LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Brass Shifter Bushing

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lead can be absorbed through the skin as well, gets into your pores. As long as you wash your hands thoroughly with soap and cold water (to close said pores) after handling the bushing, you should be fine.

I'm 100% positive that i didn't do that

seriously? Yes, there is lead in brass - generally the content is low, and it's done to facilitate machining. It's not going to absorb through your pores if you touch it, and the leach rate even under conditions corrosive to brass is going to be low (it sort of matters how the brass is thermally processed, but I am not going to geek out on metallurgy here) so if you ate it, you'd poop it out more or less intact. If you ground it, collected, then breathed in the dust, you would probably have more issues with the copper than the lead... (leaded brass is generally under 2% lead) - it's sort of like worrying about the beryllium in beryllium-copper.

Wait, there's beryllium in copper? What if it comes off of the pipes when I'm in the shower? Am I gonna get hair cancer?

Or maybe that's what male-pattern baldness is, guys with longer runs of copper pipe between them and the water heater get more beryllium and lose more hair. Women must be immune or something.

Wait, there's beryllium in copper?
Not the alloys typically used for tubing - it's a higher strength family of alloys used for things like connector pins, e-rings, spring elements, etc. Also - the issue with beryllium isn't generally cancer - it's a sort of allergic reaction (berylliosis)

Not the alloys typically used for tubing - it's a higher strength family of alloys used for things like connector pins, e-rings, spring elements, etc. Also - the issue with beryllium isn't generally cancer - it's a sort of allergic reaction (berylliosis)

Don't tell California about it. They might think it's cancer anyway.

The State of California recommends that you stay submerged in a pool at least 10 feet deep for the rest of your life. Any other activity leads to cancer.

If it's just reluctant to go into gear because the gear oil is cold in the morning, it probably won't solve the problem, but it'll be a lot easier to feel what's actually going on.

It's been getting a little worse as the year progressed, I've seen those bushings rip on Nissan's, which would add a lot of extra travel before it would actually click into gear.

when was the last time you changed your transmission fluid?

Getting ready to in a few weeks, especially since Extra S is now sold at my local dealer.

Been too busy with the Legacy to really do anything serious on the outback :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

For what it's worth, I notice it being a little harder to get into gear in the cold sometimes, and that happened immediately before and immediately after I swapped out the factory fill for Motul Gear 300 about a year ago. I also have to double-clutch to get back down into second sometimes before things warm up, but that's usually only when it gets cold enough out for shifting to feel like paddling a boat through molasses.

I just did the brass bushing install, and in my very short test drive it felt leaps and bounds better than before. I will wait and see after a day or two to give a full opinion, but so far I love it.

As for difficulty shifting into second, I too have that same problem sometimes, even after a fresh Motul 300 change.

Anyway, after I get a feel for the difference that this bushing makes, I am going to swap in the Boomba shift adapter that I just got. I'm excited to see how it feels

Archived