LegacyGT.com

Official: UT Newb thread (post your questions, previously asked, many times, here)

doccrowley

Registration question, who runs a Catless DP and have you had issues with emissions? I know it depends on the county, I'm registered in Davis.

While in California I'm keeping my Utah registration, going to come back during the 4th of July weekend and get it redone early so I'm set for a while.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Registration question, who runs a Catless DP and have you had issues with emissions? I know it depends on the county, I'm registered in Davis.

While in California I'm keeping my Utah registration, going to come back during the 4th of July weekend and get it redone early so I'm set for a while.

Jiffy Lube Bountiful. My experience says they loves some sweet Subaru's and I passed catless 2 years and passed with a CNT modded catted DP another 2 years or so. Even matched coupons for me each time!

Or you can PM me and I'll tell you of another shop in Layton that likely will pass anything without a light on....

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone with the catted COBB dp know of a good place to get emissions done? I've never had a problem with my setup before, but when I took it to the Jiffy Lube I usually go to they didn't pass it this time. They even claimed I didn't have a cat on it amazingly enough.

They even claimed I didn't have a cat on it amazingly enough.
:eek: Maybe they were looking in the engine bay at the spot just down from the o2 bung where many aftermarket dp cats are located. On the Cobb I believe it's located at the other end of the pipe which would be way under the car and not visible from under the hood. That's the only thing I can think of and if that's the only reason they failed you, I'd go back and show them the cat.

:eek: Maybe they were looking in the engine bay at the spot just down from the o2 bung where many aftermarket dp cats are located. On the Cobb I believe it's located at the other end of the pipe which would be way under the car and not visible from under the hood. That's the only thing I can think of and if that's the only reason they failed you, I'd go back and show them the cat.

Just got back. They said it is "too small".

Well now they are clearly just being ass wads because they know they were too dumb to see it the first time and you called them on it. I'd really like to see the law that requires your cat to be a certain size! You roll the dice a bit with aftermarket parts of course but most places won't hassle you that bad.

I do. I'm going to try the health department's testing center first. I gave them a call and told them what I was told. The operator replied, "What the? Why do they keep...ugh. Ok, yeah I can set up an appointment for us to test your car." My guess is that the testing computers were updated with info that isn't exactly in line with what the health department cares about.

Nice. But wasn't it the visual "safety" inspection that you were failed for? Or did they find some issue with your OBD check? As far as I know, there are no sniffer tests being done around here so as long as your tune is good and you don't have any pending codes, you should not have any OBD related issues that they could detect. I wonder if the health dept. will do an actual sniffer test to evaluate the exhaust emissions and pass/fail you based on that. Keep us posted.

That's kind of ridiculous. Might as well go with a catless downpipe.

Ha ha, I was actually thinking that. Anyone want to trade for a catted COBB DP? ;)

Ugh, hate going back to the stock DP though. Its like perpetually being stuck in "I" mode.

Ha ha, I was actually thinking that. Anyone want to trade for a catted COBB DP? ;)

Ugh, hate going back to the stock DP though. Its like perpetually being stuck in "I" mode.

I imagine they would pass you with a gutted stocker too, if you can find one and assuming obd2 passed.

Well that's a bit disconcerting to hear. I'll be making a short trip back to Utah in the late summer to renew registration and what not. I'll take it to my old Supply sergeant first I guess, he owns a shop and if he's not willing to let the catless slide assuming it passes emissions then I'll be putting the stock back on.

Will a boost leak trigger a check engine light? On a low rpm pull my car does not pull solid like it should it putters during the pull. On full throttle pulls sometimes my boost gauge reads 9psi, other times 12-13psi. I'm on a stock tune with only exhaust. I just got it back from the dealership for a CEL light it was running lean due to the clamp on the turbo intake was loose.

Any ideas? Trying to get her to throw another CEL so I can take her back to the dealership.

Archived