LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

A couple years back I was still fighting my build. Friend was in the market for a new econo box. They (of course his wife was involved) chose the Chevy Sonic and had the option to pick a turbo model. When he told me and noticed the raised eyebrow/hollow stare it was not the wise decision. They have a NA version.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know it's true to buy a lottery ticket when you realize you own 4 turbo cars and only one works at a time. The morning after the wagon drove around the block, the Sonic threw a code for boost leak. Having learned my lesson from last time, I'm sending it to a shop to get fixed.

Reason I have a N/A Honda once my Cruze broke every part and GMPP Extended Warranty stop fixing stuff. I test drove the the new 2018 2.0 Turbo Accord but the Hype R issues is kinda telling me let it go. Eventually I will finish or sell the Legacy.

• 3 weeks later...

Sonic was fixed under factory warranty. PCV valve mounting location fails, which requires replacement of intake manifold and valve cover. It's back running again.

Having Stirfry_lgt make a set of custom lights for the wagon. bi-xenons, hid, led, etc. Targeting 900 feet of throw, 12000 lumens, etc.

Picked up more interior parts. Found a full LED interior light setup. Found a Nexus 7 in working condition. Still trying to close the deal on the double din setup. Looking for a dash cam setup (truck got nailed by a cellphone driver who is denying it, no video, it sucks). Debating upgrading speakers.

Bought another wagon for the motor and transmission and sti trailing arms. Looking to buy another 5mt LGT if I can find one with low miles or a built motor. It's cheaper to buy a car than a shortblock. :-(

closed all the for sale & part out threads.

At long last, the wagon is running -

Tracked down the CEL (my tactrix wouldn't connect so had to borrow a bluetooth obd2 reader from Kip).

Took it for a ride around the neighborhood. At 11:30pm. With DP only, no exhaust system.

Still to do:

put on hood

put on straight pipe exhaust

inflate tires

clean up car (its dusty)

put on the dark interior parts

find a double din radio setup

sell the sonic :-)

It's been a long time - 1412 posts and almost 4 years. Countless people have helped (pik1111, MrTris, Gex, Boxman, JmP6889928 and many others). it would have been cheaper to pay a shop to do it. I bought alot of stuff, some of it was even useful.

Looking forward to moving the racecar into the work space...

Happy to help! It was worth the late night to see the wagon come alive with no check engine codes. We tracked down the issue and cleared the code and siphoned out the 3 year old gas and it ran pretty smooth. Sounds glorious with no exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At long last, the wagon is running -

Tracked down the CEL (my tactrix wouldn't connect so had to borrow a bluetooth obd2 reader from Kip).

Took it for a ride around the neighborhood. At 11:30pm. With DP only, no exhaust system.

Still to do:

put on hood

put on straight pipe exhaust

inflate tires

clean up car (its dusty)

put on the dark interior parts

find a double din radio setup

sell the sonic :-)

It's been a long time - 1412 posts and almost 4 years. Countless people have helped (pik1111, MrTris, Gex, Boxman, JmP6889928 and many others). it would have been cheaper to pay a shop to do it. I bought alot of stuff, some of it was even useful.

Looking forward to moving the racecar into the work space...

Hood is on.

MrTris detailed the heck out of the car - 3 days of OCD. Car glows

Tires got inflated

Found a double din kit

Found a led kit

Put on my of a kind taillights

Put on a trip permit (tabs expired Aug 2014)

And drove by an indirect route

Need to take emissions test next

Sonic was fixed under factory warranty. PCV valve mounting location fails, which requires replacement of intake manifold and valve cover. It's back running again.

Luckily your dealer was competent. PI# clearly states replace the manifold which includes throttle body and fuel rail but a good handful just skip the manifold which is the root cause of the failure. There is an orange check ball that falls out and gets ingested into the engine. Once it goes the PCV goes short time later. There is a kit out to eliminate the check ball and while the manifold is off they also remove the little tabs that somewhat are on a small scale like our TGV's. Either way, you should be fine as long as they didn't pinch the gasket for the cam cover.

Luckily your dealer was competent. PI# clearly states replace the manifold which includes throttle body and fuel rail but a good handful just skip the manifold which is the root cause of the failure. There is an orange check ball that falls out and gets ingested into the engine. Once it goes the PCV goes short time later. There is a kit out to eliminate the check ball and while the manifold is off they also remove the little tabs that somewhat are on a small scale like our TGV's. Either way, you should be fine as long as they didn't pinch the gasket for the cam cover.

I think they missed something as it has much more noise than before. They didn't do the throttle body or fuel rail according to the work order.

As soon as the wagon passes emissions, the sonic is gone. Someone else can mess with it. That said, it's been a fun little car. I love the traction defeat that turns it into a torque-steering speed demon.The side-to-side rocking at speed is challenging. :eek:

Picked up the new lights today. Looks OEM on outside. Looks OEM on inside. Need to get them installed to see the actual difference.

Wired to have high beam turn on all 4 lights at full brightness... should be about 12,000 lumens. :-)

Have a set of high power LED spot lights to mount in the fog light location. Debating whether I 'll really need them.

What kind of night driving do you do? I guess if you live way out in the country that would be nice. I can count on one finger the amount of times I have used my brights this year. 12,000 would be nice when you are waaaay out in the country though.

It's illegal to use a horn in Seattle, so I prefer the "light" horn. An overwhelming flash of light in your rearview blows your cellphone screen into invisible. So you have to look up.

For the rest of the time, I do alot of night driving on mountain roads. I deliver tofu to the tourist resorts...

I can't tell if you're joking or not re: horn

A few years back, the more enlightened villages passed a law about horn use. It was eventually ruled a violation of free speech. However horn use in the area is very low.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/3cpaju/officially_its_illegal_to_use_your_horn_in/

Archived