LegacyGT.com

Perrin Steering Damper Lockdown

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had some really notchy steering in my outback a few years back, I ended up replacing the whole U-joint and that fixed the problem. If only these were around back then I could've saved a few hundred bucks. I'm having a really hard time resisting the urge to buy one of these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
IF you have the ability to get under the car and loosen the rack, the STi steering linkage would be a better solution to the problem in my opinion. Granted, most people aren't going to be able to do that, so props to Perrin for a solution for fills the need for 98% of the market, that's what makes a good product.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6088/6160339125_350e41bdf8_z.jpg

So the best I can tell, this option will not work for the Legacy. Thanks to wrxwhit measuring his as being 10.25" long after he replaced it because of a binding issue in the u-joints, and a seller on NASIOC who was parting out a wrecked 2015 STi and measuring his at 9.0", the difference is too big. Maybe the 2008-2014 STi will be longer and fit since the 2015 STi part doesn't cross reference to earlier STi's. Just wanted to save this info for future reference.

So the best I can tell, this option will not work for the Legacy. Thanks to wrxwhit measuring his as being 10.25" long after he replaced it because of a binding issue in the u-joints, and a seller on NASIOC who was parting out a wrecked 2015 STi and measuring his at 9.0", the difference is too big. Maybe the 2008-2014 STi will be longer and fit since the 2015 STi part doesn't cross reference to earlier STi's. Just wanted to save this info for future reference.

Thanks Joe, next step is to get measurements on an earlier model. I'm on it.

Do you guys think I should do this first or 20mm RSB? Hopefully getting my 14 2.5 Premium next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have the damper yet, but I do have the 20mm RSB, and I always thought the RSB was the best bang for my buck.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Do you guys think I should do this first or 20mm RSB? Hopefully getting my 14 2.5 Premium next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RSB! The steering isn't terrible but the rear body roll is. And if your getting a MT then the shift stop and SSA/brass bushing (depending on which SSA you go with) are #2-3 IMO.

RSB! The steering isn't terrible but the rear body roll is. And if your getting a MT then the shift stop and SSA/brass bushing (depending on which SSA you go with) are #2-3 IMO.

I'm just missing the SSA, was thinking Perrin. Other suggestions?

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Note the boomba cause you to ditch the "shield" so it will be exposed. At least that's what the WRX guys complain about. There's also Kartboy ' s which comes with a bearing and Tourqe Solutions has one now but last I checked there's not photos.

Many of the GTs didn't come with the shield you speak of even though there are bolt holes already in place. I ended up putting one on at around 40k miles since it was a cheap part and easy to install.

That's what I was thinking from what install pics I've seen. Obviously I've not pulled the trigger myself but I'm considering the TS unit just to see if it's worth it being $90 vs the rest at $100+. I'm ok with taking a chance to better our 5th gen parts list, and if it just sucks I can send it back or sell it to someone. I haven't seen any terrible reviews of thier products so we will see, plus it says that it's weighted so I'm expecting it to hopefully be something between the KB and boomba units. But first I got more pricey maintenance stuff to handle which is the only reason I've not done and "modding" besides the RSB I put in last week, of course Frederick offered such a good deal on it I had to go for it.

Btw I haven't forgot about the LGT badge I've just had a lot going on and not had time to mess with the laser lately. I'll be in touch over the weekend.

So confirmed, the 2012 STI solid steering joint will also NOT fit our application. Measured roughly about 8 3/4" where we need 10 1/4". Just not long enough just as TEASE stated.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160225/5aa2aac1c51f087c81312deadc7b40f1.jpg

Archived