LegacyGT.com

Independent testing of the Grimmspeed Intake

Tuning Alliance

Chase, would you guys consider testing your intake with a hole cut in the airbox to allow the stock snorkel to feed air to it? I mean, if you had a car around and the time to play with it... I want to try this, mostly for the stealth factor, but I don't want to hack that pretty box up just to possibly make things worse.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1*F difference between intake temp and ambient temp. Why would you want to cut up an air box that's works so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stealth.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Chase, would you guys consider testing your intake with a hole cut in the airbox to allow the stock snorkel to feed air to it? I mean, if you had a car around and the time to play with it... I want to try this, mostly for the stealth factor, but I don't want to hack that pretty box up just to possibly make things worse.

Stealth.

I can not stress enough that you can not simply cut a hole to this intake to add the snorkel.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/GRintakewsnorkel.jpg

You certainly could cut a slot in the side of the airbox and get about half of the snorkel outlet into the airbox if you really wanted to. And if you trimmed the snorkel some, then the outlet wouldn't be sitting literally on the intake tube.

If you wanted to make the snorkel fully enclosed the top of the airbox would need to move further to the right. When moved over further to the right, now you'd need to make it taller in order to seal against the intake tube. Once you made it taller, you'd need a separate piece to mount to the two studs on the chassis rail as the box would now be higher than them. And if you wanted to not have to trim the snorkel, and actually be able to get decent airflow to the filter area, you're looking at twisting the intake pipe towards the rear of the car. BUT, when you do that now your filter is touching the wheel well, adding in vibrations that you do no want in your intake tube. So you need to redesign the tube as well.

So with a total redesign of the intake pipe and the airbox, you can get the snorkel to fit and feed the airbox. Now why didn't we just do this in the first place? Well, we did. I've designed that intake, that's how I know what needs to be done to make it happen (people don't realize how tight the clearances are here). However, in testing, we found that using the snorkel was not necessary. This same testing is what other individuals are reporting with IATs <10deg F over ambient. The production design saves cost and complexity, while being just as functional. Unless you are intentionally trying to cripple it, you'll find that IATs are not an issue!

So, unfortunately cutting a hole isn't going to be very stealthy on this setup at all. Being snorkeless, and pealing off the badge on the heatshield will be pretty darn stealthy though ;)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/19/8581ae6974973b13d9439dbf4f38b9eb.jpg

1*F difference between intake temp and ambient temp. Why would you want to cut up an air box that's works so well.

Now that is outstanding. Thanks for taking that picture and posting it up, 1 deg F over ambient is crazy!

Chase

Engineering

I'll cut the nozzle part off the snorkel so it fits over the GS air box, and place the rest there as a 'cover', and de-badge.

It took about 20m to rescale the MAF from GS's suggested 12~13.5%. Very smooth curve up to 4.70MAFv or so.

Holy crap it's loud when you stand on it!

Sent from a device using some software.

I've worked on many GR/GV models with various intakes... K&N Typhoon, ZeroSports short ram, HKS, PW etc. I have to say this is probably louder than all but the short rams. I may switch the oiled filter for a larger paper item.

Sent from a device using some software.

I'll cut the nozzle part off the snorkel so it fits over the GS air box, and place the rest there as a 'cover', and de-badge.

It took about 20m to rescale the MAF from GS's suggested 12~13.5%. Very smooth curve up to 4.70MAFv or so.

Holy crap it's loud when you stand on it!

I really like that idea, if you could snap a picture and post it up when you do so as I'd like to see it.

it sounds like the only time you could benefit from the snrokel is when the car is on a dyno. Sooooo just leave the thing alone, it was designed well. The snorkel is ugly anyway

Yes sir, couldn't have said it better myself ;)

When I finally get around to installing mine I'm going to miss my sticker collection location that the snorkle is. :spin:

Fahr_side does have a really good solution to keep your sticker hall of fame, you know, for nostalgia of all the good times you and the snorkel had together.

For folks that had aftermarket intakes previously, is this one a lot louder?

I've worked on many GR/GV models with various intakes... K&N Typhoon, ZeroSports short ram, HKS, PW etc. I have to say this is probably louder than all but the short rams. I may switch the oiled filter for a larger paper item.

Yeah, it's not that quiet on spool (as you'd expect from the decrease in restriction). 3000rpm on the VF52 is probably one of my favorite sounds in the world with this intake. It's about the same volume as the AEM, but it quieter than the Cobb (even with airbox). Many GR owners switched to this intake specifically because they didnt like how loud their other intakes were, and were happy with the results. So it's nice and quiet under regular driving conditions, but when you ask the turbo to do its thing, there will be no mistaking it.

Fahr, we have dry filters here that are the exact same as the oiled filter, but we just haven't released them (I'm not sure what we're waiting for). So when you do want to make the switch give us a call, and you won't have to search for a filter that fits and has the same venturi.

Chase

Engineering

^^ Will dry vs. wet filter be an at purchase option in the future with all your intakes?

It is a possibility, but from what we've discussed so far it will most likely be an add on option instead of a package unless it becomes extremely popular.

Chase

Engineering

I really like that idea, if you could snap a picture and post it up when you do so as I'd like to see it.

IMG_2982.thumb.jpg.2c946951b0ba1475b7552f8bd6aab9c2.jpg

The snorkel is made in two pieces. You can just chop the little plastic rivets to separate them. The top part will then sit right where you want it. I cut a little rectangle of black EVA foam and stuck that to the bottom of the snorkel so it sits nicely on your air box.

Yeah, it's not that quiet on spool (as you'd expect from the decrease in restriction). 3000rpm on the VF52 is probably one of my favorite sounds in the world with this intake.

I'm running a Blouch 1.5XTR, which might make a bit more noise than the VF-52 ;)

Fahr, we have dry filters here that are the exact same as the oiled filter, but we just haven't released them (I'm not sure what we're waiting for). So when you do want to make the switch give us a call, and you won't have to search for a filter that fits and has the same venturi.

Thanks for the info.

Just got back from EFI. Swapping over from AEM CAI to GS intake alone netted +10whp/-7wtq. 305/357 to 315/350 on a conservative 19.5psi tune with 93oct.

Loss in tq and gain hp, that is odd.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loss in tq and gain hp, that is odd.

I agree, and target boost is same as previous tune (19.5psi), so I was a bit disappointed with that drop in wtq.

From a complete layperson's perspective, there were two differences this time around: 1) SB now has 111k going on 112k miles, so Mikey may have wanted to keep it conservative(?); and 2) The A/F sensor broke last time during my ELH install, so he wasn't able to dial-in his tune entirely. I've been running rich until this past weekend's tune on a working A/F sensor.

Again, complete layperson with regards to tuning parameters so if you have any insights, feel free to chime in. I've been following Max Capacity's thread regarding your (TA) tunes, so I may get in touch for a retune.

MY 1.5XTR sounds incredible through the Grimmspeed CAI, it makes me want to quiet my exhaust so I can focus on spool noises!

A bit in-your-face isn't it?

I agree, and target boost is same as previous tune (19.5psi), so I was a bit disappointed with that drop in wtq.

From a complete layperson's perspective, there were two differences this time around: 1) SB now has 111k going on 112k miles, so Mikey may have wanted to keep it conservative(?); and 2) The A/F sensor broke last time during my ELH install, so he wasn't able to dial-in his tune entirely. I've been running rich until this past weekend's tune on a working A/F sensor.

Again, complete layperson with regards to tuning parameters so if you have any insights, feel free to chime in. I've been following Max Capacity's thread regarding your (TA) tunes, so I may get in touch for a retune.

Yes, likely less timing, more fuel. Let me know if you need anything.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...
Is this a worth while mod to do when upgrading to a bigger turbo? I've already done full turbo back exhaust,cross pipe, intercooler, inlet and aftermaf.

What size is your current turbo and what size turbo will you be getting? What max maf voltage do you currently hit?

When I installed an el header, I ended up with a maxed out maf (with only a vf52 at 18 psi). I was regularly hitting 4.9+ V. A bigger maf was a necessity for me.

What size is your current turbo and what size turbo will you be getting? What max maf voltage do you currently hit?

When I installed an el header, I ended up with a maxed out maf (with only a vf52 at 18 psi). I was regularly hitting 4.9+ V. A bigger maf was a necessity for me.

Currently running the stock VF46 but upgrading to the BNR 16G with injectors. As for MafV, the last log I did showed an average of 4.44V from around 5200 to redline.

Is this a worth while mod to do when upgrading to a bigger turbo? I've already done full turbo back exhaust,cross pipe, intercooler, inlet and aftermaf.

I built 1 psi additional over my whole RPM range when in boost, and hit boost earlier with this intake on the stock turbo with the same exact tune and only 10% MAF scaling. That would suggest even more could be gained with a larger turbo. Think about if you could suddenly breathe more deeply, but you could only inhale through a straw. Sure... that's exaggerated, but there are gains to be had if properly tuned.

Here's a good thread over on NASIOC where this was independently tested.

Archived