LegacyGT.com

2016 hopes & wishes but ultimately disappointment thread

SCHM1AN

I think maybe I hit a nerve by hitting upon the real reason Subaru styling suffers. The thin sheetmetal is well known - when I had hail damage repaired the paintless dent repair guy agreed that Subarus have about the thinnest panels out there. I think it affects the ability to manufacture a vehicle with well rounded curves that doesn't look so blocky and angular.

A rounded shape holds the shape better and is more rigid than a flat if you have a thin material.

And compared to the French tin cans of the 60's and 70's we saw here in Europe the material in the Subies is pretty good.

There's more than one reason why these aren't seen around anymore:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fe/Renault-4-pula-P1050516.JPG/280px-Renault-4-pula-P1050516.JPG

453747.png

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think maybe I hit a nerve by hitting upon the real reason Subaru styling suffers. The thin sheetmetal is well known - when I had hail damage repaired the paintless dent repair guy agreed that Subarus have about the thinnest panels out there. I think it affects the ability to manufacture a vehicle with well rounded curves that doesn't look so blocky and angular.

Right on, the thinnest most easily dented sheet metal known to any mainstream automobile brand. Maybe Subaru's rationalizes this deficiency to themselves in weight savings and paring a few bucks off the cost to manufacture the car, but if that's the case, it's penny-wise and pound foolish. As MJ in PA reported, repairing paper thin cheap Subaru sheet metal is a goldmine for body shops and dent wizards.

Case in point. A few years back we had a brief summertime hailstorm pass quickly through our area. Three family cars were parked in our driveway: a Ford Mustang, a Dodge Neon ACR and our Impreza Sport Wagon. The aftermath: Mustang, unscathed; Neon ACR, unscathed; Impreza Sport Wagon, $2600 in hail ding and dent damage.

There's simply no excuse for it. None, nada, zip.

Years ago Subaru marketed their cars in the USA as 'Inexpensive, and built to stay that way'. Seems that ship sailed, or sank, into the forgotten seas of history. Subaru's AWD is great, but you give up a lot in other areas of design and engineering to get it.

- -

Granted, all cars use thin sheet metal these days, but Subarus are kind of ridiculous.

I agree MJ in PA, but would amend your statement subtly to say other manufacturers are using thinner sheet metal these days where it's use benefits the overall goal of producing a more durable, crash worthy and higher-efficiency vehicle.

The thinner gauge steels used now are all-new alloys whose properties include high strength as well as lighter weight and, when formed or stamped using exotic state-of-the-art processes, ideally offer the consumer the best of all worlds: reduced vehicle weight and increased fuel efficiency while maintaining the strength and resilience needed in the real world to protect the vehicle from damage in routine service.

- -

Sure! We should start a thread........................ :hide:

Oh I can already see how it goes:

Us: SOA please pretty please give us a GT , pretty please!!!

SOA: GTFO.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Us: Dear SOA, I really want to spend money with you on a family size car that has some fun to it, like a WRX for a grownup. I thought....

SOA: STFU and GTFO

:lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Us: I've been an enthusiast forever, I've owned Subarus for over 10 years straight, and I want my family to grow with your brand. What would you suugest in your product offerings?

SOA: Have you seen the redesigned Forester? That's what you get. Deal with it.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Us: I thought we could create a thread to talk about what we want to see in the next model.

B4:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-knpCsUjX1L8/UJWlCxN8lhI/AAAAAAAAGWk/_ODNnh5BR_4/s640/facepalm-captain-picard.jpg

I wanted to make more but after reading those it's just too good to touch again. :lol: I think I covered every F U question I could that everyone has asked SOA over the last 9 years.

When is the 50th anniversary of the legacy? 2019 I think, right? I believe that would put it in the upcoming generation. Could they possibly bring back an LGT then? Just some food for thought.

Let's see... Legacy introduced in 1989, add 50 years,....

Hmm, I don't think 2019 is quite right. The math works better for 2039.

Subaru doesn't want to overshadow the WRX by introducing the Legacy GT now, so they'll wait for the refresh, after the WRX shine starts to fade a bit.

I wanted to make more but after reading those it's just too good to touch again. :lol: I think I covered every F U question I could that everyone has asked SOA over the last 9 years.

B4 is suspiciously absent. Probably busy making voodoo doll of LegGTLT

:lol::lol::lol:

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

B4 is suspiciously absent. Probably busy making voodoo doll of LegGTLT

:lol::lol::lol:

The 2015 Legacy has been revealed. He was around to combat bad press. Now that SoA realizes nobody cares about the 2015 Legacy, they've pulled him.

Expect him to be back next time Subaru announces something else.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Archived