LegacyGT.com

Time for a new short block

After watching this, engine r&r isn't nearly as challenging as I imagined. Thanks for posting that.

I'm attempting myself to discover whether I should go this route before my current block checks out. I'm at 182k and I like to be proactive. Not to mention I have a whole summer available to do so since I'm an educator. I'm balancing the cost with recoup on selling my existing SB and perhaps selling the existing internals from a new block and going forged on a 257.

Sorry to highjack, I'm growing more interested...:)

I did my own short-block rebuild, and it wasn't that bad at all. This guy does make it look easy as he has probably done 100's of them, but I found the hardest part was definitely the wrist-pins. Between Subaru Mike's video above and this guys videos below, really helped a lot. I had the laptop in the garage following along and referencing as I went.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaRuYYPxjXI3O4qo86qj-xT_HEzwYLKwB

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if I'm using a new crank and all new bearings I really don't have to worry about the clearance if you torque to spec.

What I need to know is that master gasket set does it include those 3 gaskets between the case half of the block?

You absolutely have to worry about clearances! You need a dial bore gauge for the block and a micrometer for the crank. You need to check manual for clearances.

You can't just swap turbos without retuning..... FYI, you were over boosting because the tune was off.
the tune was off for him it was stock as far as I know

What turbo came with the car?
not sure on the size I still have the old turbo in my room.

You absolutely have to worry about clearances! You need a dial bore gauge for the block and a micrometer for the crank. You need to check manual for clearances.

I already own a micrometer but not a dial bore gauge.. So in that guys video why did anyone point out he did no measuring? Was it because a new crank?

A already built OEM shortblock? that's at least $1800... Hell just the EJ257 case halfs empty are going for like $1400 on ebay.. At this point rebuilding is looking like the better option.. I will know more when I call my guy up tomorrow.

If you can wait, you should try signing up on email mailing list of Subaru Parts Warehouse. Usually during holidays they have 25% off coupon. I bought empty case halves for my upgraded motor build for just over $800 shipped on black friday weekend ($759 for case, $50 for shipping). Maybe they will have memorial day sale...

the tune was off for him it was stock as far as I know

not sure on the size I still have the old turbo in my room.

I already own a micrometer but not a dial bore gauge.. So in that guys video why did anyone point out he did no measuring? Was it because a new crank?

New crank makes no difference - still need to measure clearances! I didnt watch the video and I dont care what anyone else does. I check clearances and if you dont want to *chance* your motor, you will too.

New crank makes no difference - still need to measure clearances! I didnt watch the video and I dont care what anyone else does. I check clearances and if you dont want to *chance* your motor, you will too.

Well if you watched it he's a Subaru master tech

A bore-dial gauge would be useless to you unless you plan on boring/honing your own block. The machine shop you use will bore and final-hone for your pistons - that's what you're paying them for. As for the micrometer for the crank, a new Subaru crank should be within spec from the factory as they don't ship them out of spec. If you're worried about the crank being out of spec from Subaru, you can always take the crank to to the machine shop with your pistons and have them check it for you.

While your at the machine shop ask them how much to assemble your SB, correctly the first time.

I think I told you who I recommend. It may be a hour drive but at least you'll know its done right.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm sure it does but I think you are putting too much thought into it.. If I was reusing the crank yes but I wont be.

And if Subaru can't be consistent with each crank they need to go back to how to build a engine

Isn't that part of the letters stamped into the top of the block Mine is an AAAA block. I know other companies put letter codes on the block for the different sizes. They are not all the same.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

FWIW, I have great piece of mind knowing my long block was assembled by someone who knows what they are doing.

I think you know how much I drive mine and when and where the car takes me. It was cheap money to pay the man for his time on the long run.

When I get back from Florida I'm going to take the engine out and disassemble it.

It's no worse then doing the heads and taking the cams out, I pay $150 for a storage unit with all my car tools I might as well make use of them..

11295622_10152969468037725_3616239953243092720_n.jpg.26c41e10bf5e74b51336fe68e020dc7c.jpg

11143278_10152969467942725_3379777033521353136_n.thumb.jpg.1a70f40c245127fcdc31e6918d3fec67.jpg

11263082_10152969468177725_2409986676775731156_n.jpg.a2bc1efe5d3428b42c466fcaa9f673ef.jpg

Archived