LegacyGT.com

Who's been here 10+ years?

BDII

• 2 years later...

15 years on the forum coming up in June..

If I could have any amount of time back in life, like all the time I spent driving or all the time I spent in classes, my time spent reading on this forum would likely be in the top five. 

• Haha 3

Still subscribed, but haven't had an LGT for 3.5 years now. I miss the visibility and rear seat legroom.

Do NOT miss the 2005 tech (no HD radio, no backup camera, etc).

Also, not really fair to compare with the current ride in terms of power (2.5T --> 3.3TT). Price wasn't actually that much different, if you account for inflation and the lease cash I got at the time..

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hadvw said:

Still subscribed, but haven't had an LGT for 3.5 years now. I miss the visibility and rear seat legroom.

Do NOT miss the 2005 tech (no HD radio, no backup camera, etc).

Also, not really fair to compare with the current ride in terms of power (2.5T --> 3.3TT). Price wasn't actually that much different, if you account for inflation and the lease cash I got at the time..

You could have 'easily' fixed the HD radio/backup camera problem. I did that back in 2016 with a Nexus 7 and the stuff is still working!

Can you really feel torque/power delivery difference with the 3.3TT? Or should I say, is it quite of a drastic change from our EJs?

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 11:43 AM, xt2005bonbon said:

You could have 'easily' fixed the HD radio/backup camera problem. I did that back in 2016 with a Nexus 7 and the stuff is still working!

Can you really feel torque/power delivery difference with the 3.3TT? Or should I say, is it quite of a drastic change from our EJs?

I had a Nexus 7 - it wasn't nearly as easy as it seems.. I eventually got it flashed (I think) but it never seemed to be quite as described - the kernel/ROM was hard to find by the time I did it (Timur was out of the game), and was trying to find a way to mount it (had a separate trim piece for it, etc) and it required a lot of guesswork and then the rear diff died (I think) due to a flat tire and no TMPS so I drove that way for 20-30 miles. I've never not noticed a flat before, but that time, I was pre-occupied with a family matter. At that point, I decided it really was time to move on to something else. The Stinger HK sound system is so much better than the LGT, even if it could be better with phone integration, etc.

There is no comparison between the 3.3TT and the EJ, IMHO. I had GST (well regarded Subie shop) install my BNR16g, and the dyno was something like 160 whp on their Mustang dyno stock. After the bnr16g + pump + injectors, IIRC, I was ~220/245 whp/wtq. The Stinger is a few lbs heavier (~3900 lbs instead of 3400-3500), but even stock, it's low 300s whp, high 300s wtq. Like 310/380 (with some getting into the 400s for wtq). That's STOCK, which is already faster than my modded EJ. Stock to stock is no comparison - roughly 2x the power.

With the EJ, adding turbo + injectors + pump + gutted UP/DP, I picked up ~60 whp, maybe 80 ft-lbs (cost: $2-3K+, IIRC)? On the Stinger, just doing intakes + plugs + jb4 (total cost maybe $750), installed in 2-3 hours even for a guy like me who's slow - I would never tackle a turbo install myself - you can pick up like 60 whp / 80 wtq easily. If you're willing to mix E30 (I was already mixing in a bit of E85 for my LGT so yes), that can go to +100 whp / +100 wtq. Lots of guys running 400+ whp / 475+ wtq with that setup. Or nearly twice the power of my "modded" LGT. If you're willing to run WMI (I'm not) and some bolt-ons, it's pretty easy to get close to 500 whp / 600 wtq with a Lap3 tune. On stock block / head. No EJ runs 500 whp / 600 wtq on a stock block. Not even 400/500.

(I've tried not to exaggerate, but I'm sure others will point out any errors I may have made)

• Thanks 1

Still have the LGT.  I put almost 100 miles on it last summer (just over 104K on it now)...LOL.  But I am running the only Custom VF40 in existence with roller bearings and a larger wheel.  I'm extremely happy with it in spool and it pulls way past redline, BUT, it was a serious pain in the ass to make and I don't have access to that type of equipment anymore, so it will be the ONLY one ever made, at least by me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2