Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks!

The fender badges reminds me of the old Alfa badges...

http://www.mopar.eu/PublishingImages/merchandising/alfa_romeo/mito/gallery/940x500_badge-quadrifolgio_71806061.jpg

The Club is really nice... like a coupe with the top up, best of both worlds. And since it will be the weekend drive car, the NA can go hardcore track rat... :)

Thanks!

The Club is really nice... like a coupe with the top up, best of both worlds. And since it will be the weekend drive car, the NA can go hardcore track rat... :)

How does it drive in comparison to your NA? Other than being cushier/more ergonomic and comfortable- does it handle the same or better? Feel faster? Shift as well?

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a club NC in place of my turbo NA and keep reading the same phrase: "The NC is a better car, the NA is a better Miata." Do you feel similarly since you own both?

• I Donated
How does it drive in comparison to your NA? Other than being cushier/more ergonomic and comfortable- does it handle the same or better? Feel faster? Shift as well?

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a club NC in place of my turbo NA and keep reading the same phrase: "The NC is a better car, the NA is a better Miata." Do you feel similarly since you own both?

Never driven an NA, but my experience with NB vs NC is thus: NC is a better car. it's better in every measurable way. it's faster, more comfortable, and just feels newer. The NB felt more visceral, connected, like a miata should. There was a disconnect with the NC that I just didn't like.

"The NC is a better car, the NA is a better Miata."

There is some truth to this, but some clarification is in order...

The NA is a very visceral car. Connected and very analog. Mine has aftermarket suspension and chassis mods, as well as 'near-race' tires (Dunlop ZIIs). It has enough grip to make passengers squeal, and near perfect balance. It doesn't get much better. The powertrain is still stock 1.6, however, so I'm guessing ~95 whp... As long as I can get up to speed and maintain momentum, it hauls. Acceleration... not so much... :lol:

Although it has AC, power steering and power windows, it's very basic, noisy and raw. I very rarely drive it with the top up, and it's always been a weekend driver, not a DD.

The NC is much more refined, especially with the PRHT. With the top up, it's nearly as quiet as most coupes. Good AC, creature comforts, etc. The ergonomics and interface between driver and car are every bit as excellent as the NA. Shifts great, pedals are perfect for heel/toe. The handling is not as sharp, but was probably equal or better to my NA when it was stock. It has a lot of body roll, which can be dealt with by being smooth. It has lots of grip (mine has the stock Bridgestone RE050s), and is very neutral when it gets loose. It has considerably more acceleration than my NA. Honestly, it's a perfectly civilized DD that can cut loose on the weekends.

So, back to the question... The original NA was supposed to be a 'modern' and 'reliable' incarnation of the quintessential British Roadster. To me the NC is exactly that, but extrapolated to what 'modern' means now, rather than 1989. It's not quite as raw, but it's a much better DD, that can still play on the weekends. It would be a much better DD than a turbo NA, though probably not as fast, depending on how much HP you're making. The biggest thing to me is the PRHT... with a soft top it looses some of the points that make it really good for DD. Top goes up/down in seconds from the driver's seat, and is secure, quiet and better in adverse weather than a soft top.

For me, the NC will fulfill the civilized role of weekend excursion car that I can enjoy with my wife, and provide her with a fun, reliable DD, while freeing the NA to become the attack dog track toy that it really wants to be. :D

Although it has AC, power steering and power windows, it's very basic, noisy and raw.

this is funny to me. My spec miata is very basic, noisy and raw. It has no ac, no power steering, no windows, a fixed hard top, slicks, and almost zero suspension travel. I wish I had gotten tags to drive it on the street. :spin:

my last non-awd car was an 88 dodge shadow that was rotting from the inside. I kept ripping up the rotted parts so the smell didn't totally wipe me out on the way to work. By the time I sold it, there was no insulation left, the muffler was a hollowed out shell, and I'd be deaf after 20 minutes. Perhaps I've lost the meaning of comfortable DD.

Don't read too much into it. My NA is still VERY streetable with the FM V-Maxx suspension, of course the spring rates (400/260) are low compared to a dedicated track setup. 949 recommends 700/400 with their Xidas.

driving my track setup on the road, I'd have to wear a mouth guard to keep from breaking a tooth. It's brutal on a ruff track, akin to a go kart on a rough track...your vision blurs after awhile.

30 minutes of track driving and I'm completely wasted. More than once, I'd come into the pits gulp food & drink for 5 minutes then crash in the trailer until the next session.

Don't read too much into it. My NA is still VERY streetable with the FM V-Maxx suspension, of course the spring rates (400/260) are low compared to a dedicated track setup. 949 recommends 700/400 with their Xidas.

What version of the V-Maxx do you have I'm thinking about getting the classics with their sways.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I have the classics. For the $$ I think they're pretty hard to beat for a street Miata setup. I'm still on stock sways, and though it has very little body roll, I'm planning on the 949 sway bar setup for the next step, then urethane bushings.

Compression test on the 1.8L in my Miata...175, 170, 175, 185. A little more difference than i'd like and a little on the low side but should be just fine for now

9% window, what's the manual say?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 3 weeks later...
Don't forget to replace the 'cursed water plug' while you're in there... (this might be part of the re-route... I don't really remember).

Yeah I think it gets replaced with the reroute. I also have a new ecu temp sensor to put in.

I did the stickshift rebuild today. All the plastic bits were done. What a difference! I also replaced the pcv.

I did that recently also and it's amazing how it transformed my gearbox. It's like a whole new car.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

When I got my NA all the boots and plastic bushings were trashed as well... made a big difference replacing all that stuff. I'm running an eBay short shifter in it now with a Moddiction extension, and I like it a lot.

What trans fluid are you using? I can vouch for the Motorcraft stuff everyone on M.net uses... works great. In fact I just replaced the trans fluid in the wife's NC with the Motorcraft fluid.