LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

• Moderators
That would just be one of the two temp sensors in the transmission. A thermostat in this case would regulate flow of ATF to the cooler or bypassing it. It's unlikely that there's one installed from the factory.

Here's the thermostat I'm putting in. It's the newer style Derale 13011. Shiny, shiny! :wub:

BTW, if anyone purchases one of these, clean it out first. The fittings had plenty of tiny aluminum swarf bits from machining. The thermostat body itself seemed pretty clean at least.

Yup, mine needed a bit of dusting off as well.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would just be one of the two temp sensors in the transmission. A thermostat in this case would regulate flow of ATF to the cooler or bypassing it. It's unlikely that there's one installed from the factory.

Here's the thermostat I'm putting in. It's the newer style Derale 13011. Shiny, shiny! :wub:

BTW, if anyone purchases one of these, clean it out first. The fittings had plenty of tiny aluminum swarf bits from machining. The thermostat body itself seemed pretty clean at least.

Any reason noone is using the tru-cool thermostat?

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=33873

Looks like this is it- #31237, 13,300 yen :eek: $146.15

I haven't looked to see if there's even room given USDM cars are LHD, which might be why they didn't go with that setup on the RHD cars. But that also answers some other passive questions I've had about why certain threaded bolt holes are on the trans, empty. I've re-purposed some.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Right on. What's their new purpose?

Alternative things to mount in the top-mount position. Originally a custom TMIC, which is going bye bye. Might swap that out for an air-oil cooler one day. Right now it's so low on the list of priorities.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Installed my cooler setup today. Went with the tru-cool 4452 and thermostat. Pretty easy install short of the tiny access between the h6, fan, and radiator. My hands paid a price but worth the effort. Thanks for everyone's input and opie for the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent some time reading this post and have not seen a solid confernation of flow patteren. Could someone please clarify the flow of the ATF fluid. If I missed it I apologize. Does it infact flow to the radiator before the filter?

As ClimberD stated it would be best to flow hot fluid through the filter first then through the cooler. I think Subaru was thinking that should any cooler failure take place the filter would pick up the pieces before they went into the transmission, safety.

Both options have their pros and cons to them just wondering what others were thinking about this.

Doug

• Moderators

I can say with 100% certainty that the ATF leaves the case and travels through the filter prior to the radiator. I confirmed this by unplugging hoses and starting the engine to check exactly which direction the fluid was flowing.

EDIT: it should be noted that this was on my '05. I doubt anything changed throughout the 4th gen years though.

• 4 months later...
I can say with 100% certainty that the ATF leaves the case and travels through the filter prior to the radiator. I confirmed this by unplugging hoses and starting the engine to check exactly which direction the fluid was flowing.

EDIT: it should be noted that this was on my '05. I doubt anything changed throughout the 4th gen years though.

Regarding the lines originating from the tranny: Is it the most rearward line that is carrying the hot fluid out to the filter/radiator cooler and the more forward line returning the cooled fluid?

Thanks!

• Moderators

OK, here you go. I spelled "FINISH" wrong, but what're you gonna do :lol:

I routed my setup so that the system would act as stock under normal circumstances. The Derale thermostat was set to completely open at 180*. Basically the ATF would route normally through the radiator and then to the thermostat. If temp is high enough, some or all of the fluid will pass through the thermostat and through the external cooler before going back to the transmission. When the fluid is cold the thermostat will just turn the fluid back around and send it right back to the transmission.

I wanted to include the radiator as it is because of the theory that the radiator will actually act to help cold fluid heat up a bit faster during the colder times of the year.

Hope this helps!

55360187_ATFRouting.thumb.png.fddc829aa1c37258aa0241adf5f65d76.png

• Moderators

Also, I got a couple questions from someone that I'll just address here.

One issue is whether or not having ATF "trapped" inside the cooler would cause an issue when doing flushes of the system. My answer would be no, it doesn't matter. There's somewhere around 12 qts of fluid in the system and even if you are doing a full flush where the engine pumps out the fluid you'd still be getting nearly all of the old fluid out and serving your purpose. If it really bothers you you'll be unplugging an ATF hose to do the flush anyway so just undo a couple more and reconnect temporarily as needed to bypass the thermostat to get all of the fluid out.

The other issue is ATF getting "trapped" inside the cooler for extended periods of time if the fluid doesn't ever get over 180*. Well, I don't think this matters a bit. ATF sitting in the system isn't going to go "bad". Also, you'd have to check but I believe that the thermostat is never actually 100% closed anyway so all of the ATF should be moving around a bit (come to think of it this may also make it so the fluid would be removed during a flush as well).

Basically, I don't think installing a thermostats will cause any unwanted issues. I would honestly want to confirm all this with ClimberD though, he's the 5eat guru.

OK, here you go. I spelled "FINISH" wrong, but what're you gonna do :lol:

I routed my setup so that the system would act as stock under normal circumstances. The Derale thermostat was set to completely open at 180*. Basically the ATF would route normally through the radiator and then to the thermostat. If temp is high enough, some or all of the fluid will pass through the thermostat and through the external cooler before going back to the transmission. When the fluid is cold the thermostat will just turn the fluid back around and send it right back to the transmission.

I wanted to include the radiator as it is because of the theory that the radiator will actually act to help cold fluid heat up a bit faster during the colder times of the year.

Hope this helps!

This was my exact thought is that it will help is warm up in cold circumstances but have extra cooling capacity when needed. With this set up I would also be comfortable enough to delete the radiator and upgrade to a full aluminium one.

• Moderators

Here is the thermostat installed. I had purchased the mounting bracket for it and planned to install it a bit better (was just zip tied in) but I sold the car before I got around to it and just gave the bracket to the new owner.

In the routing image I posted above I wrote "USA" on the thermostat and it literally has those exact markings as well as the arrows to indicate flow direction

DSC_0094_zps1fbf0cf4.thumb.jpg.3c5c0aa4d2bf01deaf13d8b21cdf4dad.jpg

DSC_0095_zps14832301.thumb.jpg.98279fd0b7533fe4714def5e113b4d04.jpg

Archived