LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

The part number is actually for the XV Crosstrek

Subaru XV Crosstrek Rear Sway Bar Kit - 20mm Install.

Model(s):

XV Crosstrek

Model Year(s):

2013 2014

Part Number(s):

20451VA000-20464VA000 x2

The first part number is the sway bar and the second one is the bushing kits

Firepyro: I am thinking of using this same setup for my 2015 legacy also. How did this work out for you? Was the sway bar the exact same size? (How did you know it was the same before ordering?) If it wasn't the same, how far off were they and should I get spacers?

Did you also replace your end-links or did you order new ones? I was thinking of getting kartboy because stock looks like it will snap, but just don't want to spend that much on endlinks.

For anyone else: did anyone confirm if the 2014 legacy is the same as the 2015 legacy? Kartboy didn't have endlinks for the 2015 and said they haven't measured them yet.

Edited by sf.basilix

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firepyro: I am thinking of using this same setup for my 2015 legacy also. How did this work out for you? Was the sway bar the exact same size? (How did you know it was the same before ordering?) If it wasn't the same, how far off were they and should I get spacers?

Did you also replace your end-links or did you order new ones? I was thinking of getting kartboy because stock looks like it will snap, but just don't want to spend that much on endlinks.

For anyone else: did anyone confirm if the 2014 legacy is the same as the 2015 legacy? Kartboy didn't have endlinks for the 2015 and said they haven't measured them yet.

The entire rear suspension of the 2015 Legacy is the same layout as the 2010-2014 Legacy/Outback, 2008-2015 Impreza platform (2008+ Impreza, WRX, STi and Forester) and BRZ. Only the shock specs and spring rates/length are different between them, except on the Outback and Forester which use different upper control arms because of the ride height. Stock end links are more than sufficient for the 19mm bar, save your money. Many have tracked and autox'ed their cars with the Whiteline 22mm bar and stock end links, so they are plenty strong enough.

Edited by GTEASER

I just installed this Whiteline bar on mid setting and now I am getting an intermittent clunk from the rear... Trying to track it down. I hope it's not the endlinks.

I retorqued everything and all is good with that... still getting the clunk though.

Noticed something from the pics above, Does the 3.6R have a different rear diff or just a finned cover?

I just installed this Whiteline bar on mid setting and now I am getting an intermittent clunk from the rear... Trying to track it down. I hope it's not the endlinks.

I retorqued everything and all is good with that... still getting the clunk though.

Noticed something from the pics above, Does the 3.6R have a different rear diff or just a finned cover?

Check to make sure the ends of the RSB and the endlinks are not contacting the lower spring perches. Maybe try a different setting on the sway bar to see if the clunk goes away. Also, I had one of the longer bolts supplied with my WL swaybar break when I did the install and I had to replace it with a higher grade bolt.

It is just a finned cover and should be the same diff as all Legacys, although possibly different final drive ratio, IIRC, the 3.6R is a 3.90 and the 4 bangers are 4.11 ratio. Subaru was probably anticipating higher torque with the 3.6R over the 2.5i and thought that the diff needed some additional cooling with that drive ratio. They did this on the 5th Gens too, so not sure why they didn't include the finned cover on the GTs.

why would whiteline send cheap bolts, thats not cool. The fins help to cool the diff

They didn't send cheap bolts, the bolt were likely just fine. I initially overtightened it and when I went to torque it, it started to stretch and broke. Not really sure how I did it because I am always very careful, but it happened. I have never heard of anyone else having this issue. I brought up my issue so that he could check to make sure that that wasn't a reason for his "clunk".

I used the Kartboy Rear Endlinks Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2015 Subaru WRX / STI) and they were a perfect fit and easy swap.

Has anyone installed coilovers yet? I want to, trust me.. just getting funds right.

I might bump my whiteline to max setting. I still think it's a great improvement and if anyone is going to upgrade their rsb they might as well spring for the 22mm. I'm not sure if the kartboy endlinks are necessary, but I have no complaints. (A LSD would be nice, though...)

Edited by kaopealii

That's Great info about the Kartboy Stuff I'm going to order a set today.. I should have my sway bar Friday..

You won't regret the combo! Just take it easy as you get used to it, shouldn't take long ;) I personally took it to the windiest road I knew about in the area I was.. and it performed at least as well as my old awd 3 series.

Edited by kaopealii

Check to make sure the ends of the RSB and the endlinks are not contacting the lower spring perches. Maybe try a different setting on the sway bar to see if the clunk goes away. Also, I had one of the longer bolts supplied with my WL swaybar break when I did the install and I had to replace it with a higher grade bolt.

The long bolts still look good. There was a bracket from the lower driver control arm (HID level sensor?) that seem to be touching the sway bar so I flexed it out of the way... It was not the cause of the noise. I spent an hour under the rear looking for any points of contact... To me it almost sounds like subframe flex and a broken weld/connection flexing? I hope not. I am going to remove the swaybar and either install the stock one or take it for a short drive without one and see if the noise is still present. Just to do some process of elimination for sanity.

Steel, do a 50 mile trip on at least a 65mph highway and you will notice. The bar is a snap and I think it rides like it should have in the first. Nothing worse in ice and snow than wandering steering. Even subaru advertises the bar to correct the sway at highway speeds.

i didnt notice any sway when i drove the 3.6 r home at 80+ on highway.

did they change this on later legacy's

Guest rayms69
lets hope so, it pretty funny the days after i purchased it, i looked online and lo and behold theres a bigger sway bar. Do a quick measurement, i believe 16mm was stock

There's a shoulder on the stock end link stud that need to sit properly in the hole on the sway bar. It's easy to get it cock-eyed. You are the first out of hundreds that I have heard having this issue with stock end links. Glad you figured it out!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Got my 20mm rsb installed in about 30 minutes. Going out to dinner down I-96 so we will see if that is the answer (I'm sure it is). Now I have to wait for pin striping and a aluminum foot rest. Seems there is always something! P.S. got it from Quirk Parts in about 4 days for $88 and change including shipping. Works, more stable and firm but not harsh.

• 2 weeks later...