LegacyGT.com

Perrin Steering Damper Lockdown

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
May I point out that having my Si-Drive in Sports # makes my steering lighter than in Sports or Intelligent

Keep rubbing it in! Lol, I guess subaru can still build a fun car they just sell it every where but here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

May I point out that having my Si-Drive in Sports # makes my steering lighter than in Sports or Intelligent

isn't that a little backwards? usually sportier cars have heavier steering

I took a look at it the other day. I think I could access it better from the top than the bottom.

Would you consider this a good mod for everyday driving? I'm in total agreement of the steering.

There is way way better access from the bottom Read my post about it. Being able to see the bolts is very different than being able to reach it with tools. It was dead simple from the bottom and I'd recommend no other way. The bottom knuckle bolt is accessed through the wheel well with a foot and a half of socket extensions, right above the subframe, a spot impossible the reach from above.

I did it with the front on jackstands and the rear on ramps.

Trust me, I am super lazy.

You don't need to pull the intercooler, no brake lines in the way, no fuel lines in the way, and easy access with hand tools.

On your second point - this mod is BEST for every day driving. That's where it will matter the most. It affects on-center feel more than anything. Once the steering is loaded up and the damper is compressed there is no difference. It's with the small movements, especially on center that this makes all the difference.

It requires less effort to steer the car so I assume that would make it "Lighter"

yes easier to turn means lighter, but usually sportier cars have heavier steering because it gives better feed back. the sportiest a steering setup can be is to be entirely manual with a quick rack, but they don't really sell unassisted steering anymore because cars are heavy and people are weak.

Thought they were close to $80?

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

They list for about $80. I picked it up from Ultrarev.com for $64.95 with shipping. I have found with other Perrin products that they can usually be picked up a little cheaper than list if you do a quick search on the part number.

Perrin has a site-wide sale going on now (or did yesterday, at least), 10+% off everything.

edit: guess that sale ended, apologies if I falsely enabled anyone.

Gotta decide if it's worth it to buy now, or wait until I replace my LCA bushings. I know the left one is torn, saw that one when I swapped wheels last night. Think the right one was fine as of whenever I put on my winters. If only I could remember to look at both at once...

They list for about $80. I picked it up from Ultrarev.com for $64.95 with shipping. I have found with other Perrin products that they can usually be picked up a little cheaper than list if you do a quick search on the part number.

I ordered mine from ultrarev on friday and it showed up today. Installed it in 20 min.

On the 3.6 you cant get to it from below because the cat blocks your access. If you remove the engine cover and turn the wheel slightly to the right, you have a straight shot at it if you have a foot long ratchet extension.

This is definitely worth $65. The wandering on the highway is greatly reduced, maybe even gone. The larger front/rear sway bar, and billstein/black suspension bits didnt do much to reduce the wandering. Wasnt able to drive it long enough tonight to fully assess it though. Ill see how it does on the drive to work tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I just got mine today and installed it. Took longer than I thought it would. There's not a lot of room to work with from the top, with all the hoses in the way but it's manageable. I was only able to loosen the top bolt of the steering joint. The bottom one is beneath the engine mount on my car and I don't see any way of getting to it from either the top or bottom. Once you get the first bolt in it's a breeze.

I haven't gotten to the highway yet but just driving around town it's a nice difference in steering response. Not much NVH that I can feel, you're just getting more wheel feedback from bumps in the road. I think once the sway bars are in this will compliment it nicely.

Archived