LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Very nice. Which trails are they going to ride?

Yeah. I love riding on slickrock, and man the views... I never get tired of it.

I've seen pics and the views are amaaaazing, but not sure where they ride specifically.. Flat Tire Co. Bike Shop, couple cousins and good friends in the group if you run into them.

^ 100% humidity there vs 0% over here!

29er looks like? Must be quite easy to ride then compared to mine at least (26 still).

Oh I live in Florida! We were at a few thousand feet of elevation so the humidity was very low. The weather was in the 70’s and everything felt so nice. As soon as we started getting bad to Florida (drove) the swamp ass was in full effect!

Winter is the best time in Florida. But the heat and humidity makes you a stronger rider.

29’er Niner Jet 9 RDO. I love that bike.

---

• 3 weeks later...

That's awesome.

Two days ago, I hit a trail where I gained 900 ft elevation going uphill. Turned around to enjoy an exhilarating DH ride, only to get a pinch flat 2 freakin minutes after I started going downhill. Man that sucked! :mad: (didn't carry any tool -- I don't like carrying a backpack).

• 10 months later...

Let's bump this thread again!

No pics to show at this time, but still riding my 45lbs 2010 SX trail. Finally converted my rear wheel to tubeless. Maxxis tubeless tire with a non-tubeless rim. Been holding air for a couple of months now. Pretty happy with it. No pinch flats so far! Used muc off sealant.

• Like 1

Actually just bought my daughter and wife beginner MTB's.  The Divide is my 9year olds first "real" bike.  The Tempt is my wifes.  Considering purchasing one for myself as well.  It has been over 30 years since I rode 2 wheels without an internal combustion engine.  Maybe some "exercise" is in order.  We have reservations at Capacon Resort State Park (camping in a cabin) this weekend so the "girls" can test out their new wheels on something other than asphalt. 

22_dividestepover_riptide.png

MY21Tempt4_Color_BTeal.jpg

• Like 2

Great family activity!

Went camping close to Bryce canyon national park this past weekend. Brought all the bikes too. 3 bikes, a yakima skybox, an ARB awning on our outback roof. 2 small bikes in the trunk, a fridge, kitchenette, tools, 12" sub and random stuff.

Poor little subie :spin:. I need to get a little trailer.

• Thanks 1

I distribute the weight pretty evenly. So the car does not appear to squat at all and handles pretty good actually. It does help that I have those Bilstein BTS shocks paired with 500 lbs/in rear coil spring rate. Mileage sucks bad though. 14-16 mpg @ 80 mph. Too much crap on the roof.

I am soooooo out of shape. It's been 6.5 hours and 3 beers and my legs are still on fire.  Why must you pedal up the hill in order to go down the hill?  Even skiers use a lift. 

I must admit, you can get a rhythm, stay loose and low like your on a horse and it is very close to a mx bike when riding hard. I found myself turning rhythm "whoop" sections into rhythm double jumps and sending large rooster tails of loose dirt skyward in turns.   My daughter was in awe. My wife was not impressed and brought up all the racing wrecks from 20+ years ago. 

LOL.  Too much pride to ride an e-bike.  Either its a motorcycle or not.  I would be riding a motorcycle is funds and wife allowed.  Thats what I raced.

My mind says my body could be shaped like a Greek God or a hexagon and I could still crash on the way down.  When I was privateering (before getting picked up for a full sponsorship) my nickname was Crash Bandacoot.  No risk, no reward. 

Either way, the family had fun and the wife wants to return.  So, I will probably visit the bike shop next week and put down some money on a bike for myself (I was riding a loaner).  Guess I need to work on my legs and core strength as well as my cardio. 

• Haha 1

I will not be buying an e-bike.  I will be selling a firearm to cover the cost of a new Bike.  I estimate my budget in the $800 range.  Trading one toy for another.  Looking at a Giant Talon 2 now (admittedly I have short legs and arms, so I am struggling a bit with frame sizes looking for a fit that feels right).  Taking a hit to the ego and looking at small frames now.

• 2 weeks later...

It is available in 29.  I am too short. I chose a 27.5 model. Rather be able to whip it around then have the bike handle me.   I am basically between two sizes, and decided to go down rather than up. Felt more natural. 

Might take advantage of the fork upgrade program and upgrade my fork. Then install my original fork in the wife's bike and the wife's original fork in the daughter's bike. 3 upgrades for 1.

Most likely a Suntour Raidon or Epixon.  Nothing special, still low end beginner parts.  But an air spring with rebound adjust over a coil spring with preload only.  

Going to swap the daughters stem and bars too. I see that as she grows I will need to make slight changes to the "cockpit" geometry. 

14 hours ago, m sprank said:

It is available in 29.  I am too short. I chose a 27.5 model. Rather be able to whip it around then have the bike handle me.   I am basically between two sizes, and decided to go down rather than up. Felt more natural. 

Might take advantage of the fork upgrade program and upgrade my fork. Then install my original fork in the wife's bike and the wife's original fork in the daughter's bike. 3 upgrades for 1.

How tall are you? I am 5'6" and all my bikes are 29" small. The gravel bike is medium actually.

---

I am 5'8" on a good day.  Riding inseam is 30.5".  I have short arms as well.  Standover height on a medium 27.5" is 29.4" and on a small 29" it is 28.8".  I want at least 2" of clearance as hitting my pelvic bone is not what I am looking for.  Not to mention that hitting my pelvic bone happens long after crushing my jewels.  It is uncomfortable just mounting a bike that tall. 

Reach was not as issue on the small 29er, however it was on the medium 27.5".  The small 29er put the seat tube a little higher than I prefer but the medium 27.5 was a few inches longer.  Spoke with the LBS owner about modifying the "cockpit" to fit me, but that just added more expanse than I wanted and the 29" just seems to be the "new" craze.  I am far more familiar with BMX than I am with MTB.  Jumping from 20" bikes of my youth to the 27.5" feels huge already. 

I test rode a large frame 29er for 2 days last weekend and it beat the ever loving snot out of me.  WAY too tall and imho the front end was far to "twitchy" for me.  Great for high speed and rolling over large gaps, but sh*t for everything else.  Not to mention I could not lean the bike enough to turn properly as the gap in my legs was not enough to clear the frame.  In the rollers the seat slammed my arse even with it dropped all the way down. 

I test rode the small frame 27.5" and it fit like a glove.  Not an ego boost, but I have never been tall and am not a large man (140-150lbs these days).  Balance is perfect, I can achieve enough speed and I can whip the tail hard and scrape peddles turning.  If I was 20 years younger I would go all out.  At my age the mind says I can do more than the body will cooperate with.

• 1 month later...

Been riding every weekend.  An occasional late afternoon short ride as well.  Me being me....  I now know why they say "buy a bike not parts".  Parts are far more expensive purchased retail than the bike as a whole.  My hands have blisters and my knuckles are busted up.  Its been too long, I love turning wrenches. 

No pix yet as I am not done yet.  Three bikes to modify. 

So far...  on my Talon 2 I have replaced the forks with SR Suntour Epixon (air fork 120mm travel).  New 40mm stem (original is 50mm). The drive train has been replaced with a Microshift AdventX 11-48 10speed with a 30t front ring.  Pedals are now OneUp composite and PNW Loam XL grips.  I have a SR Suntour crank set on the way, shortening the arms (160mm) going Hollowtech II.  I would like a PNW Loam dropper in the future. 

On my wifes Tempt 4 I have replaced the forks with the take offs from my bike.  The drive train has been replaced with the MIcroshift Advent 11-42 9speed set up off my bike.  In order to accomplish that I had to replace her rear hub with a Shimano Deore HG free hub (the bike had a freewheel hug originally).  First time I have strung a spoke wheel and trued it.  Time consuming.  Crank set replaced with an SR Suntour with shorter arms (152mm, 32t chain ring) and hollowtech design and bottom bracket.   Front derailleur is GONE!!!  Thinking of upgrading her pedals to RaceFace Chester and some Loam grips as well.  Her decision there.  See also likes the Loam dropper post as a future upgrade. 

Daughters bike has new forks (takeoffs from my wifes bike), new 40mm stem, new Giant bars, Loam grips, Liv saddle, PNW Range composite pedals.  New drive train and Tektro brake levers are sitting on my tool box.  Microshift Advent 11-42 9 speed.  SR Suntour crank set (152mm) with 30t chain ring is on the way.  I will need to purchase and replace her rear hub with the same Shimano as my wifes, for the exact same reason (currently freewheel, not free hub).  She would also like a dropper post, but I am not sure about internal cable routing on her frame so I need to investigate still. 

If it can be modded to better suit me, I mod it. 

Its 70deg and sunny.  Daughter says time to go for a ride. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress.  Its modding, so it never ends.  But a LOT has been accomplished.  The bikes ride soooo much better than they did stock.  It will be mainly cosmetic from here as to get much better, you need a better frame to start with. 

Giant Talon 2 (2021)20221030_111803.thumb.jpg.722a55a30872bd2f16e7f3bc14b6e72d.jpg

20221030_111831.thumb.jpg.d198cd79367b56f986c4354bf8a4e838.jpg

Liv Tempt 4 (2021)

20221030_112056.thumb.jpg.d41ad0c4e3edd4b15fccce5332cdcf4f.jpg20221030_112118.thumb.jpg.8b2fc43ee7a2ae443cda44c18d2a4c53.jpg

Jamis Divide S/O (2022)20221030_111927.thumb.jpg.c9fa96bb209508b643e0f7f03fe27dfb.jpg

20221030_112001.thumb.jpg.a6c9c1e5879e33c7afe2d211e61cc7e2.jpg

• Like 2