LegacyGT.com

Rattsl's 05LGT Build thread (AutoX, track, yet good for daily)

Great! Thanks!

Racing my car for this season looks like a dead halt to me so far. Instead, I'm co driving CAM-C for the time being, while I do some wedding things and paying for that stuff.

I did manage to put some time in for a front splitter just for fun. Not as effective as Sgt.Gators, or Brents, but enough to smooth the underside a bit more rather than having a gap. Yes, I've thought about adding a dam in front of it, but seeing as the car is driven more on the streets, I don't want to risk it. Maybe I'll develop one that can "snap on" before races. http://i.imgur.com/OtXLE40.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kJgTuIf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CKI06rV.jpg

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, I'm watching how you mount it closely.

BTW, don't use Quik-Latch Mini Latches, they will fail under pressure. They hold things on fine, but not if there they are under a lot of pressure. A couple of 818 builders tried using them for hood latches, they failed and their hoods flew up or off.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

I'll be doing a bunch of test fittings and find out what works the best. I'm gonna do my best and use the frame (using either custom brackets, or large bolts) to mount it to, and using as many stock location bolt holes I can find. Presently, there are two on the front, nearest the mid section of the car, where the OEM splashguard was. Those two will definitely be used. There is 1 in the middle, just over the front diff, and I made a panel that has two mounting holes. The rest I will have to search and see what parts of the frame I can use.

The main area I'm most concerned about, is the front bumper. I have an idea how I want to mount it, but correct me if I'm wrong...isn't mounting a splitter rod on a bumper cover, really not holding much at all? There is no "solid" fixture for it to grab onto (say like an intercooler, or crash beam, etc)?

The bumper cover is not a great place if it's the only mount point in the front. My splitter is bolted to a frame I welded to the FMIC crash bar. That takes most of the load. There are two, and soon to be four, rods that are connected to the bumper cover. They have to be there depending on how far out your splitter protrudes. i took mine to the max for my class, but if you are only going an inch or two you might not need them at all. I know I do because i forgot to clip them in one time and my splitter bent down at speed and rubbed the track like crazy.

There's an awesome system that Steve Clinton used on his STI, I'll try to find pics..... found it. Check out how he runs his brake ducts and quick remove front bumper - splitter assembly. This is possible if you have a TMIC, I couldn't figure out how to do it with an FMIC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29744784&postcount=36

and

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30076789&postcount=51

• 2 weeks later...

Sgt.

I figured out I'm going to make a U shaped bracket (the bottom part being flat and not curved....a square missing one side if you will) and installing it using that.

After talking with a few guys, 1 of 3 said that if the splitter covers the entire bottom of the engine bay (which mine does) it will overheat.

Have you had any issues with yours, and if so, should I consider doing something on the splitter itself to aid cooling into the bay?

Sgt.

After talking with a few guys, 1 of 3 said that if the splitter covers the entire bottom of the engine bay (which mine does) it will overheat.

Have you had any issues with yours, and if so, should I consider doing something on the splitter itself to aid cooling into the bay?

Heat is the Subaru nemesis. There is a lot of "depends" involved on how much cooling you need.

If you have a 500 HP your need is much greater than a 270 HP build.

If you have a TMIC and a full splitter I could see having a problem. With a TMIC you probably shouldn't have a full splitter, but you can always start with it and if it overheats cut it back under the engine. Probably with an oil cooler and a 300 HP build you can run a full under engine splitter.

If you have a full under engine splitter you will probably need a FMIC/AWIC/or V Mount FMIC and a heat extractor hood.

And no matter which way, sealing up the spaces around the sides, bottom, and top of the radiator will help a lot. I used pipe wrap foam, roll bar padding, and a lot of duct tape to seal all the paces and holes around mine.

How far back does this splitter go? The factory undertray extends back past the front axle.

The factory undertray actually aids in cooling and intercooler performance. It creates low pressure under the car, which will literally suck air out of the engine at speed.

Here's a good article with some explanation: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112920

I did make sure to have large holes in it to allow at least a bit of airflow, but....such is life with aerodynamics, and positive and negative pressures.

• 2 months later...
Update. Long story short, got married and have been building my marriage for these past months. Just today, just picked these up from a friend of mine and a thicker tmic. http://i.imgur.com/1oH8VnQ.jpg

• 2 months later...

Long time no post.

Anyways, ran the tires last month with -2.2 camber up front, and 0 toe. Rears were set to -1.6. Car fared well the first 2 runs with a bit of understeer, but as soon as I fixed the PSI front and rear, the car handled tenfold better. Placed 1st.

Front rotors are shot, and instead of cutting them, I decided on just getting DBA 4000 rotors and HP+ pads. Since this post was also made, I added a Perrin inlet and had it retuned, and went from 218whp to 255whp...still oem tmic and intake.

Next projects are adding Grimmspeed brake brace, and experimenting with engine bay cooling, while maintaining efficiency of the tmic.

I've always done the 2x35mph>5mph and then 2x60mph>5mph and then drive around a bit easy to let everything and when having to come to a full stop easing off and holding with the handbrake if necessary.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

just go on the highway and brake hard from 80-40 alot to get everything hot, just shy for getting abs to kick in. as you do this you will notice your brake feel come up to its proper feel. let cool down and repeat. just dont fully stop the car while everything is hot.

what i like to do i get the initial cross-hatching on the rotors worn away so on the concentric circles from the pad are visible.

Archived