LegacyGT.com

My stage 2, etc. install thread - Q&A

You're going off on unnecessary tangents--this isn't meant to get advice on my build as far as parts are concerned.

No one even mentioned using anything other than the stock intercooler :confused:

Priceless...vendor of pre made Bullet Proof TMIC kits getting advice to go with what he already posted he's going with. :spin:

Rob-2 needs to stick to sharing tales of his sex fiend smokeshow :rolleyes:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will definitely check into it, thanks--and yeah, leaning away from the vamp taps and I don't have an issue with a bit of soldering.

Have you seen my fuse panel pic to wire up gauges? If not, I'll send it to you. I just stripped back wire and wrapped it around the leg of a fuse. It worked fine for me while I had my Defi setup.

• Moderators
Have you seen my fuse panel pic to wire up gauges? If not, I'll send it to you. I just stripped back wire and wrapped it around the leg of a fuse. It worked fine for me while I had my Defi setup.

Send it to meeeeeeee......

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You're going off on unnecessary tangents--this isn't meant to get advice on my build as far as parts are concerned. I've chosen all of my parts for a reason and I'm aware of the benefits or lack-there-of. All of the parts that you are assuming will have little benefit will have significant benefit when a new turbo is added down the road, I'm just choosing to install them now.

No one even mentioned using anything other than the stock intercooler :confused:

My mistake. BP TMIC meant something different to me. Just trying to help, not be an ass. Thought you were looking for feedback - hence the post.

Priceless...vendor of pre made Bullet Proof TMIC kits getting advice to go with what he already posted he's going with. :spin:

Rob-2 needs to stick to sharing tales of his sex fiend smokeshow :rolleyes:

She's coming over tonight. Going to be wild. :icon_cool

congrats on stage 2 brah, tis fun

This isn't his first rodeo :D

Pretty sure BMB did what most of us with an automatic wagon would do... figure out exactly what he wanted, sell it, and bought a manual. :cool: If I'm not mistaken this is his 3rd Legacy he's owned?

Pretty sure BMB did what most of us with an automatic wagon would do... figure out exactly what he wanted, sell it, and bought a manual. :cool: If I'm not mistaken this is his 3rd Legacy he's owned?

The newb went and bought him self an OBXT this time. :lol: Parts list looks good to me BMB. Should be fun when its done.

Also subbed because I need to do my wideband install. I'm going with one of the prewired fuse things though.

• Moderators
congrats on stage 2 brah, tis fun

Thanks, can't wait to be back ;)

Yup. Had an '09 5mt sedan, sold it because wife and I were both taking public transit to work. Bought '05 wagon because I needed a car--it was in great shape and I took it to stage 2 but it was still a 5eat. Found '05 5mt OBXT with ZERO rust--sold the LGT wagon and bought the OBXT. Here I am now :lol:

The newb went and bought him self an OBXT this time. :lol: Parts list looks good to me BMB. Should be fun when its done.

Also subbed because I need to do my wideband install. I'm going with one of the prewired fuse things though.

This newb bought himself a lowered OBXT--a different animal altogether :)

Redline Tuning Hood Struts

Why these ? They don't make the car go faster or stop better do they ?

Just trying to focus your $$$'s on thigns that make a difference.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Redline Tuning Hood Struts

Why these ? They don't make the car go faster or stop better do they ?

Just trying to focus your $$$'s on thigns that make a difference.

They'll make me happy everytime I open the hood :) Most of the other stuff is pretty bare bones / necessity based. STI UP instead of something aftermarket, cobb downpipe is spendy but i found a good deal used, BP TMIC kit (i know a guy who gives me a good deal :lol:). Nearly all of the other parts are used as well (or I already have them from the previous car)

I definitely can't argue with you though: they fix a problem that doesn't exist, so yes, they are just straight bling.

• Moderators

So here's another question. Previous owner installed one-step colder NGK plugs. I don't believe I need them, but the car has been running fine with them.

I have a set of stock plugs on the shelf, is it worth changing them out or should I just run with the plugs that are in there now? I've done plugs before and don't mind the job terribly, just not sure if it's worth the effort...

So here's another question. Previous owner installed one-step colder NGK plugs. I don't believe I need them, but the car has been running fine with them.

I have a set of stock plugs on the shelf, is it worth changing them out or should I just run with the plugs that are in there now? I've done plugs before and don't mind the job terribly, just not sure if it's worth the effort...

If it's running fine you should leave them alone until it's time to change them. Just my .02...

First question: what's the consensus on using splice connectors for wiring? I need to power the PLX unit and I'm thinking about just splicing into the cigarette plug wiring.

Vampire taps suck. Don't use them. Since your WBO2 sensor will be permanently damaged if the engine is run without the sensor being powered up, don't take this chance.

Next, if you take the power for your wideband controller from the ciggie lighter circuit you will quickly discover what else is connected to that, the audio head unit. My Innovate LC-1 controller makes a lot of digital noise on it's power supply which was immediately audible through the stereo when powered from the ciggie lighter circuit. I had to run the power wire in a loop as far from the head unit as possible and tap into another ACC supply at the cabin fuse box with a fuse tap like this:

http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/pioneer_tuner/buss_fuse_tap.jpg

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Moderators
Vampire taps suck. Don't use them. Since your WBO2 sensor will be permanently damaged if the engine is run without the sensor being powered up, don't take this chance.

Next, if you take the power for your wideband controller from the ciggie lighter circuit you will quickly discover what else is connected to that, the audio head unit. My Innovate LC-1 controller makes a lot of digital noise on it's power supply which was immediately audible through the stereo when powered from the ciggie lighter circuit. I had to run the power wire in a loop as far from the head unit as possible and tap into another ACC supply at the cabin fuse box with a fuse tap like this:

Thanks, I'll go with the add-a-fuse options and I'll be snipping off the ends and soldering/heat shrinking the connections. (or I may just do what hicksta's setup shows, it's pretty clean)

I'll get power for the VBG1 through the ignition fuse since that's what it instructs. Any advice on which fuse to piggyback for the PLX-AFR power?

If I have time tomorrow I'll look see which one I tapped.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'd go driver side on the VBG1 since that's where your display will be (less wiring overall I'd think. I don't have Advance here :( Napa, O'reilly's and Autozone are the bigger ones and we have a regional chain called Baxter's.

THIS. Exactly what I did with my VBG1, including the add-a-fuse.

Archived