LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

I do love the Chisel, i've been looking at it pretty hard. But just like with everything else its not the right time. When i'm ready it will be between that, the F-Si Carbon and maybe even a lightly used Highball Carbon if I can find one for relatively cheap.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
MTBwrench, thoughts on the Trek Stache?
I almost bought one a few years back, actually. Excellent bike, very playful and fun. I'd definitely recommend it. You have to like the "monster truck BMX bike" feeling though, because it definitely has it! I only decided against because I'm more of a steep head tube, long top tube, low BB fan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Guess I should ride one. I am a VP Free with 8 inches of travel and a cheap Iron horse hardtail with 26ers.

Any other bikes in that vein I should be considering?

For a 29er id go F-Si at a decent price. Depending how much you are looking to spend, felt makes a really nice hardtail also. I'm partial to Santa Cruz and love the chameleon but can't afford anything right now anyway.

8 inch of travel :wub:

I am still using my 10+ years old Marzocchi 66. Zero issue still and it went through tons of Moab type stuff. Love that thing even though it is considered 'old school' now :rolleyes:

Edited by xt2005bonbon

I went to Ray's MTB on Tuesday... Their new pump track is awesome. My 4 friends and I decided to race (what else do 5 dudes on bikes do) and coming to finish my lap, my front tire washed out and I took a header into a short knee wall. If I didn't have a full face helmet on (a must at Ray's imo), I'd most definitely be missing half a mouth of teeth.

The breathing hole in the mouth bar on my helmet met the top ledge corner of the knee wall as I fell and cracked a couple plastic trim clips on my helmet.

$75 well spent to avoid $xxxx in dental surgery. Ride safe everyone.

Edit: mouth hole hit that top right carpet corner toward the track at a pretty good pace

IMG_20180327_191026.thumb.jpg.853e4dd2d423dfe235a4ee34dfe98560.jpg

Edited by baconbits

I went to Ray's MTB on Tuesday... Their new pump track is awesome. My 4 friends and I decided to race (what else do 5 dudes on bikes do) and coming to finish my lap, my front tire washed out and I took a header into a short knee wall. If I didn't have a full face helmet on (a must at Ray's imo), I'd most definitely be missing half a mouth of teeth.

The breathing hole in the mouth bar on my helmet met the top ledge corner of the knee wall as I fell and cracked a couple plastic trim clips on my helmet.

$75 well spent to avoid $xxxx in dental surgery. Ride safe everyone.

Edit: mouth hole hit that top right carpet corner toward the track at a pretty good pace

Is it still ice and snow outdoors considering the indoor track?

453747.png

Holy crap! :eek:

That must still hurt though!

My back kind of "scorpioned" a bit... neck and back were pretty sore for a couple days but I'll take that over missing teeth 100% of the time.

My full face has saved me so many times. I sort of can't believe I ever bike without it. But you know I don't want to be a nerd.

I generally don't ride city streets with a helmet but any dirt trails or Ray's, I absolutely ride with a full face. This is the first time the face bit has come into it but I've definitely had a couple hard head knocks with it too.

Is it still ice and snow outdoors considering the indoor track?

We're pretty consistently in the mid 40s during the day but it's way too wet and muddy to ride dirt trails yet.

Same here as well. Wet, rainy, and still chilly.

But I'm okay with that, I need a new 42t chainring for my XX cranks on the XC bike, and the biq squish bike definitely needs a bottom bracket and fork seals... all of which I still have yet to acquire.

Now that I'm no longer full time at the shop, and working full weeks with school, it's pretty hard to really have time for anything, and it sucks. Looking forward to a dry summer though!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

If you knew the number of 'projects' I have on my 'waiting list' for like the past two years now....

But that's OK. Kids grow up too fast and they need daddy's time. At least, I try my best to include them whenever I work on one of my 'projects'.

I got a bike trailer this weekend to at least bring my kid with me on easy rides. It's been too long since I biked. Which also made me re-realize that I really want a replacement for my 2005 Iron Horse hardtail. I need better tires for pavement. These suck.

19QNUr0.jpg

Which made me circle through steel 29er? steel 27+? 29er full suspension? No idea what I want. I have been riding squishy bikes since I was 13 and I think I "prefer" squish. But that also might be because I haven't ridden a good hardtail.

There is a Santa Cruz demo near me this weekend. I figure I'll go ride a Tallboy. See what these modern 29ers are all about (although, I have never ridden a 29er and only one 27.5 once)

Edited by Rhitter

I got a bike trailer this weekend to at least bring my kid with me on easy rides.

I bought one four years ago with suspension :cool:. Since it is a pretty narrow trailer, I used it on some medium technical trails and single tracks :spin:. The kid loved it. Now he's grown up and currently rides a specialized hotrock I got for 15$ at a 2nd hand store!! He loves it and rides on the trails with me, while the second kid is in the trailer.

Problem is the hotrock frame is purple :lol:. So we're gonna have a father and son project where we'll plastidip his frame with the color of his choice.

side note: I use an 'old' giant hard tail bike, that I put together a long time ago, with the trailer not my FS bike.

I've been going back and forth with what I want to buy next too. I keep thinking about converting my 2007 Kona Explosif to a single speed for around town stuff but what would I replace it with for trails and then what would I ride for fitness... do I get a road bike and a full squish? Or keep the Kona with 1x9 for fitness riding and get a full squish? Kona for trails, road bike for fitness?

Carbon? Aluminum? I need more disposable income.