LegacyGT.com

Time for a new short block

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So next week I'm going to get as much out as I can I'm still waiting on my vacation pay from my job so that's why I haven't started yet. The AVCS cams I can only use those hex bolts on it?

Ok a slight change of plan lol since I finally did hear back from my 2nd job which I will be starting on Monday I might be going with a new Ej257 shortblock

given the nature of particles and so on did any of you replace the oil pump? I know I will be replacing the pan.

I replaced my oil pump and I didn't have a turbo blow.

I just told Mike at AZPinstalls.com to send me what oil pump he would use.

I did rinse out my oil cooler out with Acetone.

I also replaced the coolant cross over tube to the cooler.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I might replace mine since I lost two turbo's the first was I think caused by the oil screen on the back of the passenger head after I took that out the 2nd turbo was fine so far up to 1000 miles the first one died around 500.

I think I'm going to get a new oil pump and a new oil cooler.

Now given the AVCS cams I know about the tool for that but what about that cam holder tool or is that not needed? While I don't feel like doing it again I guess I will take all that valves out and replace the seals while also using some valve compound to clean the seats then with some fluid make sure none leaks out the intake or exhaust ports. Now as far as the valve lash most people just shave the stems?

IMO let the machine shop do the heads. I wouldn't mess with them. It's only a little money compared to the overall cost.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

huh? it's not hard to take the valves out at all.. I did them twice when I had my EJ25d's matter of fact I still have 3 valves on my dresser that got bent with valve to valve contact when the belt slipped.

it's I shave the valve stem or replace the bucket.

I've done valves on the Honda race engine on the cement wall in the driveway years ago.

For my DD I let Eastwoods Auto Machine shop do what they do.

Well I was just letting you know it's not hard I do that before I take the heads to the shop so I don't have to worry about it later.

I'm going to get a better tool this time around to keep the valve from depressing when trying to put the keepers back in.

I replaced Oil Pump Water Pump Oil Cooler Oil Control Valves and stuff I can't remember now just because I wanted to know it was safe to bolt on the new 257 block. I blew the original 40 and replaced it with a 46 but it's now contaminated too. I suspect the oil cooler wasn't fully cleaned as I though it was when I pop the 40 and cleaned the pan and other stuff out.

I been w/o my Legacy damn near the beginning of the economic crisis. Since I have a DD and logistical space to house a dead LGT and parts I'm taking as long as it takes to get it back up and running the way I see fit. My cousin could have had me up and running 3 years ago but I didn't feel comfortable reusing damn near every part that touched glitter oil.

Question I know the passenger side ground strap is broken how do you fix that?

Max will post a pic of his ground strap upgrade when he gets back. Apparently they are pieces of shit after they age a bit.

I didn't feel comfortable reusing damn near every part that touched glitter oil.

I know the feeling, I replaced everything except the oil fill tube and the valve covers. I wish I had replaced them:confused:

I replaced Oil Pump Water Pump Oil Cooler Oil Control Valves and stuff I can't remember now just because I wanted to know it was safe to bolt on the new 257 block. I blew the original 40 and replaced it with a 46 but it's now contaminated too. I suspect the oil cooler wasn't fully cleaned as I though it was when I pop the 40 and cleaned the pan and other stuff out.

I been w/o my Legacy damn near the beginning of the economic crisis. Since I have a DD and logistical space to house a dead LGT and parts I'm taking as long as it takes to get it back up and running the way I see fit. My cousin could have had me up and running 3 years ago but I didn't feel comfortable reusing damn near every part that touched glitter oil.

I replaced the passenger side OCV about a year ago and I feel the same way as you about all the oil passages but I plan on changing the oil within the first 50 miles.. I'm going to be in the budget for that many oil changes up until I get to the first normal OCI.

the good thing about all this down time is I can go over the car with a finetooth comb.

Max will post a pic of his ground strap upgrade when he gets back. Apparently they are pieces of shit after they age a bit.

Here you go...:)

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5215_zps4651c6e9.jpg

I think there is a link to some in JmP's sticky up top.

The price was free, from what we had laying around at work. Not that we don't have bigger stuff, but this was easy and I had one of the rig builders make them.

The price was free, from what we had laying around at work. Not that we don't have bigger stuff, but this was easy and I had one of the rig builders make them.

Ah that's understandable then

• 3 weeks later...

ugh a few weeks of getting the money for the block and my girlfriend is already asking if I can make the car a little quieter.. not sure if she heard the exhaust leak from the DP or just the exhaust note at idle from the rear.. that's going to be a hard one lol.

I figure the cheap Ebay catback to vibrant mufflers would help? The car is still going to speak if you open it up..

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but most of us recommend you just pull the engine. It's much easier to work on the engine out of the car when your doing that much work to it.

If you have ARP studs, it will have to come out.

Did I miss something ? didn't you just rebuild this engine ?

FWIW, be careful installing the old head bolts. Another member here had one of the bolts strip the threads in the block. Then had to pull the engine anyways to fix that.

Think about all the work that has to be done to get the head off...do you know which HG has the issue ?

Archived