LegacyGT.com

Perrin Steering Damper Lockdown

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many of the GTs didn't come with the shield you speak of even though there are bolt holes already in place. I ended up putting one on at around 40k miles since it was a cheap part and easy to install.

I didn't have the shield either

RSB! The steering isn't terrible but the rear body roll is. And if your getting a MT then the shift stop and SSA/brass bushing (depending on which SSA you go with) are #2-3 IMO.

have you done this steering lockdown mod?

I'll agree on a sway bar, but not shifter mods. Seriously this an awesome mod. It actually makes a seriously big difference to the way the car handles in normal everyday driving, including cruising down the highway.

What do you use more? ;)

So the best I can tell, this option will not work for the Legacy. Thanks to wrxwhit measuring his as being 10.25" long after he replaced it because of a binding issue in the u-joints, and a seller on NASIOC who was parting out a wrecked 2015 STi and measuring his at 9.0", the difference is too big. Maybe the 2008-2014 STi will be longer and fit since the 2015 STi part doesn't cross reference to earlier STi's. Just wanted to save this info for future reference.

Is the longer length needed specific to the 2010-2014 model years? Are you aware if any of the model year STI Solid linkages will work on a 2005 LGT? I've got a 2005 and want to tighten up steering response.

In Underdog's STI steering rack swap thread there is a picture of a 2005 LGT linkage next to a 2015 STI linkage and they look similar length.

While the nice solution is the solid linkage, I am wondering if I should just do the lock down to avoid getting into it only to realize the STI linkage won't work

While the nice solution is the solid linkage, I am wondering if I should just do the lock down to avoid getting into it only to realize the STI linkage won't work

Probably. There is really no downside. It's not like there are parts that will wear out or something. Plus less work.

I don't disagree with it being an awesome cheap mod by any means. But as for necessity mods I see things that fix issues first, then going to the mods that enhance. I would honestly say do them all at once lol.

While I agree, I respectfully disagree that this doesn't fix an "issue". I don't see how the OEM sway bar is more of an issue than the steering bushing slop.

Same goes for the front lower control arm vertical bushings.

I was gonna ask, since you have both- would you say replacing the LCA bushings does more to cut down on "wandering" in a crosswind at highway speeds than the lockdown would? I would think so, since the lockdown goes into the steering system upstream of the rack, and that section of the steering shaft should be held in place by the power steering system until the wheel is turned.

LCA bushings all the way. I only replaced one, actually, and even that made a huge difference. I need a non-offset one for the other side, which I don't currently have.

And don't change the front/horizontal one since that can cause a tonne of NVH and doesn't offer much benefit.

While I agree, I respectfully disagree that this doesn't fix an "issue". I don't see how the OEM sway bar is more of an issue than the steering bushing slop.

Same goes for the front lower control arm vertical bushings.

Well I'm just used to old vehicles my previous DD vehicle was a 94 Mazda B4000 4wd which was the newest, till now, vehicle I've ever driven. So this "slop" you speak of is something I'm way accustomed to and do npt notice. However this lock down is on the list after I take care of a few big maintenance items. Then I'll see what all the fuss is about.

I feel you on that one. Just moving to a newer vehicle was enough of an improvement in steering feel (for now, I've definitely noticed the vagueness now that I know to look for it), but getting blown around like I'm driving a semi is new to me as well, and a little more distressing.

I can't say that the steering is much a concern to me either, I turn the wheels the car goes that way...the RSB was an issue especially with the crosswinds on our long flat roads and going slightly over the speed limit just exacerbates things. I would venture to guess most of us have only ever driven cars with vague steering feedback anyway. Although my 03 forester had a good tight steering to it.

I installed this yesterday from under the car. Super easy. Took maybe half an hour and I took my time.

There must be a ton more room to access from below on the GT. I took a quick peek on my 3.6 while replacing an air/fuel sensor, and you would need a baby arm to reach up in there.

Anyone with a 3.6 installed this??

There must be a ton more room to access from below on the GT. I took a quick peek on my 3.6 while replacing an air/fuel sensor, and you would need a baby arm to reach up in there.

Anyone with a 3.6 installed this??

Since the position of the front axle and transmission is the same in all Legacys regardless of engine/tranny combo, I would suspect the access would be the same.

I took a look at it the other day. I think I could access it better from the top than the bottom. Same goes for all the sparkplugs. The top bolt on the steering joint is easy to get to. The bottom one looks a little tricky.

Would you consider this a good mod for everyday driving? I'm in total agreement of the steering. After driving a Ford Focus and a VW Jetta before getting this car, to me it feels like trying to steer a barge sometimes.

Would you consider this a good mod for everyday driving? I'm in total agreement of the steering. After driving a Ford Focus and a VW Jetta before getting this car, to me it feels like trying to steer a barge sometimes.

It's perfectly fine for daily driving. My LGT is my daily, and I'm still pretty happy with the lockdown.

Archived