evening commutes are very consistent and predictable from a speed and traffic standpoint. Subjectively, it seems that in moderate temps (~60F ambient) and from a mildly heatsoaked condition (IAT ~20F above ambient), the stock airbox results in IAT starting to drop almost immediately after the car is restarted and starts moving again. W/ the GS CAI, the IAT seems to hover at the ~20F above ambient range for about 1/4 mi (25-30 mph speeds, @ 2250-2500 rpm), and then starts to come down at a rate similar to what I've seen w/ the stock airbox. IAT settles to within 8F of ambient after driving about 1-1.25 miles w/ the GS CAI based on what I've been seeing the past couple of weeks.

Question. What would the inlet have to do with IAT that is measured at the MAF sensor, well before the inlet? (Unless aftermarket sensor somewhere else)

This was also my thought. In fact, I wonder if it would be slightly better as something with better flow would have less opportunity for heat transfer. When I say slightly I'm speaking in terms of fractions of a degree.

As barman said, the IAT is measure prior to the inlet so I can't imagine much of an impact.

Start funding me for a science-based auto lab and I'll do it ;)

I'd be interested to compare but I don't want to shell out more for tunes, even if it is in the name of data, and I certainly don't want to unnecessarily stress my engine at 193k.

Step 1: hit the lottery

Step 2: test everything

Question. What would the inlet have to do with IAT that is measured at the MAF sensor, well before the inlet? (Unless aftermarket sensor somewhere else)

This was also my thought. In fact, I wonder if it would be slightly better as something with better flow would have less opportunity for heat transfer. When I say slightly I'm speaking in terms of fractions of a degree.

As barman said, the IAT is measure prior to the inlet so I can't imagine much of an impact.

When he said factory inlet tube, I assume he meant the cold-air duct from the stock airbox (runs from the radiator support to the stock airbox), and not the turbo inlet hose.

Archived