LegacyGT.com

Official: UT Newb thread (post your questions, previously asked, many times, here)

doccrowley

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, the search option is giving me a Server Error at school. Anyways, noob question, what oil does Subaru not chug? I've heard 5w40 or thick oils Subaru doesn't like to drink as much. I've heard AMSoil is pretty good for Subies, I use full Mobil 1 Synthetic and it drinks it like Lindsey Lohan and alcohol.

I use Mobil 1 5w-30. I get it in mass quantities from Costco, so I don't mind having to top off. I usually have to add a quart between oil changes on my Outback.

Amsoil is good but expensive and you shouldn't waste your money on it for your car. Just run Mobil. Are you burning oil?

You really should at least try searching the forum. :lol:

Hey it was an honest good excuse, I really couldn't look it up! I get free top offs as much as I want with synthetic Mobil 1 at Batemans over here in West Jordan, I don't mind having to top it off it's just scary.

I only really smell the burning oil when I drive at 75-80mph all the way from West Jordan to Orem. That's about it.

Another noob question, what can I do to make my idle sound better? Mine sounds weird, where does that strange tick noise come from, (I had it on my F-150 before this) and it sounds like some of the belt pulley's are squeaking lightly while at idle. Any sort of lube I could use? I don't know if WD-40 would be good to put on near the belts, any tricks for making idle sound less... Well... N/A like?

EDIT: Loud exhaust is coming once I get my headers so eh,

Hey it was an honest good excuse, I really couldn't look it up! I get free top offs as much as I want with synthetic Mobil 1 at Batemans over here in West Jordan, I don't mind having to top it off it's just scary.

I only really smell the burning oil when I drive at 75-80mph all the way from West Jordan to Orem. That's about it.

Another noob question, what can I do to make my idle sound better? Mine sounds weird, where does that strange tick noise come from, (I had it on my F-150 before this) and it sounds like some of the belt pulley's are squeaking lightly while at idle. Any sort of lube I could use? I don't know if WD-40 would be good to put on near the belts, any tricks for making idle sound less... Well... N/A like?

EDIT: Loud exhaust is coming once I get my headers so eh,

My LGT had a fair amount of engine chatter at idle. I think it's just the nature of the boxer engine or something. I just learned to live with it. Exhaust helped too :cool:

Sean you've heard the thing run at idle, but I don't think it's as loud as a lifter tick honestly. Exhaust leak could be what is going on, might fix that with the new headers? I know Subies have a different idle but it's weird, I was looking it up and it's one of those "Unsolved mysteries" things. Might have to live with it.

About the belt noise, anything I could do on that? Maybe wash out my engine bay it's a bit dirty.

im running a PTP turbo blanket, and a cobb heatshield just to keep heat down, although i am a lil OCD about getting heat out of my engine bay

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

• 1 year later...
Recommended Synthetic oil ...and GO

I went with what most people say to run on this forum... rotella t6 5w-40.

I got 2 gallons @ 21$ each (more than enough)

and a Purolator filter for like 10$

just switched it over from whatever valvoline juice they put in it at the dealership, now it's time to wait and see how it works out long term

Yeah that's what I figured, just thought I'd ask the locals in case there was a difference in opinion. It saves a few bucks compared to a shop doing it and now that I don't get heavily discounted one's at the dealership I got the car from I'll definitely be doing it myself. The filter can't be any harder to replace than a 99 miatas. that thing was a pain.

Archived