LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The garage project just goes on & on. Finally wrote everything on the whiteboard in order so I know how bad I'm f'king up my first track day.

garage temp is up to 57 degress so paint actually cures to the wood instead of forming a film that peels off. Primer is all done, so that goes on the floor (the first attempt has held up well). Someday when I have a spare $7000 I'll get it done correctly using epoxy after a diamond grind.

Shelves are mostly painted. Still need to repair the trailer walls (bringing the sedan over put gouges in the walls). Can't wait to be done with painting (have to wait for garage to be warm enough, then wait 12 hours for it to actually cure before next coat).

In the meantime, organizing my beer. The 2014 Abyss has aged well.

Abyss.thumb.jpg.2403eb535dc39c66f42740a8a4c0ffc7.jpg

I drove it wanted it left it there. No pics. Tbe conversion is easy and he's got a sorted solution that's better. Ping him for more information.

I wanted tbe 08 sti drivetrain. Still want.

We're talking full 08 sti rear subframe, suspension, etc? Where would I find him?

The garage project just goes on & on. Finally wrote everything on the whiteboard in order so I know how bad I'm f'king up my first track day.

garage temp is up to 57 degress so paint actually cures to the wood instead of forming a film that peels off. Primer is all done, so that goes on the floor (the first attempt has held up well). Someday when I have a spare $7000 I'll get it done correctly using epoxy after a diamond grind.

Shelves are mostly painted. Still need to repair the trailer walls (bringing the sedan over put gouges in the walls). Can't wait to be done with painting (have to wait for garage to be warm enough, then wait 12 hours for it to actually cure before next coat).

In the meantime, organizing my beer. The 2014 Abyss has aged well.

Glad to see another Beer guy here!

We're talking full 08 sti rear subframe, suspension, etc? Where would I find him?

Oh no. If he had that, I'd called AAA to flatbed it home. Just drivetrain and bearings. The suspension is still 05 lgt.

Still looking for an 08 sti donor to do my swap. Seems dumb to part out a 20k car to put in a 10k car. Then again owning a lgt is questionable too. :lol:

• 2 months later...

2 months later, and the wagon has a new home. The garage is as done as its going to be for awhile. The sink & toilet are on the v2 list because damn, a sewer line is expensive.

Got the wagon moved. Now searching for all the parts. Then have to sort out which are street car parts and which are race car. What ever's left over, goes on the part out thread - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wa-boxkitas-part-out-thread-262197.html?t=262197

WagonNewHome.thumb.jpg.7cc402ef4b27e01700cdccf29f5f3473.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Spent the afternoon looking for all the parts I took off. And sorting tools so I can put the parts back on. Should be fun. About half the baggies fell apart, so now I just have a collection of nuts & bolts.

That's about where I am right now.

• 3 months later...

The wagon finally fired up last Thursday. Almost literally, too. Fuel lines weren't fully attached and sprayed fuel all over the engine.

Thanks to Stirfry_LGT for the final push to get it done.

Among the lost stuff, I had to order a new tactrix. It's throwing a cel.

On plus side, running with a dp only has a nice sound.

• 1 month later...
Any garage details? I'm debating 12 or 14 foot walls for a lift to fit trucks and be able to stand 6 ft underneath

I have 12 foot walls with 18 foot center height. 30x50. Previous owner put their lift dead center and had a mini-van on it when I first saw it.

You'll need a good pour of concrete under your lift. Someone else did something like that and then added 1 inch thick plates to brace against the base of the lift.

Measure the tallest truck, add a couple of feet for air flow/lights, add your desired under-truck clearance. That's the minimum wall height. Use a peaked roof for weather shedding.

Other than adding solar cells and better LED lighting (1100 lumens from 18 feet is pretty dim), there's not much I'd change about my setup

Any garage details? I'm debating 12 or 14 foot walls for a lift to fit trucks and be able to stand 6 ft underneath

12' will not be enough for trucks. I have 12' and I've hit the ceiling with regular cars a few times. That 's on a BendPak 4 post. And when I raise the car off the runners with the sliding jack it's really bad. I have to be very careful using the sliding jack with anything taller than very low Ht sports cars.

A two post lift does not have this problem of raising cars off the ramps. But you still need more for trucks.

14" minimum for regular cars IMHO (if I ever build a new shop). 16' for trucks.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• Moderators

My stock '15 F-150 is essentially 6.5' in height. So lifting it so that you could stand with 6' underneath would require 14' ceiling or so--wheels would hang a bit lower than 6' at that point, but frame would definitely be 6' or higher.

But that's assuming nothing up at ceiling height to get in the way or anything and no clearance really. 16' would definitely give you the extra room to be comfy for trucks.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Hence measure the tallest truck you'll ever lift, add 2 feet for utilities, add 6 feet for work space, and you're set. Reality if you're 6 feet, you want more room.. constantly having to duck to avoid knocking your head on stuff or crouching while lifting parts up, really sucks.

I'd visit a garage that works on vehicles you'll be working on. Spend a few hours with them and find out what they would do if they could start over. Nothing like time under a lift mimicking movements to appreciate getting it right.

Archived