The Goals Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hang in there mang. This time of year is always hard. You've had great results so far, and the hard work has been worth it. It takes times, there's peaks and valleys. Just think of how much healthier you already are, and remember that you've gained muscle! The scale doesn't tell you that, but you know it's there.

Really it's all good stuff. Even if you pigged out here until new years, you'd still have that muscle mass you've been accumulating. THAT is a result. If you can keep active once a week, you'll hold onto that practically forever. So having said that, don't pig out, enjoy here and there. Fit in some exercise where you can. Tell yourself a few pounds up is okay, bc you can hit the bricks again hard in January when all the madness is over.

^Agreed. Keep the faith. You're making progress. In another year you'll look back at all of this and realize, this was just a lull before more improvement. That's life.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sprint Tri? It's still swim, bike, run? Do you have a good bike for that?

I put on a few pounds, and to be honest I was off the wagon pretty hard, so they were well deserved punishment. But got my workout setup going again a few weeks ago. Back to doing the StrongLifts 5x5 routine. Started light on the barbell stuff so I can work on my form as it gets heavy. Thursday, I should be squatting my body weight.

Sprints are cool. Usually a half mile swim, 10-15 mile bike... And a 5k run. They're all different though.

Bike is short enough that you can fudge it. Before we had road bikes we'd run road tires on our mountain bikes. I think for the first couple, we'd run mtb tires.

Broke out the NordicTrack Achiever and refurbed it with parts from another I found on CL that had had its major components refurbed, but was structurally failing. What a piece of gear for cardio rehab (I'm horribly deconditioned), flexibility, and muscle strengthening/conditioning.

Brought it online last Monday, so far, knee is holding up, and I'm down 10 lbs. 50, possibly 60, more to go.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Sprint Tri? It's still swim, bike, run? Do you have a good bike for that?

What JJ said - I have a hybrid, newer (2014) Trek. I absolutely do not have 'proper' gear. My game is not to win it, but to finish it. In this case, its a 300M pool swim, 11.5 mile bike, and 3.1 mile ride. All, very doable - I did more than that this weekend. I am not investing in a tri-suit, nor do I even have clip pedals for my bike. Maybe I will by then. I am just in it to finish it, own it, and say I did it. The best/hardest part for me was deciding how to sign up. I can sign up as the 'fat' girl, or just in my age class. I may not meet the 'fat' girl stats by then, though it is over 40lbs from where I am today. We'll see. Either way, I'm doing it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broke out the NordicTrack Achiever and refurbed it with parts from another I found on CL that had had its major components refurbed, but was structurally failing. What a piece of gear for cardio rehab (I'm horribly deconditioned), flexibility, and muscle strengthening/conditioning.

Brought it online last Monday, so far, knee is holding up, and I'm down 10 lbs. 50, possibly 60, more to go.

Keep it up!!! You got this!!!

What JJ said - I have a hybrid, newer (2014) Trek. I absolutely do not have 'proper' gear. My game is not to win it, but to finish it. In this case, its a 300M pool swim, 11.5 mile bike, and 3.1 mile ride. All, very doable - I did more than that this weekend. I am not investing in a tri-suit, nor do I even have clip pedals for my bike. Maybe I will by then. I am just in it to finish it, own it, and say I did it. The best/hardest part for me was deciding how to sign up. I can sign up as the 'fat' girl, or just in my age class. I may not meet the 'fat' girl stats by then, though it is over 40lbs from where I am today. We'll see. Either way, I'm doing it!

Clips add some serious benefit to your ride. You can get a cheap tri suit too... Shaves a good chunk of time off your transition. Read some online tips on transitions. Use a towel on the ground and have a chamoi handy to dry off your feet quicker. I never did the swim as I can't swim for shit, so I would relay it with another person on my team. My wife did the full events though. It's super fun. Better than a 5k, but a ton more prep.

It's addicting. You'll have a wet suit by the end of summer :lol:

Archived