LegacyGT.com

Perrin Steering Damper Lockdown

I turned the 70mm bolt about half way in, then backed it out and wiggled the lockdown halves, then tightened it all the way and the remaining amount went a little easier. The ends of the halves are 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch apart. They are not required to touch eachother per the instructions, each half is just supposed to sit tight up against the universal joint.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The sacraficial 70mm screw grabbed no problem, but even with the 60mm in place and threaded in, it only goes in 80-90%. Instruction say torque to 10-12ftlbf only but it can easily handle 2-4× more. Same for the 12mm bolts.

It's been several months, but the only torque figure I recall seeing is for the bolts on the rack itself. I don't recall any torque figures for the bolt on the dampener. It just needed to be tight enough to ensure the two pieces are snug. Is this a new change in the instructions?

The instructions stated 10 ft/lbs (I did 14 ft/lbs) for the M6x60 allen bolt included with the kit WITH the LocTite included. It also stated the coupler bolts to the rack and steering column were to be torqued to 17.4 ft/lbs.

The instructions stated 10 ft/lbs (I did 14 ft/lbs) for the M6x60 allen bolt included with the kit WITH the LocTite included. It also stated the coupler bolts to the rack and steering column were to be torqued to 17.4 ft/lbs.

Yup, I recall the 17.4 ft/lbs on the rack bolts. The 10 ft/lbs on the M6 is new. I haven't inspected my lockdown in a while, so maybe I'll do that and check to see what it is torqued at. I'm probably well north of 14 ft/lbs if I had to guess.

The M6 bolt may be able to take 50-80, but remember that it's threaded into the aluminum of the lockdown. I wouldn't go any more than 20. The coupler bolts are a different story because they thread into steel.

Very true - you will strip those aluminum threads out well before you can hit 50 ft-lbs. Easy does it on those bolts!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For the 3.6Rs who installed earlier, did you notice that unlike on the LGT and many other scoobies, the lockdown doesnt fully clamp around on our cars because of these protrusions in the center of the cross section?

Forgot to make a second reply to this. I was under the hood a few weeks ago and noticed my Perrin kit loosening up, so I loosened up the steering joint bolts once again and retorqued it down, using a ratchet and an allen key adapter this time. I guess I was wrong. They don't touch together on mine either. Although, it doesn't seem to have moved since then.

They should get pretty darn close to touching, maybe 1/16" gap on both sides. Perscitus (and anyone else with the same gap, see his pic with the red arrow), the next time you feel like messing with it, pull one side out at a time (so it doesn't spring loose on you) and grease them up, they'll pull together much easier. I had a gap to one side like you have, couldn't get it to pull in straight no matter how many tools I MacGyvered together or how much I cussed, and I was able to finish the install with no gap using only the included allen key.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Many of the GTs didn't come with the shield you speak of even though there are bolt holes already in place. I ended up putting one on at around 40k miles since it was a cheap part and easy to install.

My GT has no shield. Do you recall the part number?

GTeaser had a mod list. This was on there. Was it priority list or ?? I'm thinking RSB , clutch valve delete and leds first

Read the header on the list, it was originally a response to a guy who wanted his first mod to be a catback. I was showing him all the things that were more important for the enjoyment of the car that could be purchased with the money he wanted to spend on a catback. It's in the Performance mods sticky.

GTeaser had a mod list. This was on there. Was it priority list or ?? I'm thinking RSB , clutch valve delete and leds first

that's a perfect start, get that Clutch damper out of there asap, your clutch and your right foot will thank you.

that's a perfect start, get that Clutch damper out of there asap, your clutch and your right foot will thank you.

I was hoping the dealer would do this, but they won't. they see it as hacking the car I guess.

Not sure I trust a goodyear or firestone shop to remove my tmic and put it back with no leaks. I suppose I could just test the fittings after them, but..

Anyways. too bad the STI solid steering shaft doesn't fit our car, that'd be the ultimate fix. For now, i'm good with the steering. Just feel a need for straight line speed.

• 4 months later...

Archived