LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

The Dodge 2500 QC is nearly seven feet (6'10") to the top of the roof.

Have been looking at a four-poster BenPak for the garage, but there's a huge structural beam that's nearly two feet thick, that sticks down into what would be a 14' ceiling. So no soup for me in this garage, at least where the Ram is concerned. :icon_mad:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
So 7' truck height, plus 6' working height, plus 2' wiggle room = 15 ft ceiling. An extra foot to make it 16' ceiling would basically mean you could most likely get the tires to the 6' mark with the frame being close to or even above 7' height.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

^^^ I've seen his setup. Desire has overcome height. He puts a pad on top of the car to limit damage as it goes up. :)

There's a reason Warehouse space is so tall.

I've bent a couple of antennas too!

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Another dumb question, has anyone seen amish folks pour concrete, and is there one of them who accepts credit cards? This sounds degrading but I do not know haha.

I am only ~5'10" and rarely ever plan on working on my own trucks, more so if anyone in the family wants to bring their truck in I want to be capable of accommodating. This pole barn is ironically my wedding gift to myself and the backyard/barn is where the wedding will be. Killing two birds with one stone.... Approximately a $50,000 stone....

I am big into Tesla products and anything renewable energy/sustainable. Problem will be to have a barn that can fit the lift, another two car storage, adequate bench room, area for tractor and lawn equipment, a corner for the woman, a partial second story for relaxing area (tractor and accessories will go under this), having heating/A/C, a lean too for the trailer and BBQ area, and any potential solar panels/tesla wall powerbricks cost goes out the door...

Another dumb question, has anyone seen amish folks pour concrete, and is there one of them who accepts credit cards? This sounds degrading but I do not know haha.

I am only ~5'10" and rarely ever plan on working on my own trucks, more so if anyone in the family wants to bring their truck in I want to be capable of accommodating. This pole barn is ironically my wedding gift to myself and the backyard/barn is where the wedding will be. Killing two birds with one stone.... Approximately a $50,000 stone....

I am big into Tesla products and anything renewable energy/sustainable. Problem will be to have a barn that can fit the lift, another two car storage, adequate bench room, area for tractor and lawn equipment, a corner for the woman, a partial second story for relaxing area (tractor and accessories will go under this), having heating/A/C, a lean too for the trailer and BBQ area, and any potential solar panels/tesla wall powerbricks cost goes out the door...

I'd scrap the truck lift requirement. Seems excessive for zero return.

Make a ranked list of most important. And attach a cost to implement. You can always make allowance in the plan for runs of power and extra strength. It's much more expensive to add later.

http://www.diypolebarns.com/quote/

Quoted a price of 90,000$ for a 40x100 x 20' tall barn with a 12x100 porch and a 12x100 lean-to. Insulation on walls and ceiling. Plywood interior and ceiling. 12 foot spacing on posts. You pour your own concrete.

My garage is 30x50 with no posts. I'm thinking of bumping my insurance after that quote.

The extra ceiling height will add to your heating bill. My ceiling is 10-15 degrees warmer than the floor area.

I'd build for your 90% current usage and allow room for expansion later. If you are including a truck lift for others, I'd ask for money upfront to pay for it.

Mine is unheated. Insulation keeps it usable. Put on a sweater or open the doors. If you are cold, use an infared heater to warm you up.

If you are trying to keep the pipes from freezing, use heat wrap. Much cheaper.

In your location, getting the footings deep enough and the concrete strong enough, is going to be the largest cost.

Best of luck with your project.

Get a set of coveralls, they keep you warm you can take off that grimy outer layer of clothing when you're done working.

I'd worry about under-floor heating going bad... and then you have to dig up the floor to fix it. Anybody know of an electric blanket that lasts more than a few years? (Granted, floors don't get rolled or folded, and that probably helps, but still.)

I'd suggest getting normal garage heating and add a floor fan pointed up to force the warm air back down.

Much like a ceiling fan in the house that you switch to upward in the winter time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

At long last, the wagon is running -

Tracked down the CEL (my tactrix wouldn't connect so had to borrow a bluetooth obd2 reader from Kip).

Took it for a ride around the neighborhood. At 11:30pm. With DP only, no exhaust system.

Still to do:

put on hood

put on straight pipe exhaust

inflate tires

clean up car (its dusty)

put on the dark interior parts

find a double din radio setup

sell the sonic :-)

It's been a long time - 1412 posts and almost 4 years. Countless people have helped (pik1111, MrTris, Gex, Boxman, JmP6889928 and many others). it would have been cheaper to pay a shop to do it. I bought alot of stuff, some of it was even useful.

Looking forward to moving the racecar into the work space...

Sooooo how long till street car engine gets pulled out and thrown into racecar so you can have racecar fun again?

Funny thing, that.

While I have big plans, I've come to some harsh realities recently. Slow learner...

I'm buying a running car and swapping the motor over. Also shopping for a lift. Got my old crew chief back now that he's retired. Met another LGT owner with a caged wagon who's been helping me (Kip). And other stuff. :)

You know it's true to buy a lottery ticket when you realize you own 4 turbo cars and only one works at a time. The morning after the wagon drove around the block, the Sonic threw a code for boost leak. Having learned my lesson from last time, I'm sending it to a shop to get fixed.

Archived