LegacyGT.com

The Goals Thread

Clips add some serious benefit to your ride. You can get a cheap tri suit too... Shaves a good chunk of time off your transition. Read some online tips on transitions. Use a towel on the ground and have a chamoi handy to dry off your feet quicker. I never did the swim as I can't swim for shit, so I would relay it with another person on my team. My wife did the full events though. It's super fun. Better than a 5k, but a ton more prep.

It's addicting. You'll have a wet suit by the end of summer :lol:

The pedals in which you "clip" into are actually called clipless pedals--yeah makes perfect sense. :spin:

But as JJ said they do add some serious effiency/benefit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My used bike actually came with clipless pedals and original pedals, so all I need are the shoes. I'm trying to not set myself up for failure... so we'll see how far I go in the next 6 months. First step, swimming freestyle for the whole run. Second step, pedals. Not worried about a tri suit.... Bathing suit, then added shorts/tops for transition. If I decide to do it again, I'll add more gear. But I get it!!! Thanks for all the input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was also going to mention that people are too polite when you're fat. I'm still dieting and losing weight and nearing my target - would like to hit by June but likely will be September :) Anyway, I've gotten great compliments from people I meet who haven't seen me in a year or so, which is encouraging and nice to hear. But before I started dieting I told anyone who'd listen but many, including family, would say stuff like, "Oh, you're not *that* overweight", "You'd be fine at 210lbs", "You don't want to look skinny and *unhealthy*", "Oh, you're just big-boned". What a load of crap! I'm 6ft and I should be no heavier than 183lbs as per Health Canada, WebMD or any other reputable site.

Was also going to mention that people are too polite when you're fat. I'm still dieting and losing weight and nearing my target - would like to hit by June but likely will be September :) Anyway, I've gotten great compliments from people I meet who haven't seen me in a year or so, which is encouraging and nice to hear. But before I started dieting I told anyone who'd listen but many, including family, would say stuff like, "Oh, you're not *that* overweight", "You'd be fine at 210lbs", "You don't want to look skinny and *unhealthy*", "Oh, you're just big-boned". What a load of crap! I'm 6ft and I should be no heavier than 183lbs as per Health Canada, WebMD or any other reputable site.

I hate when my family does that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 months later...

55 down. It is slow going now. Tonight, I walked just over 3 miles and biked just over 10. In 10 days doing a 27 mile bike charity ride. Sprint tri in July. I'm tired!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great work JJ!

I had a mishap on the bike back in Nov., was a slow process getting back. I've mainly been focusing on cycling-have the BP MS150 charity ride this weekend. 2 day ride from Houston to Austin ~90 miles day 1 and another 75 day 2. A small group of us are contemplating riding all the way to Austin (city limits) day 1 which would be about 140mi [emoji50]. Should have favorable winds to help us along.

Im excited to get back to weights after this ride, lost quite a bit of muscle mass during my hiatus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work JJ!

A small group of us are contemplating riding all the way to Austin (city limits) day 1 which would be about 140mi [emoji50]. Should have favorable winds to help us

That's awesome! Puts my silly 27 miles to shame. Good luck! And pedal hard!

My current goals and program:

Doing Starting Strength (more or less as I haven't cut out all cardio... I like to swim).

Want to achieve:

1.) Squat up to 405-415. Currently at 295, 2 weeks in.

2.) Deadlift up to 500. Currently pulling 315.

3.) Bench up to 300-315. Currently at 245. I don't train this much to be honest.

4.) Chin ups to 20 consecutive reps, currently run out of gas at 16-17 depending on the day but I weight 235 (not proud of that....).

5.) Still figuring out overhead press. Will assess realistic goal once I get the movement down. Same for power cleans. Currently working low weight working on form.

The fact that you can do 16 pull ups at 235 pounds is pretty awesome man. You already have a good amount of upper body. It's funny watching 'big dudes' at the gym. They usually have a hard time doing more than 6-7. Smaller dudes like me typically have an easier time with the pull ups (not me currently lol).

Thanks. I'm 38, and not sure my recovery is strong enough for a 5X5 program. Might try it though.

i know what you mean. I'm a bit older, and my first time through, I was feeling like I couldn't recover from the squats fast enough once they got heavy. Was also on a cut. Then life interrupted and I lost my workout time.

I recently picked it up again, but I started at pathetic weight numbers, so I am still working my way up slowly, but with maintenance calories this time. I never did heavy weights in the past though, so I have no muscle memory to pull from and am an ectomorph when i'm not over eating. My heaviest squat previously was 155, heaviest DL was 195. I'm at 135 squat, now, so I'll be challenging that 155 soon.

So with SL, the app or his spreadsheet will guide you to start light so you can focus on form work your way up with time to recover.

"Start light so your body can get used to Squatting, pressing and pulling three times a week. If you’ve done these exercises before, with proper form, start with 50% of your five rep max."

I think that dropping way back "so your body can get used to 3x a week" is key.

I'm pretty happy so far with the Mark Rippetoe method, but once I am past the progress of a beginner it will be time to consider a different progression program. Right now I am able to add 5-10lbs to each session. Eventually I will hit a wall and have to take smaller steps on progressive loading.

He's the man. My buddy has read SS twice, and we've compared Rippetoe vs the SL5x5 form for all the SL lifts. They are 90-99% in sync. I think OHP is the only significant difference.

My squat form comes from Rippetoe via this video:

Otherwise, I follow the SL form.

57 down. Under 200 for the first time since sometime in 2001. I too need to start strength training. Completed the 28 mile ride this morning. 1200 feet of elevation gain almost did me in, but i didn't walk once. Pretty proud. Now, time for a nap.

Archived