LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 05-09 LGT Intake - Any Interest?

So track that tuner down and show us!!! Way to excited to spend money on this lol!

He got back to me today, so pending he doesn't forget again I should have it soon ;)

I am interested in a intake for my 07!spec b. I love grimmspeed products and want not aware that they made one for the leggy!

That is because we didn't make one for the leggy, but now we do! Pay attention and you can expect a group buy soon.

Eagerly waiting.... :)

That's what I like to hear. And it will not go unrewarded!

So... I want to use this with an AVO 3" turbo inlet. Will I need a custom adapter for this to work? Can I get a custom post MAF tube from you guys (obviously willing to pay extra...).

Thanks! Pic for reference the AVO inlet is huge.

Chase has said, in the Nasioc thread, that you will just need to get a regular 3" to 3" adapter (since theirs is meant for the stock 2.75" inlet) and you should be good to go. I would definitely measure the GS intake size and inlet size just to make sure though.

Boom. This^

Now I'm not AVO expert, but I'm fairly certain that the 3in portion only refers to the inlet of the turbo, and that the portion going from the intake to the inlet is still made to fit 2.75in. That way it fits with stock intake, and thus almost any other intake you can buy. I don't know if the metal part on the avo inlet (not shown) where the intake clamps to comes in different sizes, or what though. Either way, it'll fit anything that can fit a stock intake.

Ahh excellent! Nevermind then. Hurry it up fellas. I got a big turbo that needs to go in!

Working on it! In the meantime put that big turbo in, the intake takes about 12 minutes to install, the turbo takes a few more than that :p

Chase

Engineering

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working on it! In the meantime put that big turbo in, the intake takes about 12 minutes to install, the turbo takes a few more than that :p

Chase

Engineering

I'll try to be patient! Just can't wait to add this to my other excellent Grimmspeed parts! I must be close to putting an engineers kid through college.

Also the AVO inlet is 3" in diameter on both ends, I'll find the adapter piece I'm sure and make it work.

Thank you for your continued support of the 4th Gen legacy platform. We really appreciate it!

From the looks of this, yours probably came with a reducing adapter to 2.75, which would create a bottleneck with GS intake. Measure the ID of your AVO inlet, hopefully it's just 3" ID, will make your life much easier if it is.

If the GS intake is long enough and you can bend the avo inlet a little, you might be able to just connect the GS intake straight into the inlet. Otherwise get like ~3" long aluminum intercooler pipe and a 3" to 3" coupler. You might be able to find those parts cheaper elsewhere, just a suggestion on what to look for. :)

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Crushing it today Covert! Inlet is 3" ID. I emailed AVO about getting the reducer supplied with the inlet. Got a response and said cool when can I pick it up (they are local and I got the inlet locally through them). Didn't hear back (yet and they have always been awesome) and was hoping to actually not have to reduce and restrict but I think what you posted should do the trick. Thanks!

Here in Illinois our emissions consist of plugging an OBD plug in to read codes. I chug in with my almost catless exhaust, obviously stink up the place, and drive away with a passing grade. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I'll try to be patient! Just can't wait to add this to my other excellent Grimmspeed parts! I must be close to putting an engineers kid through college.

Also the AVO inlet is 3" in diameter on both ends, I'll find the adapter piece I'm sure and make it work.

Thank you for your continued support of the 4th Gen legacy platform. We really appreciate it!

HA! Luckily I don't have kids to put through college, I'm still paying for my own :p And you're very much welcome. We love Subarus, we love Leggys, and we love Legacy people! But most of all, we like high quality, effective parts. So no thank you necessary ;)

From the looks of this, yours probably came with a reducing adapter to 2.75, which would create a bottleneck with GS intake. Measure the ID of your AVO inlet, hopefully it's just 3" ID, will make your life much easier if it is.

If the GS intake is long enough and you can bend the avo inlet a little, you might be able to just connect the GS intake straight into the inlet. Otherwise get like ~3" long aluminum intercooler pipe and a 3" to 3" coupler. You might be able to find those parts cheaper elsewhere, just a suggestion on what to look for. :)

Yep, I do not think that you'll be able to get the turbo inlet to mate to the intake, as it is designed to be about an inch and a half away from the turbo inlet to allow our hump hose coupler to do its job as a flex section.

If it were me I wouldn't bother with jumping through the extra hoops, and I'd just use the supplier intake coupler, and the reducer that comes with the AVO kit. The reduction in diameter is only for about an inch and change, and will have a very small effect on the overall restriction of the system.

BUT if you must be awesome, and I don't blame you for being awesome, just buy a 3in diameter length of pipe (i bet you only need 3-4 inches) and use that as the metal coupler in the AVO inlet. Then I'd try to purchase a 3in hump hose coupler if possible, and only settle on a straight one if you can't find anything.

The motor moves quite a bit, and even though the intake is supported by the heatshield and vibration isolated by the rubber gasket material, it really only allows for a total of about 3/4in of movement. In most cases that's going to be just fine, but the hump hose coupler adds a little extra degree of flex and protection. But also, the silicone inlet is fairly flexible, so I bet you could get away with murder and a straight coupler. That's why you're safe either way, but this is why we supply hump hose couplers.

Maybe that's more info than anyone needed...

I'd better sell my existing intake asap, before word gets out.

I mean.... it wouldn't hurt :p

Chase

Engineering

I was wondering on why you guys used a hump hose coupler, since they do create some turbulence (a lot of people advice not to run more then 2 hump hose couplers on intercooler piping). Engine movement is a good reason to have some flexibility though.

Is the GS intake bolted down to the chassis someplace inside the airbox, or is it kept in place by laying on top of the air boxes hole?

IMO if you spent the money on a 3" inlet, just spend the $10 to make it 3" all the way through instead of having 3" - 2.75" - 3". But who knows it might just have a reverse megaphone effect on the intake :lol:.

22 Ascent STOCK

I was wondering on why you guys used a hump hose coupler, since they do create some turbulence (a lot of people advice not to run more then 2 hump hose couplers on intercooler piping). Engine movement is a good reason to have some flexibility though.

Is the GS intake bolted down to the chassis someplace inside the airbox, or is it kept in place by laying on top of the air boxes hole?

IMO if you spent the money on a 3" inlet, just spend the $10 to make it 3" all the way through instead of having 3" - 2.75" - 3". But who knows it might just have a reverse megaphone effect on the intake :lol:.

Yeah, whenever I read "rules of thumb" like that it always makes me chuckle a little, especially when its regarding turbulence. When people talk about laminar flow across the MAF sensor at WOT, I know that they have no idea that the flow is magnitudes over the Reynolds number. When it says that in a companies marketing material, it is absolutely infuriating.

And even better, when we're talking about pressurized air, there is no laminar flow, it's all turbulent. Sure, hump hose couplers do affect the flow, but it's minimal and it's certainly not like the difference is laminar vs turbulent flow.

I would take the very very minimal effects of a hump hose coupler any day over the effects of not having one. Which is potential hardware damage. Been tracking down a boost leak for two weeks and it ends up in a torn straight hose coupler that you can't see? Happens all the time, and it's not fun.

Same argument occurs when people insist on having 3in straight through exhaust. The neck down at the doughnut gasket is brief, and far enough from the turbo that it really has a little to no effect. However, it provides a vital pivot point if there is no flex section in the midpipe. And i can tell you that I'd much rather have that small brief "restriction" than a broken downpipe any day.

Again, this really has nothing to do with anything, but it's always fun to talk about internet car forum myths. And how it's easy to make bigger mistakes when you're chasing after minimal "gains." Especially when there is no real data to back up the majority of the claims.

Chase

Engineering

It's one thing to have it infront of the MAF, but past it doesn't really matter like you said. I did wonder why it would even matter on pressurized side (I used to run a couple of them simply because I couldn't make the tight bends otherwise). Whats funny is it was the company that sells them that was advising against too many of them (which is odd because they cost more so you would think they would want you to buy more).

I personally like consistency in intake and exhaust pipes, part of it is to reduce the unique parts list (I have a ton of 2.5" couplers and a few 3" couplers, but had just one 3" to 2.75", if it rips I'm down until new one arrives, but if I just use a 3" one on the inlet, it rips got a spare one handy).

22 Ascent STOCK

A couple questions from your first post, Mr. Grimm:

"The main information to take away from this graph is that even with our heavy effort on being able to use this intake without a tune, we were unsuccessful."

Did you make any comprises in targeting the intake not requiring a tune that in hindsight you would have skipped. Or rather, if "being able to use this intake without a tune" was not a goal from the beginning, do you think you could have achieved a higher performance end product?

"the MAF still needs to be scaled to accommodate for the additional flow"

How was the 12% scaling number determined? Calculation? SWAG then iterated?

"but is substantially easier to scale than other intakes"

Easy enough that this scaling can be applied to the OTS map and made available for download for people to use before they are ready to do a full blown tune? Is this 12% number likely to be significantly different on similarly equipped cars?. Forgive my newb questioning, but I keep coming neck to the 12% number.

Thanks!

"The main information to take away from this graph is that even with our heavy effort on being able to use this intake without a tune, we were unsuccessful."

Did you make any comprises in targeting the intake not requiring a tune that in hindsight you would have skipped. Or rather, if "being able to use this intake without a tune" was not a goal from the beginning, do you think you could have achieved a higher performance end product?

I think what he means by that is, even though they utilized the same designs concepts as OEM (MAF placement, MAF tube diameter, airflow straightner), the added airflow still requires a retune.

Easy enough that this scaling can be applied to the OTS map and made available for download for people to use before they are ready to do a full blown tune? Is this 12% number likely to be significantly different on similarly equipped cars?. Forgive my newb questioning, but I keep coming neck to the 12% number.

Thanks!

Their tuner was able to determine that the intake was causing 12% leaner AFR's, thus they added 12% to MAF Scaling to compensate for this. You can find the full details in this Nasioc post.

I know I must sound like GS is paying me to say good things about their intake, but this is seriously one of the most well engineered intakes on the market and it shows with power gains and ease of tuning. Heck I might not be able to even get one due to baby expenses, priorities right? :lol:

22 Ascent STOCK

Definitely in for this.

Excellent, thanks for the support!

Thanks!

Mr. Grimm doesn't post so much anymore, but I believe I can handle these questions :p

That's a damn good question btw. The only real "compromise" that I would say we made was matching the stock MAF diameter for the leading pipe. We really could have used any pipe size in the world, since it the intake requires a retune anyway. HOWEVER, I would argue that there is a massive advantage in matching the AFR curve in using the stock MAF diameter (less complex scaling, easier tuning). This to us is far more advantageous than a very small decrease in restriction from a slight bump in internal diameter. And decreasing the diameter to make an intake "compatible with no tune" like so many other companies do, was simply unacceptable to us. It's like one step forward, and one step back, you pretty much end up in the same place as you started.

I think the quote "being able to use this intake without a tune" while not taken out of context, is oversimplified as the original ideology was to create an intake whose major MAF features emulated the original OEM airbox to the point that a tune would not be necessary. It's just saying that even with our best efforts, it seems to be a pipe dream as the decrease in restriction before the turbo makes this a requirement.

But, if our goal was simply to be "able to use this intake without a tune" it would have been easy enough to just neuter it by decreasing the diameter of the MAF tube to artificially richen the mixture. That would have been a sacrifice in our eyes.

So no, there is nothing that I'd change, and nothing I'd consider to be sacrificed on the design. If there were, I'd change it and release that product instead. As I said before, damn good question.

The 12% number, as covert mentioned and linked to (check it out, some good and more comprehensive info in that thread) was arrived at by our tuner with at the dyno. It's not a hypothetical number that we calculated, it's a value that was arrived at when viewing the differences between one run and another on the AFR charts, and then paying attention to the fuel learning numbers in datalogs. Now this was the number determined on our WRX, same size MAF tube, different MAF sensor.

When doing LGT testing our tuner ended up with the exact same MAF scale value, 12%. I don't know why I was surprised as the designs are identical, but for some reason I assumed the different MAF sensors would affect the scale. It really is impressive when you look at how spot on the AFR curves are between stock airbox, and our intake with this MAF scale.

Speaking of which, I now have the dyno data, but for some reason it will not upload to my viewer :( I'm working on it though! Hopefully we'll have some charts soon.

Put me on the group buy list please.

When the group buy begins be sure to post up in that, and we can get you in on it! This is just an interest thread, not ready for the GB just yet.

I think what he means by that is, even though they utilized the same designs concepts as OEM (MAF placement, MAF tube diameter, airflow straightner), the added airflow still requires a retune.

Their tuner was able to determine that the intake was causing 12% leaner AFR's, thus they added 12% to MAF Scaling to compensate for this. You can find the full details in this Nasioc post.

I know I must sound like GS is paying me to say good things about their intake, but this is seriously one of the most well engineered intakes on the market and it shows with power gains and ease of tuning. Heck I might not be able to even get one due to baby expenses, priorities right? :lol:

Thanks again sir, we always appreciate the kind words, and you know that we work hard to achieve our goal sets. Now stop having babies and buy more cars! :p

Chase

Engineering

Any interest? Yes. Yes there is.

Your interest interests me.

Are the intake tubes out for powdercoating with the WRX tubes?

They are not, they are next up for welding I do believe, then they'll be off for powdercoating. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was the LGT intake. I would consider them similar feats :p

Chase

Engineering

• I Donated Too

Chase-

Any chance you've got some initial release units, or a prototype or two kicking around? I'm trying to get tuned with my new grimmspeed EWG and tmic setup in the next couple weeks, been on wastegate pressure since I got my car running again in June and it's killing me. Help?!?!

Archived