LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks - 2010+ Legacy Fitment

^ My line on the use OEM donor struts just fell thru, he didn't want to ship from the midwest to CA. Fifth Gen Legacy FB group guy that doesn't understand the "greater good" concept of the community.

yea that really sucks. wasnt there a guy from KS in the fb group who was looking to unload his oem front struts?

^ all international. GTEASER says to wait, so wait I will.

yea I saw a set on ebay from germany. same part number, came out to about $350 shipped

^ My line on the use OEM donor struts just fell thru, he didn't want to ship from the midwest to CA. Fifth Gen Legacy FB group guy that doesn't understand the "greater good" concept of the community.

yea that really sucks. wasnt there a guy from KS in the fb group who was looking to unload his oem front struts?

^ all international. GTEASER says to wait, so wait I will.

yea I saw a set on ebay from germany. same part number, came out to about $350 shipped

^Even less than that. I just last week purchased KYB donor struts, and all 4 top hats, and my total was under $300 shipped. The KYB struts are $61.79 per strut, so less than $125 for both before shipping. The part numbers for the two you would need are 339222 and 339223. And remember, you only need the fronts for donors. You can find them both here from RockAuto:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2012,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1503311,suspension,strut,7584

Edit: there's also almost always a 5% off RockAuto coupon if you google it. Just did, and right now it's MMAIL6. So even less. :)

^Even less than that. I just last week purchased KYB donor struts, and all 4 top hats, and my total was under $300 shipped. The KYB struts are $61.79 per strut, so less than $125 for both before shipping. The part numbers for the two you would need are 339222 and 339223. And remember, you only need the fronts for donors. You can find them both here from RockAuto:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2012,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1503311,suspension,strut,7584

Edit: there's also almost always a 5% off RockAuto coupon if you google it. Just did, and right now it's MMAIL6. So even less. :)

Guys, you WILL NOT find Inserts anywhere!! I repeat, you will not find inserts anywhere unless KONI decides to release them again. Mrstacy, just order WRX front and rear struts/shocks and front 5/8" spacers from Anderson Design Fabrication with H&R 3.6r springs and be completely happy!!

Along with necessary hardware, top hats, insulators, dust boots etc.. if you don't have your oem strut assemblies

Edited by wrxwhit

ATTENTION!!! Koni NA has ordered a batch of inserts to be made for us by the Netherlands manufacturing facility. And they were re-added to the US parts catalog. Should be in the US in the next few months.

Until Legacy specific struts have been developed, tested and produced, the inserts are still the best and least expensive solution for us, but if you absolutely can't wait, the 08-10 WRX will work with the added expense of tophat spacers.

Edited by GTEASER

Guys, you WILL NOT find Inserts anywhere!! I repeat, you will not find inserts anywhere unless KONI decides to release them again. Mrstacy, just order WRX front and rear struts/shocks and front 5/8" spacers from Anderson Design Fabrication with H&R 3.6r springs and be completely happy!!

Along with necessary hardware, top hats, insulators, dust boots etc.. if you don't have your oem strut assemblies

You mean 3/8, right? Also, can you give part numbers of everything needed. I have the dome washers - 20326AA000 .

Attention!!!

....but don't get too excited just yet....

Koni is telling me that the front inserts they make for the 05-09 Legacy (8610-1447S) are physically identical to the WRX ones (8610-1453S) that we have been using, with the only difference being slightly stiffer damping rates in the 1447 unit which they feel will suit our 10-14 Legacy's better than the 1453 units we have be using.

I just received a set of 8610-1447S front inserts today, and I have one 8610-1453S insert on the way which should be here next Tuesday. I will directly compare and measure them, body dimensions as well as full compression length and full extension length to verify what Koni is telling me.

I am hoping this can be our solution. Koni is in the process of changing their product listing for the 1447S to include 10-14 Legacy fitment. They do not anticipate discontinuing these for a long time.

Also, I think they have verified that the 8010-1055S rear shock is a direct replacement for us (we know it is) and am following up with them to add the 10-14 Legacy in their product listing for that shock.

Hold tight guys....I will be comparing the 8610-1447S to the 8610-1453S in a few days and if everything goes smoothly and looks good, we can start doing Koni inserts again. Woot!!!!

bd9529f14fcaa74d6e6483835d679ab8.jpg

Edited by GTEASER

I can't say for sure without overlaying shock dyno charts or something, but I get the feeling that the two will be pretty similar over the majority of the adjustment range. The 1453's will be able to go a little softer, and the 1447's will be able to go a little stiffer, but there should be plenty of overlap.