LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Shimano SPD's are pretty much the go-to around here

That's what I've been using for the past 6 years. I love them. Clip-ins are the way to go in my opinion especially if you do very technical trails (e.g. slickrock in Moab), as they help you keep your momentum a little better than regular pedals in very steep sections.

Inching a bit closer to pulling the trigger on a '13 SB66. Anyone have any time on its competitors?

That bike is sick..... And on my short list. I'm still waiting on my damn free hub to show up. We have had a lot of rain this year so between that and repairs I haven't gotten out much. My wife is ready to kill me:lol:

The only thing(s) I don't like about it so far is that the front brake sucks, it works but its not grabby enough for me. That and the pedals suck, my feet slide around every once in a while. Might have to swing by my LBS and check out some platform pedals.

My guess is your front brakes need to bled (assuming they are hydraulic) either that or maybe some new pads. Both are super easy to do.

As far as the pedals are concerned I personally go with platform pedals. I have a set of clip in's but I find for the stuff I like to get into (rocky, fast, downhill) I feel more comfortable having my feet unclipped. If your riding easy single track clip in's might be the better bet just to get that extra dig. If you buy a set of good platforms they will provide pretty damn good grip though. I'm currently looking at getting some new pedals, possibly the crank brothers 50/50 pedal. I liked them when I rode them on my friends bike but they seem to get mixed reviews online.

That bike is sick..... And on my short list. I'm still waiting on my damn free hub to show up. We have had a lot of rain this year so between that and repairs I haven't gotten out much. My wife is ready to kill me:lol:

Wife will be wanting to kill me in ...3...2...1. Should have it by Friday, pics to follow.

Spent some time on the new bike, and while its great, I've developed some serious medial knee pain. I think the culprit is the relatively slack seat tube, so I've moved it forward on the rails in an attempt to realign my hip, knee, and foot. Anything else I should be looking at? Cleat positioning seems fine, or at least it's the same I've been riding for years.

As far as the pain...I've no clue. Plica? Anyone else deal with this kind of thing?

Hello all, just came across this thread, unfortunately Ill be off the saddle for a few months as I have a torn rotator cuff.

In related news, one of my buddys is on his way from Denver, CO to Lake Tahoe on his custom Moots. Looks like a super sweet bike.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a mountain bike noob and I bought a used 2012 Kona Kahuna last week. 29er hardtail. I had my first singletrack experience this weekend and I loved it. We did 15 miles with 1.4k feet of climb and my legs were destroyed. Totally puts it into perspective now. Props to those of you who do this in real mountains :lol:

I am really pleased with my enduro sx frame. I really beat the crap out of it with my multiple trips to Moab. It has never failed.

However, can't say the same thing of my 'old school' 01 specialized stumpjumper fsr frame. Broke the chainstay twice!!

• 4 weeks later...

It's been just under a month since the last post so I should be okay. :lol:

'07 Kona Explosif with a Fox Float 80RL. I switched back to my cheap BWW wheelset after some issues with my Hope Hoops... really missing those Hope hubs.

With pedals, I'm right around 25lb... if only I could weight-weenie myself... :rolleyes:

1147586_694166280599566_406801237_o.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Going to pick up a almost new 2011 FSR CF PRO to replace my aging, but still fun as hell to ride '06 FSR Comp. Any one have any thoughts about the FACT CF frames from Specialized? Also, should I continue to ride the 26ers or think about moving on to 29ners?

Winning the internet

I have a giant reign 2 26er and also a specialized hard rock 29er. I personally like both wheel sizes for different areas. When I go to more of a dh riding area I like the reign. But if it's more rooty and long flat rides I will bring the hard Rock out. 26er are Def more agile around turns and tight areas. Ground clearance on the 29er is awesome. Here is my reign 2http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/02/e4u5a3uh.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would rock a 26er for that riding personally. Def take a 29er for a spin to see how you like it. Everyone is diff. When I took my reign out for the 1st time I beat my personal strava times from my 29er bike with no extra effort. Just flowed better imo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk