LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 05-09 LGT Intake - Any Interest?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

up pipe, downpipe, full exhaust, grimmspeed intercooler and EBCS. OEM turbo with fresh rebuild.

other than that, lots of suspension and brakes.

I could suck start a snow blower.

The prop rod bracket where it pivots, rubs against the top plate of the cobb airbox and the 4th top plate screw nearest the prop rod wont line up due to the tight fit on the top plate.

See that's interesting, I didn't know that. But now that I've looked into it, I see that there are more than a few threads about it.

With that said, I know that that won't be an issue with out heatshield because the "roof" of it, sits below those two mounting studs, well clear of the hood prop.

Great news that it will not be an issue - but just in case, I would like to suggest developing some GrimmSpeed Legacy GT Hood Struts! ;)

I'm excited to learn more about the intake - performance, stealthiness, and I can then install my tool tray!

Eric

GrimmSpeed, I was messing with my stock intake & maf sensor (05 LGT) this weekend and it has a lot metal around the two mounting screws. I'm kind of worried that our MAF's might actually be grounded through the mounting bolts.

Thus waiting to hear back your results :).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Measured my stock intake and my K&N too this morning. Confirming the K&N is 65mm ID exactly (68.5mm OD). Stock MAF housing is 70.18mm ID, now what I found interesting is stock inlet being only 64.49mm ID. Which makes even more sense on why K&N decided to just use a smaller pipe.

This also means there should be at least something to gain going with 3" OD inlet mated to your intake :).

My brain didn't even register lack of a second weld on the legacy prototype. Are the WRX production ones also with one weld or still with two? If with two, finally we get something better then them :lol:.

Also the second picture of red definitely looks much better :)

Trying to patiently wait for the results! :) What year Legacy are you testing it on?

Yep, the K&N definitely uses the small diameter pipe in order to not be too lean without a tune. Same with a few other intakes as well, as it's a common strategy. Not exactly what you want when you're trying to decrease restriction :p

All of our current intakes will be headed to single piece pipes, so none with have that weld. I don't know if the weldless version of the WRX pipes have shipped yet, but I wouldn't doubt it. The change is negligible as far as performance goes, just looks a little better really.

I'm interested in the group buy. Shoot us a link and take my money!

I'll try and get some more info soon about when the group buy is. Typically we don't do the group buy until we have everything packaged up and ready to go, and these are still in the welding queue I believe.

Also interested in a group buy. Please PM when available!!

We're getting there!

Possible to get a ceramic coated version?

No, unfortunately not. For simplicity sake, as well as space saving, we only offer our intakes in the two colors.

Just DEI gold wrap it ;)

And DEI tape is more effective I believe ;)

I want it lol

And I want you to have one!

Interested for my SpecB. She needs a little more power and better air flow

I could not agree with you more. ;)

Subscribed for more info on the group buy. Consider me sold!

Outstanding! Thank you very much

Great news that it will not be an issue - but just in case, I would like to suggest developing some GrimmSpeed Legacy GT Hood Struts! ;)

I'm excited to learn more about the intake - performance, stealthiness, and I can then install my tool tray!

Eric

You know, that might be something that I take a look at as far as development again. I had tested our hood struts for our GD chassis on an LGT before, and I really liked how much more it opened up the hood (just like on the GD, it opens to a 90 degree angle). However, because of the different design of the hinges, the hood wouldn't close. The more I looked into it, the less confident I was that I could come up with a design that still could achieve that 90 degree opening angle, and still be able to close the hood. It might be something we take another look at in the future though!

And so much yes! I love that tool tray, makes life so much easier when you're doing work.

GrimmSpeed, I was messing with my stock intake & maf sensor (05 LGT) this weekend and it has a lot metal around the two mounting screws. I'm kind of worried that our MAF's might actually be grounded through the mounting bolts.

Thus waiting to hear back your results :).

Correct-a-mundo. On almost all, if not all (unconfirmed) these MAF sensors are grounded through the ears. You can test it yourself for continuity with a multimeter. Very rarely, some people have had idle stumbles or weird MAF readings when using metal intakes because it effectively turns the intake into a big antenna for EMF. However, like I said, the problem is very rare, and is easily remedied by isolating the mounting screws and MAF from the stand offs. Something as simple as cutting small pieces of electrical tape and placing them over the stand offs on the MAF flange, as well as the ears on the MAF sensor itself just to make sure the bolt doesn't isn't successfully grounding the bolt to the pipe. Easy to test with the intake off the car too as long as you have a multimeter. There are many ways to achieve that goal, but really only something to worry about if you have strange hesitations or stumbles. Like I said, there is a reason why you have not heard about this before, and that's because the effect is rare/minimal in almost all cases.

I'm waiting on our tuner to upload the testing results for us, and I'll be able to report what we saw. Testing went well, and we did something that people have asked for, but no company ever really wants to show. Pretty cool, albeit predictable results, but I'm still excited to show what we saw on Saturday morning!

Chase

Engineering

Do you know, from an technical standpoint, on why Subaru would ground the MAF through the ears if it's going into a plastic housing anyway? Basically why waste the extra metal, ear reinforcement?

22 Ascent STOCK

Do you know, from an technical standpoint, on why Subaru would ground the MAF through the ears if it's going into a plastic housing anyway? Basically why waste the extra metal, ear reinforcement?

Most likely just because that is the particular MAF they chose to use. I'm sure to them it was an "off the shelf" choice for their engineers as opposed to something that they custom spec'd. I could be wrong, but I bet I'm not on this one. This is the reason why you see the same MAF sensors on different brands of cars as well.

Chase

Engineering

I can say that the intake makes fun "PSHHHH" noises :D

Needs the black coating though. The airbox stays nice and cool but the uncoated pipe gets really hot.

I could suck start a snow blower.

In for updates. May get on this group buy as I was not in a position during the intercooler group buy

I hope you have a chance to! As far as the intercooler, you can always pick them up cheaper through one of our distributors such as RallySportDirect. It won't be as cheap as the groupbuy, but it's close.

Taking your time to make the graphs look all pretty colors and such, right?

Ha, I wish! No, I'm just waiting on the tuner to send me the files. I physically don't have to do anything besides upload the images at that point. He's a very busy guy though, and we made him go into work on what might have been one of the hottest and humid Saturdays this year (I know derp and I were dying), so he might be balking based on that fact alone :p

The dyno results themselves are not gigantic power gains like what we showed before about "Intakes and OTS tunes vs Intakes and Protunes." This time the tuner protuned Derp's car on the stock airbox. We then swapped on the GrimmSpeed intake. Applied the same 12% MAF scale, and picked up something like 10ftlbs and 5hp at the wheels. Same exact tune, and same AFRs (scary similar actually). I have all kinds of cool things to report, but am really waiting until we get the charts. But I was really excited to do what everyone asks to see, but no manufacturers ever show because the gains aren't "ZOMG 90hp," and are instead a real apples to apples comparison showing what exactly is going on. I'll hold off for now, even though I really don't want to!

I can say that the intake makes fun "PSHHHH" noises :D

Needs the black coating though. The airbox stays nice and cool but the uncoated pipe gets really hot.

Who doesn't love fun noises? And I bet the car is a little more fun with quicker spool and 25+ more horsepowa ;)

I was surprised a few years ago that the coating really did help that much, especially with the slight increase in surface area from the wrinkle.

Chase

Engineering

So... I want to use this with an AVO 3" turbo inlet. Will I need a custom adapter for this to work? Can I get a custom post MAF tube from you guys (obviously willing to pay extra...).

Thanks! Pic for reference the AVO inlet is huge.

image.thumb.jpg.62fb9919fadfcfbbf8cc338484da493d.jpg

So... I want to use this with an AVO 3" turbo inlet. Will I need a custom adapter for this to work? Can I get a custom post MAF tube from you guys (obviously willing to pay extra...).

Thanks! Pic for reference the AVO inlet is huge.

Chase has said, in the Nasioc thread, that you will just need to get a regular 3" to 3" adapter (since theirs is meant for the stock 2.75" inlet) and you should be good to go. I would definitely measure the GS intake size and inlet size just to make sure though.

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived