LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

did i read somewhere that it's the same part and you can re-use the old ones?

I doubt it. You can't re-use the original 16mm bushings with a 19mm bar. Think about it: old bar = 16mm, new bar = 19mm. You can re-use the steel mounting clamps, though.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone put a Whiteline 22mm adjustable on a 6th gen yet?

I am waiting for one of these guys to go all in...I mean all in.

I'd love to see a local guy with a modded 6th gen for a track day meet up!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I doubt it. You can't re-use the original 16mm bushings with a 19mm bar. Think about it: old bar = 16mm, new bar = 19mm. You can re-use the steel mounting clamps, though.

If you ordered from subaruonlineparts.com the bushings are included.

RJG

I have a hard time believing the RSB has anything to do the car wandering on the highway and that a larger bar would help that. The sway bar limits or allows for body roll and the suspension has to be engaged (as in turning) for it to work. A larger bar merely means the body rolls less so that energy transfers to the suspension and in turn the tires. A straight highway would not engage the rear antiroll bar IMHO.

I have a hard time believing the RSB has anything to do the car wandering on the highway and that a larger bar would help that. The sway bar limits or allows for body roll and the suspension has to be engaged (as in turning) for it to work. A larger bar merely means the body rolls less so that energy transfers to the suspension and in turn the tires. A straight highway would not engage the rear antiroll bar IMHO.

I highly doubt the 6th gen has the same issue as the 2010 model.

The wandring has to do with tire tread and the way a particular piece of road was paved.

That said, a fatter rear bar will reduce the push from the front and allow the car to turn easily.

If you do anything to this car, a fatter RSB, wider tires, and a proper alignment are a great first step.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

We are on the same page then. I felt it was important to say since there seemed to be a notion in this thread that a bigger RSB would somehow correct highway wandering/steering.

We are on the same page then. I felt it was important to say since there seemed to be a notion in this thread that a bigger RSB would somehow correct highway wandering/steering.

It will not improve the wandering, but it will make the car feel more stable (slightly less body roll), and it will improve steering in that the rear will come around easier...guaranteed.

This will be the best $120 spent on this car. I would suggest the whiteline 22mm adjustable, but the 19mm or 20mm bar is a minimum.

Edited by fredrik94087

... there seemed to be a notion in this thread that a bigger RSB would somehow correct highway wandering/steering.

I agree with you, but there is no shortage of anecdotal claims to the contrary.

Rear stabilizer bar (i.e. anti-roll bar) stiffness can affect straight-line handling by changing the suspension's response to road surface irregularities ... e.g. a stiffer bar will increase bump/roll coupling.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

If remain skeptical that a 3MM change in the diameter of the RSB would do that, but I guess anything is possible. If I end up buying the vehicle I'll be testing this theory myself then.

There's a whole thread in the 5th gen section...hundreds, if not thousands of posts long, with literally hundreds of members that installed a minimum of 19mm RSB and all reported that the wandering and susceptibility to cross winds was reduced significantly with the stiffer RSB. I know from experience that the RSB can affect straight line tracking and increase the feeling of being more "planted" while driving straight. I went straight to a 22mm from the OEM 16mm. It was a significant improvement all around.

If remain skeptical that a 3MM change in the diameter of the RSB would ...

A 19mm bar will be twice as stiff in torsion (99% stiffer, actually) than the OEM 16mm bar. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the anecdotal claims made here and elsewhere, just making the point that a "small" 3mm increase can have a significant effect.

FWIW, a 20mm bar is 144% stiffer than the OEM 16mm bar (i.e. 2.44 times as stiff), which is why I recommend against it as a first step. If someone wants to experiment, I suggest they try the 19mm bar first and go from there. Bigger is not always better.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

A 19mm bar will be twice as stiff in torsion (99% stiffer, actually) than the OEM 16mm bar. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the anecdotal claims made here and elsewhere, just making the point that a "small" 3mm increase can have a significant effect.

FWIW, a 20mm bar is 144% stiffer than the OEM 16mm bar (i.e. 2.44 times as stiff), which is why I recommend against it as a first step. If someone wants to experiment, I suggest they try the 19mm bar first and go from there. Bigger is not always better.

I know full well the changes a larger sway bar will make and the benefits there in. I'm not saying that a 3mm change will be minimal, but rather I question it's impact during highway driving and the effect on wandering. That's all. But apparently the anecdotal buttdyno evidence shows otherwise.

I am glad to know these types of modifications/improvements are available for the vehicle.

i called them about my 20mm order. back ordered again i was #40 and there are 80+ waiting. i ordered a month back so they are getting a few here and there. i popped for the 19mm and it came yesterday...

I ordered my 20mm on 12/16, still waiting. I was # 30 in line about two weeks ago. He guessed it would be Early to Mid Feb before I get it. :mad: But... I've waited this long and it's too cold to jack around with it now anyway, so I'll wait.

The part number is actually for the XV Crosstrek

Subaru XV Crosstrek Rear Sway Bar Kit - 20mm Install.

Model(s):

XV Crosstrek

Model Year(s):

2013 2014

Part Number(s):

20451VA000-20464VA000 x2

The first part number is the sway bar and the second one is the bushing kits

Just ordered the 19mm from the dealer. Should be in/installed by the end of the week when my baby goes in for the filler door ... again.

FWIW, after I finally got through to them that the 19mm was a direct upgrade from Subaru (they weren't keen on doing anything aftermarket) they wouldn't even go anywhere near the 20mm bar even after I said that it would fit and it has been done!