LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Brass Shifter Bushing

For those of you in cooler climates, brandon.mol's suggestion of 1/2 Redline Lightweight Shockproof and 1/2 Motul Gear300 would be recommended to keep the synchros nice and slickery below 50 degrees ambient. It will ease cold weather, cold gearbox shifting significantly.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just did the brass bushing install, and in my very short test drive it felt leaps and bounds better than before. I will wait and see after a day or two to give a full opinion, but so far I love it.

As for difficulty shifting into second, I too have that same problem sometimes, even after a fresh Motul 300 change.

Anyway, after I get a feel for the difference that this bushing makes, I am going to swap in the Boomba shift adapter that I just got. I'm excited to see how it feels

You will love the boomba plate, makes a huge difference. They claim it shortens the throws by 1/3 feels more like 1/2. Its great

For those of you in cooler climates, brandon.mol's suggestion of 1/2 Redline Lightweight Shockproof and 1/2 Motul Gear300 would be recommended to keep the synchros nice and slickery below 50 degrees ambient. It will ease cold weather, cold gearbox shifting significantly.

I was actually running 3:1. And I'd go 100%,actually, or mix with Redline 75w90NS instead of the Motul 300.

Currently I am 100% Redline 75W90NS ("non-slip") which is a GL5 ester-based gear oil without the friction modifiers that normally go in GL5s, specifically designed for transaxles (Such as Subaru and Porche) where the same oil has to lubricate the front differential hypoid gears AND simultaneously allow the synchros the grab. My understanding is that Motul 300 doesn't excel in that second arena, though I haven't directly compared it, so thats anecdotal.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=58304

In comparison to the 3:1 LWSP/Motul-300 mix, I would say that this is slightly less good at synchro engagement in 2nd when cold, but otherwise similar and far far far superior to the factory fill.

Poor synchro engagement causing difficult shifts in low temperatures is caused by high fluid viscosity at those temperatures, while poor synchro engagement/grinding when hot is caused by friction modifiers or worn out synchros. The LWSP excels here because the base fluid is like a 30 weight oil, but it effectively has suspended moly grease in it giving it the shockloading (think - hard shifts) protection of a 140 weight gear oil.

While cold, I find that I routinely have to double clutch with rev matching to get it into 2nd while down shifting. However it seems easier to engage 2nd coming fom 4th rather than 3rd. 1st engages easier than 2nd, so I am guessing that there is a fluid-flow design flaw in these transmissions around the 2nd gear synchros.

I want to say 1st and 2nd are carbon-carbon synchros, so that could have something to do with the extra difficulty there. I'd describe my experience on 100% Motul pretty much exactly how you described the 3:1 mix, for whatever that's worth to whoever cares.

As far as using Redline 75W90NS, what's the reason behind using an oil formulated for use with a limited-slip diff when we don't have one in our transaxle (front or center)? I know most other LSD-specific gear oils aren't supposed to be used in transaxles, so I can see the appeal there, just curious what got you to try this particular oil. Can't argue with results, LSD or not, so I'll have to keep this in mind for my next fluid change.

That oil is not formulated for a limited slip diff. Not sure where you are getting that. Its actually really bad to use in an LSD, since it would make it lock up like crazy, unless the LSD is worn badly and slipping a lot, then it helps.

Take a look at the website.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, Australian forum member here.

Finally got around to ordering the brass shifter bush. But the major pain here is getting hold of the washer. According to Subaru Australia there are zero units in the country and I'd need a special order from Japan, ffs! Even finding that info out was hard enough. So Just seeing if anyone knew of an alternative to the OEM washer?

Thanks.

Yeah take the bushing down to a hardware store and buy any bushing that fits and looks like it is kinda the same size. No need to be exact here. I just used a washer that I had lying around.

Thanks guys, yeah I'll try and source a washer somewhere else.

Thought I was all sorted as the shifter bush packaging stated that it contained a washer. Even the instructions say to use the supplied washer.. Unfortunatley no washer was in the packaging, oh well! (kit is dated 2016-11-03)

The car that the bushing is made for, 2015+ WRX, has a different style OEM bushing than our, and needs a washer, the OEM washer listed in the first few posts of this thread. Our bushing has the washer built into it. So we need the 2015 WRX washer, or a hardware store imposter, to go with the Perrin bushing.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone ever had an issue installing the shifter bush?

As soon as I got under the car I noticed the shifter assembly where the oem bush sits didn't look right. It looks and is slightly bent... Looked nothing like I've seen in pictures and on videos. It was almost impossible to take off the assembly to remove the oem bush as it's kinda bent. and with that out I knew fitting the brass one would prove impossible as it's all slightly bent and doesn't sit flush. Tried a few things and even removed the large clip at the end of assembly to give me more to play with. Still no go.

So just seeing if anyone else had an issue with theirs and do you think mine looks out of shape?

Thanks.

IMG_2400.thumb.JPG.1b9c3690bdf92be6bd7e1725d0b9bb02.JPG

Pretty positive it's the actual cable. Can feel that it's bent. Showed my mechanic the pic and he's gonna take a look this week. He thinks he may be able to reposition it slightly by adjusting the bracket the linkage attaches too. But I reckon the cable is way out of shape, and was bent during assembly. So much for a 20minute job, damn it!

IMG_2399.thumb.JPG.1370cd51278c74565a47668c97bf9bda.JPG

BBPeik has a shifter assembly for sale in the classifieds, perhaps he will sell you just the cable. PM him. Replacing it may be a better fix in the long term. If things are misaligned you may end up wearing out the Perrin bushing.

Yeah I agree with you, definitely may be better to replace it. Thanks for the heads up on the listing in the classifieds, I'm in Australia so postage would be brutal. I'll see how it looks when it goes up on the hoist later this week. Might be able to find one here in oz, fingers crossed.

• 7 months later...
So for clarification, I am trying to install mine on 2.5i 6mt, the brass bushing requires slight modification due to the hole is too small (just a tad bit) to fit into the shaft.
The brass bushing itself does not require any modification. You do need the WRX washer on one side of it. People were buying a washer from the hardware store and drilling out the center hole. I would recommend going with the OEM washer. Part number is in the first couple posts.

The brass bushing itself does not require any modification. You do need the WRX washer on one side of it. People were buying a washer from the hardware store and drilling out the center hole. I would recommend going with the OEM washer. Part number is in the first couple posts.

Yes, I do have the oem washer which I bought directly from Subaru. After a close inspection, the brass bushing that I have compared to another perrin's brass bushing is slightly smaller. I guess it is just a manufacturer imperfection.

But I got it installed and worked very well. I noticed it is really easy to get into gears and feels very notch-y. But still cannot compete with the S2k's shifter feels.

That'll work, otherwise either an M8 x 25mm OD or 5/16" x 1" OD fender washer will work, depending on what you can find most easily. If you're impatient, but want to install the OEM washer eventually, you can always drop one of those on there while you wait for the OEM washer to show up.

Archived