LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks - 2010+ Legacy Fitment

So I happen to have one single extra Koni front strut insert that I must have purchased in my haste to find a pair. If anybody wants one single insert PM. I'll sell it for a decent deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we are

Before

998ed2a64646013ba1128e00f291d541.jpge6486c6ad67a3ea849f419104c5c18e3.jpg

After

76fdb7983dcc8cf6f9bc576696117f8d.jpg

Decided to sneak ABS wire in between upper camber bolt and a WRX oem location adapter and a secured but not tight yellow zip tie haha.

bdad17d1b5ecabb49e03798fbd6dc7a5.jpg

As seen here there is plenty of space between the lower strut perch and my winter tire setup:

245/40/18 on 18x8 +35.

As seen in pic there is about 1 1/4" of spacing

83f51093d37c22f375f30c5a895ca9ac.jpg044df89158dd8b41502b4d8e8fd02718.jpgd05c920ec112b28da9a6e63ba5211cd9.jpg

Almost forgot 3/8" spacer does not require longer studs

5ca6ef69c0cdd4cef3fd62d1cc84074f.jpg23bb590b1879276f787aea6c0c8c0b32.jpgd5b5da7d6d5521bc2083b316b95bf61b.jpg

Sitting perfectly level and of course still needs to settle in the next month or so

3753baf8d1cd77bfd182f5bd52c8cbb9.jpga39b196654d82d7b49e067e87ebf3684.jpg

One big issue though, horrible binding on initial test drive and have no idea why. When I get aligned tomorrow I'll get a better look on alignment plates. All went very smooth but at the end of the day the binding makes me sad.

The tophats had bearings and you ordered the domed washer, correct? That washer needs to go on top of the upper spring seat with the domed side up. That allows the whole strut to turn on the tophat bearing.

Also, the upper spring seat, since new, may need to break in a little to the springs shape.

Shit, I'm missing the washer, had no clue. Will order tomorrow. Thanks Tease, your a life saver for sure! Well, maybe there will be another Whit's Wed. Will give thoughts and impressions as all 4 corners have KONI love now.

I looked at the schematics the local dealer sent me via fax and wasn't too clear. I'll have to get the washers in asap, luckily I have a short drive to work. I wonder if loosening the 19mm nut on top of the strut might help to loosen some tension, prob not

If you can get to a Home Depot or a Menards or something tonight, you might be able to make things temporarily less worse with a couple of nylon washers in place of those domed washers. Obviously not a perfect (or good...) solution, but it's better than metal-on-metal.

This is the part you need, one for each side and they are identical.

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2010_Legacy25L-TURBO-6MT-4WDGT-Limited-Sedan/SPACER-FRONT-STRUT/49229587/20326AA000.html

B14_21001152.thumb.png.af231484c236af0f7ecd6a0b0c9a583d.png

Don't feel stupid. It's just as much my fault. You asked what all you needed and I didn't tell you that you needed the domed washers. It didn't occur to me that you didn't have your stock strut assemblies sitting around at least for reference. I left you flying blind.

BTW, great to hear there is plenty of tire clearance!!!!!

Sorry to thread jack but my question concerns the above replies. I have Eibach Pro Kits and I purchased KYB struts, KYB strut mounts, KYB bump stops with boots. Do I need anything else to mount these without having to separate my stock struts. I saw you mention the washers above. I basically want to unbolt my stock suspension completely intact and just bolt up new assemblies. Thanks for any assistance.

Sorry to thread jack but my question concerns the above replies. I have Eibach Pro Kits and I purchased KYB struts, KYB strut mounts, KYB bump stops with boots. Do I need anything else to mount these without having to separate my stock struts. I saw you mention the washers above. I basically want to unbolt my stock suspension completely intact and just bolt up new assemblies. Thanks for any assistance.

You need the top hat, rubber isolator and washer. In greaser picture, those are the three peieces between the strut mount and dust boot.

You need the bump stop and upper spring seat also.

Just for some further reference rear suspension here https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/auto-parts/2012/subaru/legacy/3-6r-premium-trim/3-6l-h6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/struts-and-components-scat

Front suspension here https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/auto-parts/2012/subaru/legacy/3-6r-premium-trim/3-6l-h6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/suspension-components-scat

Take note that the diagrams have some items that are Outback only and Legacy specific.

Edited by DugsSin

Well, Whits We'd it is, Subaru had to order in washers for tomorrow so I'll have to wait till wed to remove struts from car and install washers. I took it very easy today driving to work taking wide corners to prevent binding which went quite well. I looked drunk but luckily not many on the road at 6am.

!! ATTENTION !!

After speaking with the North American Product Manager at Koni a few weeks ago, Koni is interested in taking a look at producing full front struts (Koni Yellows) specifically for the 2010-2014 Legacy. In order to do so, they need a set of our OEM front struts, both left and right, and 1 rear to confirm that their 8010-1055S will work for us, something we already know. Koni does not have budget to just go and buy new OEM struts and they are hoping that the community can assist them.

I need to find someone who has their OEM suspension sitting around that would be willing to donate both front struts and one rear to this cause. Koni does not need springs or tophats. Koni is willing to pay the shipping from wherever you are, to their facility here in the US. They will forward them on to their design and manufacturing facility in Germany.

Please PM me ASAP if you are willing to help.

I'm gonna keep this here for now,easier to track. I already asked GolferDude to take down his post about the Koni's over there on the FB group. I can control everything better from here and I don't want to get hopes up or have rumors floating around. Plus, the Koni guys is plugged into this thread and he is a member here.